W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend Project Part III Paddle Shifters..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Weekend Project Part III Paddle Shifters..

So I ordered the 63 paddles and then came in less then a week. First off this installation is based on a Renntech steering wheel which I believe is manufactured by MP Design.

To remove the steering wheel you will need a size 30 Hex head, I have one that has a socked end which was needed because you have a short area to work with.

Once you remove the two screws, one on each side, the airbag becomes loose and removable. At this time is when you should disconnect the battery. There are two connectors orange & green with little tabs that lift off, to remove the connectors.

To remove the wheel you will need a large allan, preferablly one with a socked end so you can torque it down correctly. Be sure you have the wheel in a perfect straight position so when you put the new one on its centered correctly.

Here is the box that has the part numbers to order the paddles. They were $108 + tax Part #171 267 00 46

Once the wheel was off, it was dremel time.. Below are the 63 paddles and the 55 switches. You can see the size difference.

I then removed the silver switch from the housing.

Next I pulled out the electronic switch from the housing, if you just push on the one end with a screwdriver it slides out...

Next I cut and dremeled the 55 housing so that it would fit with the 63 paddles.

After its cut and formed.

I then super glued it to the 63 paddle

Front side...

Next step was to remove the fiberglass housing from the wheel. In order for the 63 paddle to fit half of this had to come out because it was to thick.

I cut the front half out and kept the back half in so that the 55 piece would fit tightly into this. The next pictures shows half of it taken out, as well as a hole drilled and dremeled.

From what I can tell the only way to get the 63 paddle to hold securely to the wheel is drill a hole though the wheel so that you can put a screw into this little hole that is on the 63 paddle. To find the exact location to drill I took a little paint and put it around the hole, then fit it up against the wheel, this made a perfect spot so you know where to drill.

Here you can see the screw on this inside of the wheel..

So now you can fit the hole piece and screw it in from the back, make sure your screw is the perfect size other wise you will drill through the paddle.

Front shot..

Side shot..

Just repeat the same steps on the other side and your done!

Here she is all back together..

Overall I was very impressed with the 63 paddles, they are well made and made for a perfect fit after the modifications. They are solid and feel as if they were made for that wheel. Also I've hear that these paddles will only work with 05 & 06 cars, I guess the wiring is different for 04 and prior.

Thanks for watching the show!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job, looks OEM.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Awesome! Now produce a bunch for us and start taking orders. Put me at the top of the list.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thanks Kev for being the Guinea pig, I'm going to do the same thing.

Top job mate!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZO
thin plastic

i am not an engineer and you did a great job but the crazy glue to thin plastic does not look like it will last long term. Does it feel completely solid?? Again great job just a question though.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

AMGs
Good work Kevin.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM

2000 S-Class
Will this work for my S430 if I change to the new S55 steering wheel w/paddles. Right now my shifting is done in the gearbox! Thanks for any help!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by Finny
Thanks Kev for being the Guinea pig, I'm going to do the same thing.

Top job mate!
03/04 electronics are different than the 05/06. THe paddles wont work. I have already tried on my 04. I am working on swapping the inerds right now. Takes a little bit of time but it will happen. Stay tuned!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
i am not an engineer and you did a great job but the crazy glue to thin plastic does not look like it will last long term. Does it feel completely solid?? Again great job just a question though.
Its screwed in!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy

Thanks guys! The only part that is super glued is th black plastic piece
that fills the gap, the main paddle is screwed in.