C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sirius Sat Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 US Edition C300 Luxury 4-Matic
Sirius Sat Module

Greetings,
For the last few weeks, my Sirius Sat radio signal has been going off and on, it shows "acquiring signal", its sporatic and I never know how long the acquiring signal will last before it starts working again.
I contacted Sirius tech support and they indicated it was nothing on their end and said it appears my Sat Module is getting ready to quit working.

I took it in this morning to the local dealership where I purchased the car, and they said they contacted Germany and they said it needs a "software" update, so they are having me return this Friday for that update, I also mentioned the new IPod cable as I have this feature, gave them a copy of the details from the IPod thread within this forum where the 2nd generation IPod Touch I have won't charge with the cable connection presently in my car, I purchased the "Scorsh" adapter for $20.00 and someone reported it sounded poor with that adapter installed, it worked, and it charges now, but I figured I would ask for a new replacement IPod cable, and they said they will order that and install it for free under warranty on Friday also.

Has anyone else required an update for software for the sirius sat radio?
Has anyone else had the newer IPod harness installed in the glove box for the next generation IPods?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ghack/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Software upgrade?

Took my car into the dealer today, they had contacted Germany and they said they would send a software upgrade to cure my intermittent loss of Sirius Satellite problem.
The update was applied and so far, no problems, while there the dealership installed the updated IPod adapter cabl;e in the glove compartment, it has a black tip on it versus the old one with a white tip, happily my IPod Touch 2nd generation, now charges and plays great.
Everything was done under warranty free of charge.
I purchased my 2008 C300 Sport on October 10th 2008, and just went over 5000 miles.

Nuke.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Is there a TSB or some other reference to help point another SA to that same solution (other than just saying "software upgrade"!)??

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM

I can check

Sorry, foolish of me not to ask and post on here, I have gotten so many good tips on here, so I guess I can pay a little back, I'll stop at the dealership Monday and ask, not sure if there was a TSB, but I can ask?

Nuke
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Thanks! Very kind of you I can use the help when I revisit my SA!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nukefixer
Greetings,
For the last few weeks, my Sirius Sat radio signal has been going off and on, it shows "acquiring signal", its sporatic and I never know how long the acquiring signal will last before it starts working again.
I contacted Sirius tech support and they indicated it was nothing on their end and said it appears my Sat Module is getting ready to quit working.

I took it in this morning to the local dealership where I purchased the car, and they said they contacted Germany and they said it needs a "software" update, so they are having me return this Friday for that update, I also mentioned the new IPod cable as I have this feature, gave them a copy of the details from the IPod thread within this forum where the 2nd generation IPod Touch I have won't charge with the cable connection presently in my car, I purchased the "Scorsh" adapter for $20.00 and someone reported it sounded poor with that adapter installed, it worked, and it charges now, but I figured I would ask for a new replacement IPod cable, and they said they will order that and install it for free under warranty on Friday also.

Has anyone else required an update for software for the sirius sat radio?
Has anyone else had the newer IPod harness installed in the glove box for the next generation IPods?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ghack/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
UPDATE:
Got back today after being away on business the past month, hopped in my car, no sat radio, drove to Mercedes Dealer and said the "software update" Germany suggested did not work, they today ordered a replacement Sat module, the S/A said it costs around a "grand" so when it comes in they will call me, which should be a few days, then they will install the replacement Sat module for my Sirius radio. Probably will change the electronic serial number (ESN) for sure?

I'll post an update when and if my Sat radio module replacement fixes my intermittent Sat signal problem.

Gary
Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 PM

CLS63
Been having the same problem since new. Software update did me no good either.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
If your sat radio goes into its "acquiring signal" seizure, as mine does, either no sound, or even a complete lock up where the console Comand knob stops working, cycle the instrument panel "radio" button through the AM/FM/WB/Sat bands....that usually causes the satellite to restore immediately. Not sure what it tells us about the root cause of the failure, but my dealer has had no suggestions other than to wait for Sirius to "improve" their signal.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
I have Sirius in my W203 - 2005. I had the same problem as you. The direct solution is to replace the module itself. The techs didn't do the proper at the dealership. Mine bit the dust last year. The tech is supposed to diagnose and check each component along the chain: including the cables, antenna, attachment to your head unit, and the Sirius module itself. They can run computer tests that return values at each of these points. If the module itself throws the fault codes and acts as yours does, and mine did, the proper solution is only a replacement. This is a known issue. I don't believe that the module received a major upgrade between the W203 and W204. The dealership should take care of registering the new unit with Sirius and getting your subscription transfered, as the ESN's on the modules are different.

It should take no more than a day to diagnose and replace.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Sportstick
If your sat radio goes into its "acquiring signal" seizure, as mine does, either no sound, or even a complete lock up where the console Comand knob stops working, cycle the instrument panel "radio" button through the AM/FM/WB/Sat bands....that usually causes the satellite to restore immediately. Not sure what it tells us about the root cause of the failure, but my dealer has had no suggestions other than to wait for Sirius to "improve" their signal.
I indirectly do that, as I cycle through the different "bands" trying to figure out why I don't have any music, doing this doesn't restore the sat signal for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
I have Sirius in my W203 - 2005. I had the same problem as you. The direct solution is to replace the module itself. The techs didn't do the proper at the dealership. Mine bit the dust last year. The tech is supposed to diagnose and check each component along the chain: including the cables, antenna, attachment to your head unit, and the Sirius module itself. They can run computer tests that return values at each of these points. If the module itself throws the fault codes and acts as yours does, and mine did, the proper solution is only a replacement. This is a known issue. I don't believe that the module received a major upgrade between the W203 and W204. The dealership should take care of registering the new unit with Sirius and getting your subscription transfered, as the ESN's on the modules are different.

It should take no more than a day to diagnose and replace.
Mercedes is indeed replacing the sat module, on order, waiting for them to call saying its in and then make an appointment for installation.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM

C300 sport 4matic
Originally Posted by nukefixer
Mercedes is indeed replacing the sat module, on order, waiting for them to call saying its in and then make an appointment for installation.

Glad it worked out for you...
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Yep, good deal.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Smile New Sat Module Install

Well got my car serviced today by installing the replacement Sat module, the Service Manager said it costs $1000.00 and thats why MB always say, "try the software upgrade first", well the software upgrade didn't work for me, I understand it does for some people with the same problem, which was intermittent on and off of the Sirius Sat.

So I'll check it out for the next few days and see if indeed, this is the final fix.

I was quite pleased that when I arrived at the dealership to pick my car up and turn in the loaner, that they even contacted Sirius and placed all my Sat presets back the way I had them, and also gave Sirius the new ESN of the new module, very nice.....

Today, I did constantly change the channels, and also go back through, CD to radio to Sat radio and so on, trying to ensure problem solved, so far so good!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM

w205 - Black
hey nuke, do you have the multimedia package?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM

MM Package?

Originally Posted by woedee
hey nuke, do you have the multimedia package?
No I do not, I have P1 as my package.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 PM

S-550
Angry Same SAT Problem

I have had this same problem with my Sirius radio had it back to dealer ACS in VA at least five time with no fix, first 3 times they could not find any problemsthey acted as if it was just my imagination. Then I called MBUSA and they said that their were some software upgrades that would help and just like yours the upgrades worked well for about a week then same problems again. I called American Service Center in VA again last week told to bring car in, will take it to the shop on Teusday. My question is how long will MB deny that there is problem why don't they just put out a bulletin and recall the cars and fix the problem
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
Originally Posted by rrobin
I have had this same problem with my Sirius radio had it back to dealer ACS in VA at least five time with no fix, first 3 times they could not find any problemsthey acted as if it was just my imagination. Then I called MBUSA and they said that their were some software upgrades that would help and just like yours the upgrades worked well for about a week then same problems again. I called American Service Center in VA again last week told to bring car in, will take it to the shop on Teusday. My question is how long will MB deny that there is problem why don't they just put out a bulletin and recall the cars and fix the problem
It's not a problem that Mercedes is denying. You're dealer isn't doing their job.

This is a known issue. You need to find another dealer that is on top of these things.

Standard procedure for this problem is to 1) Check all components in the chain 2) Run SDS diagnostics on the electronics 3) Install software updates - just a standard procedure. Sometimes software gets corrupted. It's happened on my moon-roof position sensor. 4) Replace the Sirius module.

If you can find a dealer that is ... smart, they will more than likely replace the module no questions asked.

Mercedes knows this is an issue.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM

w205 - Black
a bit off-topic but....

I read here in another thread that a recent sat radio software update enables traffic data on nav. Anyone here with sat radio (& most current software update) and nav able to confirm if whether or not this is true plz?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by woedee
a bit off-topic but....

I read here in another thread that a recent sat radio software update enables traffic data on nav. Anyone here with sat radio (& most current software update) and nav able to confirm if whether or not this is true plz?
I have the latest software update, and don;t have what you are referring to, although I also don;t have the MM option either?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM

w205 - Black
oh well..MBUSA just emailed me to confirm that no such update exists.

Thank you for your email. After confirming with our Service Engineering area, we simply don't have any "update" to allow a 2009 C-Class to have traffic information. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to e-mail us again or call me at 1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372) ext 7831. Sincerely, Paul H.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I have a 2005 E320. I lose the signal anywhere from 3 - 20 times a day. I have taken the car to TWO different MB dealers. One installed the software update. It did not help. I have 2007 Merc Mountaineer and I rarely - if ever lose the signal. I wrote to MBUSA about the issue. They called me this week and said since neither dealer could find a problem there is nothing that they can do. So the MB experience boils down to living with poor reception. There is an obvious problem that they are not facing.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm noticing this on my 2009 C also. But its highly irregular. Drove 1H30M this morning, not a single drop out. Drove home this evening, same 1H30M, it was dropping out like crazy. If it was a hard failure in the electronics, it wouldn't behave like this. Its a combination of the electronics with the weather - there was heavy cloud cover in NY tonight. I'll mention it to the dealer the next time I go in.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by nyca
I'm noticing this on my 2009 C also. But its highly irregular. Drove 1H30M this morning, not a single drop out. Drove home this evening, same 1H30M, it was dropping out like crazy. If it was a hard failure in the electronics, it wouldn't behave like this. Its a combination of the electronics with the weather - there was heavy cloud cover in NY tonight. I'll mention it to the dealer the next time I go in.
Latest update to my personal ongoing Sirius Sat saga......

The local MB dealership replaced my Sat module on Monday, today driving home for lunch from work, the signal dropped out and I got the ol' "Acquiring Signal" message. I had the module replaced because I was getting constant intermittent drop off of the signal, the local radio stations work fine. Since the replacement Monday, I have been changing stations constantly within Sirius, changing to local radio and CD and back and forth, never missed a beat till this afternoon?
I drove back to the local MB dealership and they said they would make note of it, and for to keep them advised of the problem, the S/A also said she would contact MB and let them know of the continuing problem. I have gone online to Sirius and had another activation signal sent to my receiver.

If it continues, I will request to have it repaired again..... on the way back from lunch, it worked fine, go figure?

Surely other then the few people who have responded to this thread have been having the same issues?
If so, what did MB do to resolve your problem?

Gary
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C350
I have the exact same problem, initially I thought it was just Sirius as my XM Radio's never had this issue. Don't plan on taking it in until service A.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sirius Sat Module