S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Keyless Go Chip Cards! Parts Availability!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Keyless Go Chip Cards! Parts Availability!

Hi,
Got an interesting and complicated dilemma... Who remembers the CL and Sclass chip cards?!
I sure do from back in the day!
Anyway, got a new car. No chip card with it... Option is there though (engine start button on shifter and L/UL button on door handles.) Also, msg on dash saying Chip Card not present or similar. Brand new style chrome key (the newest version of it.)
Keyless Go of course doesnt work....

Called dealer to order a new Chip card! Should be no big deal.....
They dont make the cards anymore!! Actually, called 4 dealers across my 3 states!
Same answer. No cards. Told me I was SOL basically... Lol... WTF ??

Though I know you cannot with Keys, as programmed in TX for the cars - I thought I could maybe order a used Chip card from Ebay. Asked if it could be reprogrammed, to which I was told NO...

I then asked if I could order a brand new key, and have it programmed to work with KG. The answer was NO....

Apparently Keyless Go just will never work in this car again...
So my final thought - if Star computer can disable KG feature, removing stupid dash msg reminding me of Missing Chip card... does anyone know??? They said they will investigate if I bring the car in...

Any other ideas for me????? Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
When I bought my 2003 years ago, it came with the plastic key + key card and a chrome key. The chrome key worked with keyless go and as I didn't want to carry around the key card, just hung it up for spare. No issue.

Did the dealer even attempt to get you another smart key to see if it would even work?
Old 11-09-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
ive always heard the chrome keys dont work with keyless go ~_^
they of course work in the ignition but wont turn on the car simply by holding your foot on the break and pressing the button on the shifter
Old 11-09-2016, 12:14 PM

E-Class
I guess I got lucky in my 03 (bought as is). My 06 s65 was different, no chrome key worked and i couldn't order one thru my indy either.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG, 2008 W221 S65 AMG
The information seems to be random all over.

On 2003-2006 Keyless cars (in the UK) if you order a keyless key, you will get the older black plastic key. They say the chrome key doesnt work with Keyless

However, There are many reports of people with the chrome keys working with keyless, and my 08 221 S65 has a chrome keyless key.....
Old 11-16-2016, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys,
First of all, your My2008 S63 had a chrome key when new, because that's how they came from the factory, since My2007.

Let me pick your gents brains a bit. As stated above, when ordering a key for let's say a 2003 S55, the poster above stated that you would receive the black plastic key, as chrome keys do not work with KG....

So, About that.... Does that still happen today?? Because there is info here that you can quite easily replace the KG module in the trunk with one from a KG 2004+ vehicle.... BUT, that you need the Black plastic key (like the car originally came with new!) Not the chip card, the key.

Let's talk about keys:
I'm close to embarking on this project myself. However, the problem I'm having with this, and, the question of the day is:

Just above you guys referenced PLASTIC keyless go keys. These are the black ones, which the car came with new, obviously.
You stated the Chrome KG keys are NOT usable in this arrangement. I've done lots of research lately, and that was the EXACT same answer I learned from various other sources - Chrome KG keys will not work!!

That said, let's reference the types of keys. There are three in the 2000's.
1. Black plastic. Made until My2006.
2. My2007 "Original" chrome key. Flat buttons that are not raised. This ran until (approx) maybe My2011?
3. Newest & current chrome key. Raised buttons, which are separate from each other.

When any MB owner ordered a key from years 2007-2011, they got key #2. Key #1 part number was SUPERCEDED by key #2. Likewise, any MB owner ordering a key from 2011-current gets key #3, because again that part number has been Superceded!

FTWorth TX does NOT keep spare inventory of old keys - they are COMPLETELY unavailable!!!
And, as we all know - keys are married to a car & can not be reused once programmed!!!

So, since you said "Black plastic" keys MUST be used here (key #1) - is the ONLY option to HOPE & PRAY to find a BRAND NEW, UNUSED, UNPROGRAMMED Black plastic key #1 from an Ebayseller (to then retrofit with newer style KG module)?????

Is it EVEN POSSIBLE to find an unused black plastic key???? Did FW even sell or distribute them, since they do all the coding for
dealers? dealers?
??

Thanks in advance for the valuable insight & info!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI for a reference point: on a 2003 W220 WITH Keyless Go, with NO Chip card, (a car I just acquired):

The car has THE NEWEST key, #3.
Of course, KG does not work....
That said, the newest key was provided very recently to the prior owner. Only w few months ago.... So dealers DO IN FACT provide them...

Does the owner of a 2003 W220 get their choice of new chrome key #3 or black plastic key #1 (like original), when going in to order a brand new key TODAY (Nov 2016)????

To make KG work, and receive a black plastic key #1 though, is beyond me...!?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
S55 Designo
There is a thread around here by JNASH about something like this. He has a 03 S55, he switched out his keyless go module for a 04-06 keyless go module and programmed it with star.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
the keylessgo frequencies in the 2004 black plastic keys is different than the freq used in the later chrome keys. Sure the freq are all the same for the EIS so you can use a chrome key to start the car, you just cant use the chrome keys for keylessgo
IF anyone finds a source for blank black plastic keylessgo keys I'm sure everyone would like to know. The part number was 230 766 0306 9999 Now a parts guy might find you a newer part number and its likely to be chrome and it can be programmed to start your car but the keylessGo wont. He may not understand that when you order so be mindful.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Originally Posted by jnash
the keylessgo frequencies in the 2004 black plastic keys is different than the freq used in the later chrome keys. Sure the freq are all the same for the EIS so you can use a chrome key to start the car, you just cant use the chrome keys for keylessgo
I remember going going to the dealership for a new key, they said the same thing the new chrome key will work to unlock lock and start but the keyless function wont. I would have to order a black key for $500 for the keyless go function or $250 for the chrome. Maybe there is a way in star to disable the chip card or maybe reprogram the system to just accommodate the keys? Im not sure about that however, maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in
Old 11-18-2016, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I have a 2004 E class, chrome key, and keyless go works. Maybe the receiver is newer?

I also have a 2006 CLS with black keys. The KG faded away a while ago, I'd like to fix it, but now both keys have been through the laundry.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IF anyone finds a source for blank black plastic keylessgo keys I'm sure everyone would like to know. The part number was 230 766 0306 9999 Now a parts guy might find you a newer part number and its likely to be chrome and it can be programmed to start your car but the keylessGo wont. He may not understand that when you order so be mindful.

Thanks for all your feedback in this subject, mr. jnash!

For clarification purposes (at least a simple Yes/No if you cannot say or do not recall your source, but):
..... in 2012-2013 when you yourself did this mod, you DID obviously acquire a black plastic key #1, for this purpose, correct??.....

That's nearly unheard of, and surprises me immensely, since the chrome keys had been out & superceded the part number of the black keys by 5+ years!!!!!
I assumed no stock was left?? Maybe they sold old inventory if you specifically requested it?? (Ie. the black key)
Good for you though, you found the unicorn!

Next, if I may ask, did you acquire the key from a dealer? Cheers!
Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akmatic63
I remember going going to the dealership for a new key, they said the same thing the new chrome key will work to unlock lock and start but the keyless function wont. I would have to order a black key for $500 for the keyless go function or $250 for the chrome. Maybe there is a way in star to disable the chip card or maybe reprogram the system to just accommodate the keys? Im not sure about that however, maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in

When were you offered the $500 black plastic key?? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:38 PM

2017 S63
i got the key from the dealer here in Houston. The key was programmed in the regional parts location in Forth Worth (TX Dallas) area and sent to the dealership where I picked it up.
At the time back then once I did the retrofit with the first black key, I then ordered another to have two keys.

To the gentleman with the e-class, my only comment is that I am pretty sure the technology or at least the freq's used in the E class were and still may have been different. I was never able to cross reference any of the W220 keylessgo system parts with the W211 at least back then.
Hope this helps
-Jim
The following users liked this post:
StarvingArtist (11-19-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i got the key from the dealer here in Houston. The key was programmed in the regional parts location in Forth Worth (TX Dallas) area and sent to the dealership where I picked it up.
At the time back then once I did the retrofit with the first black key, I then ordered another to have two keys.

To the gentleman with the e-class, my only comment is that I am pretty sure the technology or at least the freq's used in the E class were and still may have been different. I was never able to cross reference any of the W220 keylessgo system parts with the W211 at least back then.
Hope this helps
-Jim

You're lucky! Okay, thanks very much for the input!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have accomplished this!!
Replaced the Keyless Go module in trunk myself, with a 2004-2005 model one.
Force-Ordered black plastic KG key (jnash specified part number), for this VIN.
Had KG key reprogrammed with DAS into one of the two available KG key tracks on these cars (newer cars aren't limited to only two slots, but older cars are.)
Andddd..... Works fine now!!
There you all have it. Just done, in Dec of 16.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM

2017 S63
Excellent news, Well done and congrats!
I had recently heard from someone else that the black plastic W220 KG key was still in stock. Just a slight correction to your process if I may, the KG key was not reprogrammed with DAS, what happened in that process is that the KG module mapped the new Key to be allowed to start the car. Once it's mapped the EIS (ignition) module will start the car with an instruction from the KG module when it recognizes your key.
Also, I am not sure why you only saw two slots, as there are always 24 slots (3x8 banks) that I have ever seen. What number did they programme your key to (1-8)? and did you notice during the key mapping in DAS that it matched the same slot?
Now, go buy a spare key and have two!

Last edited by jnash; 12-31-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 PM

E-Class
Mercedes of Stevens Creek just replaced a keyless-go 2005 CLK black plastic key with the new chrome one. My buddy's car so at least we know that the dealer can and will do chrome keys and program it with push button working normally. No work done other then ordering it with proof of ownership.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM

2017 S63
yes, the chrome key CAN replace a plastic key but it wont ever support KeylessGo since the freq's are different on the chrome key and wont match the the KG module or antennas.
So, it will unlock your car and start it wiht the key in the Eis module (starter switch).
Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 PM

E-Class
I hear what you're saying, I read your above post. But it didn't change the fact that I started my s55 with the keyless, thats why I mentioned "push button" not just the keyless-entry, but actually keyless-go GO START THAT M113k!!!

Now I can't prove that since I do not own that car anymore, however, I'm watching a video showing the chrome key working on the CLK. It works, can you explain that? Dealer paper shows only invoice for key and vehicle was never left with dealer.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 PM

2017 S63
oh, sorry i missed that part. I believe the CLK uses a different KG module setup with diff freq than the W220's. Check part numbers, I bet they are not compatible between the W220 and the CLKs

That means the dealer can provide a chrome key and IF he programs the key to a track (slot) that was used before (like a replacement key) as apposed to an additional key, then STAR is not required to map it as its already mapping that slot.
sakodik (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Excellent news, Well done and congrats!
I had recently heard from someone else that the black plastic W220 KG key was still in stock. Just a slight correction to your process if I may, the KG key was not reprogrammed with DAS, what happened in that process is that the KG module mapped the new Key to be allowed to start the car. Once it's mapped the EIS (ignition) module will start the car with an instruction from the KG module when is recognizes your key.
Also, I am not sure why you only saw two slots, as there are always 24 slots (3x8 banks) that I have ever seen. What number did they programme your key to (1-8)? and did you notice during the key mapping in DAS that it matched the same slot?
Now, go buy a spare key and have two!

Hi my friend. Thanks!
I didn't look in DAS or anything like that. In fact, I haven't even seen the car or key - as I've been out of town for about 3 weeks and left car w dealer for some work while gone. This is what they called and told me.

Supposedly, the new key is Key #5, but the KG portion is programmed into KG "Slot" #2, apparently....
Just what I'm told. But it all works flawlessly I guess!

And to other poster above: I believe the Chrome key (using KG) works JUST FINE in, and can be ordered for, 2004-2006 CLK, E-class, etc.
BUT the S-Class and CL is a completely different story, as they used CHIP CARDS....
I had a 2005 E55 with KG and bought a new chrome key which worked great! But, the car never came with CHIP CARDS either...!
THAT is the difference!
​​​​
sakodik (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 PM

E-Class
That explains the chrome working for my 2003 s55. The s65 was a no go when I tried without researching cause I had used the chrome key with the s55 before. Odd, I'll get a new key with them later next month and report back what went on. Pretty sure I'll get a black plastic though lol.

Fyi I had both the chip and chrome key working for the 2003 with push button starting.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Hey, I don't own a KG car but I have been working on the keys a bit so I'll add my 2 cents.

The keys are of 3 models, as you have ascertained.

1. Black Plastic
2. Original Chrome (round panic button)
3. 2nd Chrome (triangle panic button)

I have been helping people out fixing keys and/or transferring brains from black plastic to the original Chrome keys. To be able to do so, there are a few part numbers, but it is vitally important that the Chrome key is NOT KeyLess Go. The Keyless Go ones require more than the simple slight of hand of moving an EEPROM chip. They have more ICs on the PCB, and can not be used.

So, there is a KLG and a NKLG version. If you use those acronyms you will find sellers on Ebay selling by the dozen. I think there are tools to reprogram the chips for those who pay for the tools and info.

The outside of all Chrome keys with round panic button is the same, but the internals are different. It MIGHT be. possible to use our trick on black plastic KLG that mate with card, but I know of nobody who does this.

The newer keys are very different. They don't have a PCB that slides out, they are glued together and must be destroyed to get PCB out. These are current keys with triangular panic button.

I would be interested to see.a pic of a KLG black plastic PCB to compare to regular ones.

There is an NEC chip that we move from black plastic PCB to NKLG Chrome PCB and that moves the key function to the Chrome key. However, despite the KLG having this same chip, moving the EEPROM over from NKLG black to KLG Chrome results in a non-functional key.

Sadly, the clever locksmiths who KNOW how all this works are exactly the sort to not run blabbing on forums with "how to" guides

TL;DR version, there may be some folks with advanced knowledge who could do what you want and create these things by reading existing keys or EEPROMs in EIS. I can't do any of those things but I imagine someone could.
alexanderfoti (12-31-2016)