Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

Why is this site STILL so SLOW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Why is this site STILL so SLOW?

It is very difficult to navigate this site when I can fall asleep between posts appearing. It has been this way for as long as I can remember. And I keep hearing/reading about an "upgrade" to new hardware and software, and a "migration" to a new platform/OS but nothing ever happens. Can someone please give all of us loyal members an honest update on WTF is happening.

There is hardly anyone here, and the place is running like Google on a 386!

Thank you...
Old 11-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
They've already moved to the new servers. The site is quick as ever for me right now.

It's probably your connection or something.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by AsianML
They've already moved to the new servers. The site is quick as ever for me right now.

It's probably your connection or something.
IT IS NOT MY CONNECTION, OR SOMETHING! IT IS THIS SITE!!! QUIT TRYING TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR A FAILED ONLINE STRATEGY!!!! This place used to be a lot faster, AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!! I can't believe you are trying to make this mess here MY PROBLEM when you know exactly what the problem IS. WHAT A LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Any Board That Switches To Linux--from Microsoft--deserves Exactly What It Gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
AML: Why do you continue to pretend to be a BMOL (Big Man On Line) when you are not even a minor MOD? I know you mean well, but you are a laughing-stock--that is what I meant by we've got your#. You really need to stand back when things get over your head. I know you are an intellegent YOUNG man, and that you really mean well, but you need to think before injecting yourself into these complicated issues.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

F248 F1
The site is much faster to me...
Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Here are a few possibilities as to why the site is running slow for you Jayhawk.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/i...cablespeed.htm

I suggest you move to an area with less neighbors, or at least not as much neighbors that use cable internet.

Have you even followed along with the whole server "migration" issue and what the mods have tried to do? The site is not yet at 100% (from what they've said last).

I would love to see you run a site this big on your own dime, and fix everything during your own free time. If you work (and I know you do), it's pretty hard to find the time to do stuff like this isn't it? What's even worse is getting motivated to fix any problems.

It's easier said than done Jayhawk. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited by AsianML; 11-12-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dude this site is blazing fast.
And I'm not even kidding.

Yes we're working on getting the kinks out, but by now our site is pretty much fully operational including speed wise.

What parts of the forum are you experiencing slowdowns?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Here are a few possibilities as to why the site is running slow for you Jayhawk.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/i...cablespeed.htm

I suggest you move to an area with less neighbors, or at least not as much neighbors that use cable internet.

Have you even followed along with the whole server "migration" issue and what the mods have tried to do? The site is not yet at 100% (from what they've said last).

I would love to see you run a site this big on your own dime, and fix everything during your own free time. If you work (and I know you do), it's pretty hard to find the time to do stuff like this isn't it? What's even worse is getting motivated to fix any problems.

It's easier said than done Jayhawk. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Look, I don't mean to be a ***** about it, but when I started this thread I had just moved over here from BW, which was "blazing fast," and, I might add, MUCH BIGGER. It was the relative difference in site speed that prompted me to start this thread because it was sooooo much slower here. I know everyone is trying, but please don't pretend this place is blazing anything. Of course, when Ricky logs on at 3:45a in the morning it probably is, but how many users are competing for bandwidth at that hour? Sorry to complain guys--I know I'm getting what I pay for, but there many sites charging the same, which really are "blazing fast."
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Look, I don't mean to be a ***** about it, but when I started this thread I had just moved over here from BW, which was "blazing fast," and, I might add, MUCH BIGGER. It was the relative difference in site speed that prompted me to start this thread because it was sooooo much slower here. I know everyone is trying, but please don't pretend this place is blazing anything. Of course, when Ricky logs on at 3:45a in the morning it probably is, but how many users are competing for bandwidth at that hour? Sorry to complain guys--I know I'm getting what I pay for, but there many sites charging the same, which really are "blazing fast."
BW is much smaller in both forum size and activity. Don't let the stats at the bottom of the forum index fool you. The forum admin over there did something to change it, to make it seem like more people are on. Something along the lines of "for every 100 members, there will automatically be 300 guests." Something like that.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
BW is much smaller in both forum size and activity. Don't let the stats at the bottom of the forum index fool you. The forum admin over there did something to change it, to make it seem like more people are on. Something along the lines of "for every 100 members, there will automatically be 300 guests." Something like that.
I have found you to be credible in the past but I have to say that sounds like a big pile of Bull Crap! Almost daily I check "past post" for the previous day and at BW I always get between 400 and 500 posts, but the last time I checked here I got just over 40 posts. Are members here just that much less prolific, or are you just that much more full of ****? Please help me to understand.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
I have found you to be credible in the past but I have to say that sounds like a big pile of Bull Crap! Almost daily I check "past post" for the previous day and at BW I always get between 400 and 500 posts, but the last time I checked here I got just over 40 posts. Are members here just that much less prolific, or are you just that much more full of ****? Please help me to understand.
When was the last time you checked here? Because just now I got about 14 pages worth, on BW I got 18 pages worth. Sure there's more pages on BW, but have you taken into account how many of which are in the OT? Those arguments sure last a lifetime.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
When was the last time you checked here? Because just now I got about 14 pages worth, on BW I got 18 pages worth. Sure there's more pages on BW, but have you taken into account how many of which are in the OT? Those arguments sure last a lifetime.
I am losing confidence in you aml! I haven't checked here in a few days but I only got 155 posts, and you know full well the number of pages is bogus because I get 40 posts per page on BW whereas I can only get 25 posts per page here. I checked BW in the last 12 hours and just now got 512 posts, which came to 13 pages. I usually get more than 18 pages when I check last days posts. You must be getting a big piece of the action (MANY $$$$$$$$) here for your misleading defense of the indefensible. JUST DON'T EVER ASK ME TO BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY IN THE FUTURE--YOU FRAUD!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Time to go to the couch. This pi$$ing match is now officially over. Take it to PM, IM, etc. If this is continued on MBW there will be vacation slips.