Notices
Safety & Testimonials Discuss Mercedes-Benz safety related topics and issues, including testimonials.

Distracted drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
Angry Distracted drivers

I narrowly avoided a head-on collision a week ago. I had to make an aggressive maneuver to the right, then straighten the wheel to avoid going off into the weeds. Fortunately, I had both hands on the wheel (10 and 2 positions) and I was paying attention. We missed by about 2 feet. The big, white pickup truck was totally in my lane (2-lane road) and the drivers head was down. It was all over in 2 seconds, including the time it took for the truck to cross the middle line.

I wasn't driving my BMW. I was driving our 2012 GLK 350 4Matic. Certainly no sport coupe, but perhaps a bit above average in handling, at least for an SUV. I didn't even have time to utter an expletive, it was over that quick.

If that doesn't make you cringe, consider this: We had just dropped off our 5 year old grandson at school a few minutes prior.

And if that's not enough, from the point of the incident to home (another 12 miles), I witnessed 2 more distracted drivers.

Think about it. Seriously think about it. From my point of view, distracted driving seems to be getting worse everyday. If you agree, write to your representatives. I did and I'm not going to let up. I believe distracted driving needs to be treated at the same level as a DUI. Bust their butts!
The following 2 users liked this post by 3.5L:
hyperion667 (06-02-2016), Jagdpanzer (09-13-2017)