S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S55 AMG Alternator/ SAM/Electrical Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S55 AMG Silver, 2003 CL600 Black Opal Metalic, 2005 CLK500 Silver (sold)& Orion Blue (sold)
S55 AMG Alternator/ SAM/Electrical Gremlins?

Picked up a gem from a kid who didn't know what he had nor could he handle what it needed. It's a 2001 S55 AMG with 133k. Not new, but it's clean and I got it for a price that I couldn't argue with even though it would need repairs. Just a pre-curser to the issues, the suspension was previously converted to coils with bypass module (major plus imo as I've had to incur this expense on my CL600). Car has wires attached by driver door for Sirus radio. He has tape deck wired for iPhone integration. Aftermarket tv's wired into headrests.

When the kid brought me the car, it had an engine light on- said it needed an 02 sensor, I drove it- noticed nothing except a slight vibration in reverse only. Went to go get the cash and on the way back, it wouldn't turn over, just clicked. He said he had just replaced the battery, it had never done this before. I left him on the side off the road. Kid called me about an hour later, claimed it must have been a defective battery. He had his brother take him to auto zone, swapped it out for another and the car started right up. Engine light was out, I bought it. It ran a little rougher than it had before, but I figured that was a symptom of the 02 sensor.

Since then, I've driven it minimally as my "benz guy" has been on vacation and won't be back till next Monday. I dint want to do any damage to the catalytic if it was in fact an 02 sensor.
What I've noticed:
Acceleration is slow, but seems to be no loss of power-haven't pushed it, no highway
Shudders a bit when I'm idling at a light- feels like it may stall, but doesn't
Still vibrates in reverse
Warning for FL side marker light- light comes on when I first turn headlights on, but goes out
Warning for FL & FR standing light- not even sure what those are, but all other lights seem to work
Warning once for Right mirror turn signal- light was and is working fine

Christmas Eve we had a good amount of rain, I checked it mid afternoon for signs of water- nothing visibly wet in trunk anywhere, or in cabin. Everything felt dry. Drove it that night and received a weak start and abs light on the way back. It flashed 3 times and went out/ only when my foot was on the brake. Brakes felt normal.

Didn't drive it Christmas. A little more rain today and when I go to start it, It clicks 3-4 times but won't turn over. I went out an hour later to check menu for alternator voltage and oil level. The instrument cluster lights are there, but no other dash lights with the key in the third position (ready to start). In accessory (second position) I have dash illumination (speedometer, message center, etc.). Then that starts to fade out/come back/out/back/out completely. Turn key to third position and no lights. I turned the key back and took it out, tried to put it back it and turn it again, ignition is locked in that position, cant turn key. Try to lock it up and key fob won't lock it, lights won't blink, etc. Locked it manually.

Looked up a few things and finally called Mercedes USA and they sent a tech free of charge to jump me at around 9pm. He hooked the battery up to a charger and the car started right up. Same situation as when I bought it, engine light went out, it ran a little rough. He told me to let it run for 20-25 mins and have it looked at as soon as I could because it was running rough. He said it may be a coil, but it's not normal. The car had a vibration to it. As it came up to temperature it was running and sounding smooth and almost normal. I heard a pinging sound come from the undercarriage a few times.

The warnings for the lights cycled, so I turned them on since I had to let it run anyway. Here's where things got really weird. I turned the lights on and the radio went silent/ abs light flashed- a couple of seconds later radio has sound. I did this probably five times and same thing with the radio and the flash of abs light. First time this has happened. I turn the lights off, turn the car off and the dash is dark-it's supposed to stay illuminated, remind me to take key, etc. I go to turn key and ignition is locked again, battery dead as a doornail like it hadn't just run for 30 mins. Keyfob won't work to lock it, I locked it manually.

Any ideas, experience or theories are welcomed here. I have a few ideas, but I don't know where to start. My guy is gone for another week, so that gives me time to at least pin point the probable culprits. Saves some time and some money doing trial and error later.