S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

S63 M156 Head Bolt Issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 S63
S63 M156 Head Bolt Issue?

I'm looking at purchasing a 2010 S63 or 2012 C63... I see a lot of talk about head stud issue on the pre 2012 C63 but can't find much on the S63.. I was essentially looking for a C63 but when I found out I could pick up an S63 for close to the same money I'm looking into that... I'm looking for a car between 50k-80k.. I'm a diy guy that has never owned a German car and to be honest it sounds like the S63 could be much more of a headache compared to the C63 which most say is bulletproof.. This vehicle will be used as a daily driver.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want the N/A 6.2 not the 5.5 TT that's why I'm I'm not comparing the same year vehicle.. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 264 Likes on 213 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
My understanding is that head bolt issue affected ALL M156 engines but was resolved with upgraded bolts in mid-09. So depending upon your build date, you may be fine on the '10 S.

Of course. It is an S, so it's a F'load more car than a C, which means a F'load more can go wrong and will cost more to maintain. But an S is an S and a C is a C -- two completely different vehicles. WAY more luxury and refinement in the S, way more fun in the C.

My first Benz was an S AMG, and I haven't found it oppressive, maintenance wise. But it's also not a daily driver. You should drive them both. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

maw
Old 01-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 S63
Thanks maw I appreciate your response. I know the S is a big step above the C. Personally I would prefer the S63. I also figured I could get a lot more for my money purchasing a used S63 at close to the same price of the C63. But cost of ownership on the S63 looks to be a lot more.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 264 Likes on 213 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
I'd get the S, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Reading this forum will give you a good sense of what goes wrong, but to me that boils down to two categories: (1) gizmos, for which I have no comment (keyless go, trunk close, parktronic, distronic, etc.); and (2) ABC. For ABC, just change the fluid every 2 years like power steering or brake fluid and you'll be fine most likely. But the car is 6 years old, so how much damage you can "undo" is a mystery. Depending upon what your commute is like, be sure to check with your dealer about what brakes cost. The car isn't a real problem for me, but the car as a daily in stop and go traffic seems like a lot.

maw
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63
The head bolt concern effects all M156 motors. I don't recall the year that the bolts were changed, but maw mentioned mid-'09, which may be correct. I believe that the worries are overblown for engines run in stock form...but that's a call that only you can make in the end. There are fixes for the head bolts, which just means changing them out for ARP studs. If memory serves, the kit is about $1k. Some people have changed them out one stud at a time without pulling the heads or replacing the gaskets. Do your research and determine if you want to go that route. The safest way is to remove the head and replace the gasket. But, that requires special tools for the cam sprockets. At that point, I'd be paying someone to do that work.

If you want the S63, get the S63.
Yes, there are things that can go wrong with it, but if you do PREVENTATIVE maintenance instead of waiting for things to go wrong, you minimize your chances of catastrophic failures and the corresponding expenses.

Im working on a write up describing my past 2 years and ~30k miles of ownership of my S63 as a Daily Driver. Overall, its a great car with no real issues.

Brakes are going to be expensive, more so on the S63 than on the C63; however do your research and by doing the work yourself, you can again minimize those costs. Instead of paying the dealer $5k for rotors and pads on both axles, Im going to be in $3k + my labor with Racing Brake rotors and Porterfield pads.

As far as tires go, both cars are going to destroy rears quickly. I think I get about 15k-20k out of rears, and fronts should be good for about 40k in my S63. I would expect a C63 to be similar, but check with C63 owners for real numbers.

Gas mileage should be similar on both cars. Realistically, you aren't going to be getting 20 on the open highway. In mixed driving I seem to average about 14-15. As long as your expectations are realistic, you wont be disappointed. Then again, these are those types of vehicles where fuel costs should be the least of your concerns.

The ABC in the W221 S class is much improved over the W220 version. You can still blow a hose, requiring a $1k replacement at your local indy, but if you change fluid regularly the chances of a massive repair bill are greatly diminished.

Anyhow, its your money. Get the car that you want and that your pocketbook can afford. The S class is a much more comfortable car, while the C is more sporty. Two completely different vehicles.