C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 engine failure

Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
C55 engine failure

Punched it doing bout 55 on the freeway this evening and something immediately went "pop". Looked in the mirror and saw nothing but a blue cloud. Engine kept running as I coasted to first exit but was sounding really rough by the time I got off the road and shut it down. Smoke billowing out from under the hood (wishing I'd bought that fire extinguisher!), oil film all over the back of the car, and an ugly puddle growing under the front of the car. crap! Found a couple small pieces of shattered metal on the right frame rail - not a good sign. Car towed to the dealership, update tomorrow.

Searched forum, only "blown" engine posts were about installing a supercharger. Anyone else had one let go?

Car is still under warranty and bone stock. What can I expect from dealership?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C55
Probably

should expect a replaced engine.

Sounds rare. Hope it works out, and sorry to hear it.

Let us know.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
SOrry to hear that, let us know what the results are ! I'm guessin your rod knocked a hole on your block. ( i hydro lock a motor once, did your car had a big knocking sounds after the boom & blue smoke ?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, BIG knocking sounds by the time I got off the road.

Does warranty for something like this include a loaner?

Any insights into how long it takes to get a new engine delivered to the dealership? Are they stocked domestically or are am I waiting for a slow boat from Germany?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I checked the dealer price for a C55 engine when i was at the dealer last week and thats $44,000 for a c55 motor. at least thats what the parts guy told me. I would say that what ever happened to your car is extremely rare. please list any mods you have to your car if any. Dont let them try and bully you about the motor this even with bolt on mods should not happen. please tell me you were not running an under drive pulley? I wish you luck with your car and since you have a c55 your covered on the loaner car. its just to bad the loaners are not nearly as nice as a c55. You might be in it for some time. as your 55 motor has to be hand built. as far as i know. as an AMG owner my condolenceses go out to you. On the bright side you get a new engine as long as your under 50,000 miles!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by zcct04
yeah, BIG knocking sounds by the time I got off the road.

Does warranty for something like this include a loaner?

Any insights into how long it takes to get a new engine delivered to the dealership? Are they stocked domestically or are am I waiting for a slow boat from Germany?
Since its an AMG motor, i'm guessin anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks down time. I'm sure they going to give you some kind of loaner ( you dont know what happen, the engine just went out )
Old 06-06-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
yuck

sorry to hear this happen to a fellow AMG owner.

They will be replacing your engine ...
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cliff,

did you take it to alex rodriguez? if so, talk to Juan, he is an SA there and knows me...he is a great guy and will take care of you for sure and provide you with a free loaner!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Eric. Followed your earlier feedback and have been dealing with Juan since I started using A-Rod. He's been great to work with. He got Bosone to send one of their high-end wreckers to haul in the car this evening, and I'll be talking with him again tomorrow. Will tell him you said hey.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:09 AM

C55
hope all goes well for a houstonian
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks Eric. Followed your earlier feedback and have been dealing with Juan since I started using A-Rod. He's been great to work with. He got Bosone to send one of their high-end wreckers to haul in the car this evening, and I'll be talking with him again tomorrow. Will tell him you said hey.
cliff,

please keep us posted on hopefully a "speedy resolution" with your car...
Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found rod sticking thru neat new hole in side of block and into the starter motor. Engine is toast. The dealer was as surprised as anyone. SA said it's the first he's seen. Heck, even the wrecker driver was surprised - says that blown motors on these are unheard of. I guess some poor fool has gotta be first . . . .
Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 AM
SPONSOR

Found rod sticking thru neat new hole in side of block and into the starter motor. Engine is toast. The dealer was as surprised as anyone. SA said it's the first he's seen. Heck, even the wrecker driver was surprised - says that blown motors on these are unheard of. I guess some poor fool has gotta be first . . . .
kinda figured this was the case based on your original description...

hopefully, they will get this expedited quickly for you with a fresh new motor to break-in properly...if you know what i mean...
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
you should check the engine placard and send an email to the guy that built the motor to tell him that he put in a bad rod.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 PM

09 GL 550, 08 BMW X5 4.8, 05 C55 AMG, 05 GSX-R1000 (sold), Denali XL (sold)
I found the following in Benzworld.com Just an FYI. Good luck with your repairs!!! This really stinks!!

C55 2005 Seized Engine

Got a bit of a problem, here's what happened, I have a 2005 C55 with around 45000miles warranty expired in Feb 08, I was driving home and about 2 minutes before I reached my house I felt a slight misfire which has never happened before, I driving at around 30mph and noticed smoke from the exhaust about 50 metres/10 second after that the engine cut out with a rumbling sound. The temp gauge was reading normal and did not seem to overheat. I checked the oil on the on board monitor and it gave the message "OIL OVERFILL". I opened the oil filler cap and I there seemed to be alot of oil there didnt look like the oil and water had mixed however I cant be sure as I have never seen what this would look like. The car went straight on a recovery to the workshop they say the engine is seized and that they need to take off the head and take a look. Not sure if this is related however the gearchange has been getting very jerky recently and I suspect that the valve body for the gearbox was at fault for the jerky gearbox as a freind of mine with a C55 had a problem with his. Does anyone think that this could have something to do with the breakdown or does this sound like a head gasket, whatever the case I dont think that something like this should happen on a 45000 mile car, anyone have any ideas on what this could be or where I can get a replacement engine?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 AM

Looking for a new toy.
Same thing recently happened to an SLK55 owner, rod through the block while accelerating up to highway speed. He posted some pics of the damage over on SLKWorld.

http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/5828-disaster.html

Last edited by FishtailnZ; 06-08-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmmm.... Did someone overfill the motor with oil on the last oil change?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:32 PM

C55
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
Same thing recently happened to an SLK55 owner, rod through the block while accelerating up to highway speed. He posted some pics of the damage over on SLKWorld.

http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/5828-disaster.html
odd that hes from texas as well. wonder if the heat has something to do with it?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Hmmmm.... Did someone overfill the motor with oil on the last oil change?
Oil overfill is unquestionably not the problem here. I've been burning oil little faster than I though it should so dealer has been helping track it. Was in 10 days ago after getting "add oil" light and dealer techs measured the level, topped it off, and measured again.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 PM

C55
Oil overfill is unquestionably not the problem here. I've been burning oil little faster than I though it should so dealer has been helping track it. Was in 10 days ago after getting "add oil" light and dealer techs measured the level, topped it off, and measured again.
maybe THEY put in too much. sounds eeriely similar to the SLK guy
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
SPONSOR

i talked to Juan today when i was picking up some parts at the dealership...they have not touched the car yet as they have been very busy. hopefully we will know soon what happened to your motor...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Erick - thanks for the update! Juan told me Friday that he was putting his senior tech on it, but he had an a/c compressor on a twin-turbo V12 (looks like the whole front end had to come out) and a transmission replacement on a E class ahead of me. He thought it might be Wednesday before they would get into mine.

Need your help. The CLK350 loaner Juan has me in is nice but too slow. If you can help convince him that I really need a C63 for a loaner, I'll come by and we can go trolling for M3s! ))))
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 PM
SPONSOR

clif,

call me as soon as you get a chance, i need a favor...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
ouch...I've only seen that on JDM where ppl FI their cars and blew. basically piston seized and the rod breaks and when it has no where to go it's forced out the engine block.