S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help...airmatic System Failed Today!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP...Airmatic System Failed Today!!!

While driving today the airmatic system failed. Our S430 is practically sitting on top of our tires. I looked through my papers to see if it is covered by my extended warranty and noticed that my warranty expired just days ago. They never even contacted me to renew or give me notice.

Does anyone know how much this is going to cost?

Is this a common problem?

Was there a recall I should know about?

Does anyone know a dependable dealership in the Westchester, NY area?

Any advice or help would be appreciated....

Thanks...

Last edited by JonathanYoung; 06-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Anyone???

Last edited by JonathanYoung; 06-11-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Extended warranty? Is it STARMARK?
Starmark does not renew. When it is done its done. However if it is only days ago they may good will the coverage.

Most 3rd party Extended Warranty will not cover the air strut anyways.

Cant give you more tech info because it can be many different issue and some will cost less to fix like relays, hose or top mount. Some will cause a lot more like compressor and strut replacement.

Sorry
Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by JonathanYoung
While driving today the airmatic system failed. Our S430 is practically sitting on top of our tires. I looked through my papers to see if it is covered by my extended warranty and noticed that my warranty expired just days ago. They never even contacted me to renew or give me notice.

Does anyone know how much this is going to cost?

Is this a common problem?

Was there a recall I should know about?

Does anyone know a dependable dealership in the Westchester, NY area?

Any advice or help would be appreciated....

Thanks...
1) Failure of the Airmatic relay, about $80 for part. New Airmatic pump, about $900. Replace upper strut seals, about $500. Replace all struts, pump, etc - can go as high as $6K, especially if there was damage to the wheel wells. Only your dealer or independent shop can evaluate and give you a price including labor.

2) Airmatic problems are common. The best way to minimize problems is to read this forum and Benzworld. A search on the W220 forums with "Airmatic" will get you a wealth of knowledge, especially on how to detect a failing relay or pump, and what to look for with leaky strut seals or struts themselves.

3) I am not aware of a recall for Airmatic problems.

4) Sorry, no experience in that area.

Even if I knew, i could not advise regarding warranty without the year of your car and what kind of warranty you have. We're happy to try to help, but give us the information we need.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-11-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Can any one please help! I read on the here someone suggesting that I should unplug the battery for 30 seconds and plug it back up to see if it would fix my airmatic issue. After doing that I was able to turn the car back on but it didn't fix the problem. After day or two later I tried to turn the car back on and now there is no power in car. Also, my key doesn't work to unlock the trunk. What should I do? Or do I have to get it tow? I had big issue with Mercedes stealership here so I don't want to take it back there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tino; 06-12-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Tino
Can any one please help! I read on the here someone suggesting that I should unplug the battery for 30 seconds and plug it back up to see if it would fix my airmatic issue. After doing that I was able to turn the car back on but it didn't fix the problem. After day or two later I tried to turn the car back on and now there is no power in car. Also, my key doesn't work to unlock the trunk. What should I do? Or do I have to get it tow? I had big issue with Mercedes stealership here so I don't want to take it back there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like your problems are multiple and mounting....
The starting/trunk issue sounds like the key. did you try the spare key? Can't be any relation to removing the battery cable two days ago if it worked since.
On the other issue, That suggestion wasn't true anyway as you found out already. If you can't raise the car from the raise button, then you have to get it towed to a shop because you can;t drive it like that. More than likely you are going to end up at the dealership, so there is no reason to agonize any longer than you need to.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Originally Posted by my06clk
Sounds like your problems are multiple and mounting....
The starting/trunk issue sounds like the key. did you try the spare key? Can't be any relation to removing the battery cable two days ago if it worked since.
On the other issue, That suggestion wasn't true anyway as you found out already. If you can't raise the car from the raise button, then you have to get it towed to a shop because you can;t drive it like that. More than likely you are going to end up at the dealership, so there is no reason to agonize any longer than you need to.

Thanks, MY06CLK