S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

S couple trunk space

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
S couple trunk space

Considering going from a CLS63 to the S63 coupe. The fold down rear seats are useful to me. First, I read the S coupe has those too. Can you confirm?
Second, does anyone have dimensions on the interior width of the trunk and the total space from the back of the front seats so i can compare to the CLS?

tx
Old 01-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I went from a CLS63 to a S63 Coupe. The trunk is noticeably smaller and/or less usable. My S63 has the Burmester high end audio which may further reduce usable space. I was not aware the rear seats in the S coupe could fold down. I didn't see anything in the online owners manual about that, but will check myself tomorrow.

Otherwise - if you can manage with the reduced trunk space, you won't regret the choice! The technology, COMAND, sound system, and interior materials quality are all upgraded. The S63 has the 'magic carpet' ride, compared to the much busier feel of the CLS63.

And despite the extra 400 pounds, neither the acceleration nor handling seems to suffer. In C mode it gets around okay and is plenty quick when you step on it, but it is not very responsive - I can see why people complain about the MCT in C mode. But in S mode, the MCT works great and the car hauls ***! Exhaust gates open making the car sound properly aggressive (at least outside the well insulated cabin), complete with downshift burbles like a sports car.

Unfortunately in keeping with the higher level of luxury, AMG decided to omit the Race Start and S+ modes. I never really used S+ in the CLS63, but the Race Start was nice to have and I used it many times. The only other thing I really miss compared to the CLS63 is the opening/tilting roof. I still don't understand why the C217 is only offered with a fixed pano roof, can only think it is to sell more cabriolets, unless there was a structural need for a fixed roof. I'm 6'2" and there is plenty of headroom available.

On the exterior, both cars are equally beautiful!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
This is an extremely helpful reply. Thank you! I wrote the dealer where I bought my CLS with this question and he replied that the S Coupe seats do NOT fold, so I must have read bad data (or maybe it was intended for the sedan).
The other info you shared was super helpful. Sounds like a great car. I don't use launch mode ever but I do use S+ every drive (default w AMG button).
I like the trunk because I can fit my entire bicycle in there with no disassembly believe it or not, which is quicker and more secure than overhead racks.
I might just go to the 2015 of my car if one with <5k miles pops up. The addition of 4MATIC would be a big upgrade with either of these choices. Traction could use help!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Correct - the seats do not fold down. Not sure a man sized bicycle would fit, maybe bring it to the dealer and try it.

4MATIC really helps get the power to the ground. I know the drivetrain losses are higher, and at high speeds that RWD car will be faster. And the ability to do burnouts and donuts is limited... but from a dig, the extra traction makes a huge difference and the RWD won't start to pull away until 80-100mph. And of course in bad weather there is no comparison.

The CLS is overdue for a full redesign, so you might find some very nice deals on 2014+ models later this year. 4MATIC became standard in 2014 on the AMG cars, and I don't believe there have been any mechanical upgrades since then. New lights, bumpers, and the iPod-type display (which measures larger, but mostly useless bezel) came in '15.

The new Panamera is extremely nice, so hopefully Mercedes has been doing their homework!