S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

First time Mercedes and (S63) AMG owner from Holland

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Thumbs up First time Mercedes and (S63) AMG owner from Holland

Here a brief introduction from a newbee to AMG and to Mercedes in general.

Was driving Audi for (more than) 25 years, and always loved larger engines, and convertibles (so you can hear the sound best when driving with the top down thourgh a tunnel )

The last Audi was a RS5 cabrio:

Drove it for more than 3 years with much pleasure, natural aspirated V8 engine, that goes to 8250 rpm!

Since there are not many car manufacturers left that make N/A engines, and all are downsizing (from V8 to V6, from V6 to R4 and yes, even now a 3 cylinder in a BMW 3-series.... :sad it took me a few months to consider a decent successor.

Requirements were: convertible with V8 (or more), 4-seater, NO classic auto box (with torque convertor), prefarably 4WD and with airscarf

Audi does not make this anymore, the RS5 cabrio was unique in that respect. The upcoming RS5 will have a V6 turbo, and will NOT be available as a convertible anymore (Source Audi AG). They really tried to convince me to go for a R8 Spyder, which is a great car, the N/A V10 is the best sounding engine at the moment, and driveability is super, even for every day use. No 4-seater however and business wise not to acceptable overhere as a daily driver (and.....no neck heating, strange, since other Audi convertibles have this, and that extends open driving with many months!).

Ok, then to Porsche? Never had a good vibe with these cars, but ok, let's look out of the box(er) The 911 only has 6 cylinders and with the turbo's now, lack a good sound. Only option would be an Boxster GTS, but they have only 6 cyliners (the old one, the new ones have 4 cyinder turbos...help), the only (theoretical) option would be a (possible to be announced) Panamera V8 convertible. Since it is very unsecure if/when this will come, no serious option currently.

BMW's M3 now also has a V6, and only has the 650i xDrive convertible (with V8 and 4WD and classic auto box), or a M6 convertible (with V8 and RWD and DCT box), but looks are not my taste and on-board tech is kind of outdated now.

Some out of the box alternatives where the Ferrari California (2-seater), Maserati GranCabrio (old, low-tech), Jaguar F-type SVR (V8, but 2-seater and far from perfect build and interior quality, on Audi A3 / Mercedes CLA level, but for a huge price), Range Rover Evoque cabrio (but only 4 cylinders, no SVR in the planning), TT-RS (fun car, but also 2 seater).

The closest to my requirements came the Bentley Continental GTC V8(S). Large, 4-seat convertible with V8, 4WD, airscarf, etc, but with classic auto-box. Test drove it, and especially the V8S convinced me it could be a serious option though. The lack of high-tech (less features than in my RS5) and the knowledge of a totally new one coming in 1-2 years, added to the fact it is also business wise not so acceptable overhere, made me look further.

Looking at Mercedes, I was surprised to see how many convertible models still can be had with a V8: SLK55 AMG (2nd hand, pity they went to SLC45 AMG now with V6), C63(S) AMG, E63(S) AMG (cabrio in 2017/18?), S63 AMG, AMG GT(C) Roadster (2017) and of course a (2nd hand) SLS AMG Roadster. The 2-seaters aside, there were still 3 models to choose from.

Since the E63 cabrio will take another year (or so), and the C63(S) cabrio has only RWD, I seriously got to look at the S cabrio. Even then there are several options: went test driving a S500 and S63 AMG (both coupes, since the cabrio was not there yet), and then it immediately became clear: the S63 AMG is much more direct in steering, more responsive clutch (the MCT box comes very close the S-tronic in my RS5, different technology, but when driving in Manual very similar, in auto mode, the S-tronic is smoother however), and a great sound when driving in Sport mode The fact that the S63 AMG is the only S convertible with 4WD, and a lot of high tech is available, made me decide to go for it!

Got lucky to get a free production slot in August, and then configured a new S63 AMG completely to my taste:

Obsedian Black with Brown interior, piano black dash panels and AMG Nightpackage. Got all (tech) options, EXCEPT carbon and Swarowski.

My dealer was so kind to invite me for a factory visit to Affalterbach and Sindelfingen and I was impressed. The one man one engine concept is of course great, but new for me was that the S Coupe and Convertible have their final assembly done by hand in a seperate hall (the S sedan, Maybach, etc are made in another assembly hall with many robots, also impressive by the way).

Drive the S63 for 10 weeks now, and have no regret at all. Enjoy the driving, both in Comfort and in Sport, both open and closed, and all the features and gimmicks are amazing (and work how it should be). A real high-tech car, which not only looks nice, but can be driven like a fast GT too (despite the size and weight). Regarding the size, it is amazing that this car is 5m04 long, due to the design, you don't see this, until parked next to another car.

So I am very happy I did scale up from my RS5 to this S63, not only in size, but also in high-tech and build quality.
The following users liked this post:
Dan_B (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Thanks so much for posting this review.
Mine should be here within a month.
HAWKiS63 (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
Thank you for posting a great review and great pictures. Very tasteful configuration. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. it'd be great to hear more about your ongoing experience with you S63.
HAWKiS63 (11-13-2016)