S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

ECU upgrade for C217 S63 Amg Coupe USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz S63 AMG Coupe 4Matic
Cool ECU upgrade for C217 S63 Amg Coupe USA

i am going to be getting an ecu tune for my 2017 s63 coupe. I wanted to know what tunes were available that would still be covered under warranty. I am sure this topic has been spoken about prior but i am new and need some help. Renntech says theirs will not void warranty. I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this before and could give me some advice. anything is helpful. Thank everyone

P.S. I am also looking to swap my wood interior for the comet tail black lacquer trim. If anyone knows where to get the trim sets (not through dealer $$$$$$) let me know. please and thank you again
Old 11-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
They are correct. A RT ECU calibration will not void warranty if done at the dealer.

You can wrap the interior trim in gloss black.
The following 2 users liked this post by shardul:
COOPERDB (11-11-2016), Dan_B (11-14-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S63 cab and Ferrari 458 Italia
I just got back my Mercedes S 63 cabriolet with stage 2 Renntech ECU tune (Plus new air filter and spark plugs per the dealerships recommendations). As already mentioned because the Benz dealer did the work they said it will not affect the warranty at all. It was a very fast car before but it's pretty ridiculous now with all this extra power ( I also have a Ferrari 458 Italia and used to have a Porsche 977.2 turbo S so I know what a fast car is in the S63 is definitely fast). Nothing like ripping from 0 to 130mph while receiving a hot stone massage:-)
Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Sorry I meant Porsche 997.2 turbo s.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM

A couple quick pics...

Last edited by Samk; 11-15-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by shardul
They are correct. A RT ECU calibration will not void warranty if done at the dealer.
This is 100% incorrect

RT will tell you the warranty isn't voided ... ask them to put it in writing

Not picking on RT, every tuner says the same thing yet no one puts it in writing because it does, in fact, void the OEM warranty

The only "out" is some dealers will tell you they, not corporate, will absorb all warranty issues ... but you should get this in writing from the dealership GM
Old 11-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Jenz,

You are 100% incorrect, what I said as well as the other poster would be accurate.

This is my fifth AMG Mercedes and I never modded any of them because of warranty however things have recently changed.

My Mercedes dealership (Mercedes of Henderson Nevada) did the Renntech work. In writing on email because I was nervous they let me know it would be covered (not Renntech the actual Mercedes dealership). I can't speak for other dealerships but I can say with 100% confidence and I have it in writing via email from the Mercedes dealership here in Henderson Nevada the Mercedes factory warranty is in no way affected.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 AM

S, GL
Originally Posted by Samk
My Mercedes dealership (Mercedes of Henderson Nevada) did the Renntech work. In writing on email because I was nervous they let me know it would be covered (not Renntech the actual Mercedes dealership). I can't speak for other dealerships but I can say with 100% confidence and I have it in writing via email from the Mercedes dealership here in Henderson Nevada the Mercedes factory warranty is in no way affected.
Your situation is exactly the "out" I described - some installing dealerships will warranty the work themselves

But to tell people that the warranty is unaffected is 100% incorrect and very misleading since the OEM go-to-any-dealership warranty is gone for powertrain

Say you pop a piston in CA and are stuck there - the CA dealers will not make any repairs under warranty since they will see the mod and flag the system

You'll have the car towed back to Henderson, who will do the work under their specific agreement with you
Old 11-16-2016, 10:28 AM

S, GL
Not many people, myself included, publicize when we lose the mod vs OEM warranty battle, we just learn the hard way and move on

Status 8 is death

If you tune, you have 3 choices
1 installation shop warranties the work
2 mod company (Brabus, RT, Weistec) warranties the work
3 accept the risks and pay out of pocket
The following users liked this post:
Dan_B (11-17-2016)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 S550 coupe and 2018 AMG GTR
If you do get a tune can and the tuner flashes it back to stock before you take it in, would mercedes still know?
im looking to get mine tuned by a local company. so i can easily remove it if i need to.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 AM

S, GL
Originally Posted by sattman
If you do get a tune can and the tuner flashes it back to stock before you take it in, would mercedes still know?
im looking to get mine tuned by a local company. so i can easily remove it if i need to.
There is NO tune that cannot be found by corporate - this will hold true across all cars and all brands. If corporate suspects a tune caused damage and sends out a tech, you are done.

Go look at the recent thread in the other S63 forum about renntech and status 8.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jenz
There is NO tune that cannot be found by corporate - this will hold true across all cars and all brands. If corporate suspects a tune caused damage and sends out a tech, you are done.

Go look at the recent thread in the other S63 forum about renntech and status 8.
There are different kind of tunes:
- reflash ECU: ECU has to be send in......flash counter shows manufacturer if the ECU was tuned or not
- external tune boxes via sensors: easily mounted/reversable, no detection by manafacturer when reversed, performance increase "disputable", no vMax delimiter
- external tune box via CANBus: easily mounted/reversable, no detection by manafacturer when reversed, performance increase like ECU reflash?, vMax delimiter possible

Example of the latter type is this one: http://www.performmaster.de/s-63-amg/ (anyone has (good/bad) experience with this kind of tune?)

But ok, to respect warranty, better leave everything original.

PS, ECU of the via the OBDII connector would be ideal (and easily reversible) but currently not available for the C217, but for older cars a good alternative compared to ECU removal.

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 03-20-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Jenz,

You are 100% incorrect, what I said as well as the other poster would be accurate.

This is my fifth AMG Mercedes and I never modded any of them because of warranty however things have recently changed.

I'm sorry but unfortunately you are wrong.
I had 15 AMGs in total over the last 17 years and all of them were tuned.
Never had any problem with the dealer but the factory WILL NOT approve any warranty repairs on Renntech or any other tuner car if they know it has it.
One of my cars, SL65 had some handling issues the dealer could not resolve so they called MB tech from MBUSA.
That issue had nothing to do with a tune but a newly hired SA spilled that fact to the factory guy while having a casual conversation.
Guy immediately stopped his work and slapped Status 8 on my car.
Whoever told you that MBUSA tolerates Renntech (or any other) is either lying or is misinformed.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:27 PM

S, GL
Originally Posted by absent
Never had any problem with the dealer but the factory WILL NOT approve any warranty repairs on Renntech or any other tuner car if they know it has it.
One of my cars, SL65 had some handling issues the dealer could not resolve so they called MB tech from MBUSA.
That issue had nothing to do with a tune but a newly hired SA spilled that fact to the factory guy while having a casual conversation.
Whoever told you that MBUSA tolerates Renntech (or any other) is either lying or is misinformed.
Thank you

This concept of tuned without risking the factory warranty is always answered incorrectly by those that simply don't know or listen to what renntech etc SAY but never put in WRITING

All tuners have an account at MB world - if you don't trust me, PM Renntech Weistec Eurocharged and ask them to post publicly that the OEM warranty is unaffected by the tune, and that they will warranty your car if MB does invalidate your OEM warranty
Old 03-31-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by absent

I beg to differ and I've had 17 AMGs in 15 years:-)

From a legal perspective if the Mercedes dealership put in writing that it is covered and they (the dealer) do the work, including putting Renntech badges on the outside of the car it would be very difficult for them to not cover the warranty. I'd be shocked if they would try to say it's not covered but if they did a simple letter from an attorney would squash it immediately. There are rules and protocol but then there is logic and liability. The dealership isn't taking a chance if they've done the things I've already mentioned (did the work and it's in writing the car will be covered).
Old 03-31-2017, 07:22 PM

S, GL
I beg to differ and I've had 17 AMGs in 15 years:-)

From a legal perspective if the Mercedes dealership put in writing that it is covered and they (the dealer) do the work, including putting Renntech badges on the outside of the car it would be very difficult for them to not cover the warranty. I'd be shocked if they would try to say it's not covered but if they did a simple letter from an attorney would squash it immediately. There are rules and protocol but then there is logic and liability. The dealership isn't taking a chance if they've done the things I've already mentioned (did the work and it's in writing the car will be covered).
SAMK you're causing confusion here

I've already written that most installing dealerships will backstop warranty repairs THEMSELVES - regardless of what you have in writing, this is what you have

You're wildly mistaken if you still think you're nationwide warranty is not at risk

You have a power train issue in CA, the MB dealer there - if he's nice will not note the system but will tell you to have Henderson flat bed the car back to NV

You cite logic so let's use it here - how can Henderson's email override MB corporate

MB corporate provided your nationwide warranty - Henderson MB lacks authority

Your logic is the same as an apartment maintenance worker having the ability to modify an apartment lease agreement
Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 PM

I like the way you say my name. I wasn't certain if you were speaking to me (although there was the entire quote above your reply). Anyway, yes I'm talking about the dealer who did the work obviously. I don't expect a dealer in another state to do anything for me (wouldn't shock me if they would fix it regardless but I wouldn't expect it) and I know if I drive it to another state and it breaks down I best be prepared. If that's the worst case scenario it's not overly frightening. the unlikely event that happens and you need to buy a flatbed you should easily afford however much that cost if you can afford this car ( The only way this gets expenaive is if something really significant on the car brakes and then the Flathead money will be what you paid to send it to your dealer) Not saying money doesn't matter because I'm far from that rich but considering the odds, being as unlikely as they are are to break down. Consider this, I haven't had one Mercedes breakdown and I've had 17 AMGs! So to clarify, I'm saying if something breaks on your car the dealership that you have in writing telling you to put the Renntech on it and said it will cover your warranty plus did the work and the badging will service the car on warranty.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:11 PM

S, GL
So to clarify, I'm saying if something breaks on your car the dealership that you have in writing telling you to put the Renntech on it and said it will cover your warranty plus did the work and the badging will service the car on warranty.
Absolutely
Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I like the way you say my name. I wasn't certain if you were speaking to me (although there was the entire quote above your reply). Anyway, yes I'm talking about the dealer who did the work obviously. I don't expect a dealer in another state to do anything for me (wouldn't shock me if they would fix it regardless but I wouldn't expect it) and I know if I drive it to another state and it breaks down I best be prepared. If that's the worst case scenario it's not overly frightening. the unlikely event that happens and you need to buy a flatbed you should easily afford however much that cost if you can afford this car ( The only way this gets expenaive is if something really significant on the car brakes and then the Flathead money will be what you paid to send it to your dealer) Not saying money doesn't matter because I'm far from that rich but considering the odds, being as unlikely as they are are to break down. Consider this, I haven't had one Mercedes breakdown and I've had 17 AMGs! So to clarify, I'm saying if something breaks on your car the dealership that you have in writing telling you to put the Renntech on it and said it will cover your warranty plus did the work and the badging will service the car on warranty.
No one is questioning the fact that your dealer PERSONALLY guarantees any repairs on your car, it is their decision after all and MBUSA has nothing against it since they don't pay for it.
But the factory WILL NOT honor that warranty or the original manufacturer's coverage the second they find out you have a tune in your car.
It is a fact and after 15 years of being on this site, witnessing numerous cases (beside my own) from other owners, proves it.