SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL500 Instrument Cluster Replacement with SL55 Gauges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 AMG Sport
2003 SL500 Instrument Cluster Replacement with SL55 Gauges

I got my hands on an instrument cluster from a 2003 SL55. Can I put this in my 2003 SL500? If so, what do I need to have done? Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by meller824
I got my hands on an instrument cluster from a 2003 SL55. Can I put this in my 2003 SL500? If so, what do I need to have done? Any input is appreciated.
Did you ever get this done?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
As much as i know it cannot be done. Due to speed marks and other programming code (?) it does not fit from other series. 500 -> 500, and so on. Just to replace one you will need DOIS (and Star) system to do it. it's not a plug and play thing.

But i might be wrong ^_^

Regards
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by Ghostty
As much as i know it cannot be done. Due to speed marks and other programming code (?) it does not fit from3 other series. 500 -> 500, and so on. Just to replace one you will need DOIS (and Star) system to do it. it's not a plug and play thing.

But i might be wrong ^_^

Regards
I keep getting conflicting answers. I'm gonna investigate this further. What did you do with the cluster?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You will definitely need SDS to code the cluster to match your car's options, but also, when the odometer mileage stored in the cluster fails to match that stored in the EIS, it will only display "------" on the cluster. You will need to use SDS to copy the mileage from the EIS to the cluster, but this can only be done with a new "virgin" cluster. You can make SDS see a donor used cluster as virgin if you zero out the odometer mileage stored in its EEPROM. There are ways to do this, but not very easy. There is a $100 tool that can do it, but it requires desoldering the EEPROM. There is a $5000 tool that can do it with no soldering. Your best bet is to send it off and pay $300 or so to have a pro zero it for you, then re-code it with SDS.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by Rudeney
You will definitely need SDS to code the cluster to match your car's options, but also, when the odometer mileage stored in the cluster fails to match that stored in the EIS, it will only display "------" on the cluster. You will need to use SDS to copy the mileage from the EIS to the cluster, but this can only be done with a new "virgin" cluster. You can make SDS see a donor used cluster as virgin if you zero out the odometer mileage stored in its EEPROM. There are ways to do this, but not very easy. There is a $100 tool that can do it, but it requires desoldering the EEPROM. There is a $5000 tool that can do it with no soldering. Your best bet is to send it off and pay $300 or so to have a pro zero it for you, then re-code it with SDS.
That was great information, thank you. Since the sl55 speedometer goes to 200 and the sl500 goes to 160; will the programming allow the new cluster to show the correct speed?

Also, is there anyway to retrofit the newer ('09-'12) sl63 cluster with the white gauges?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The speed scale won't matter. The cluster gets the vehicle speed via the CAN bus. It knows where to place its needle.

There was a facelift for MY2005 that changed some CAN bus protocols, so you can't swap clusters before/after without changing out LOTS of other stuff (basically, just buy a new car at that point).
Old 07-28-2016, 11:03 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The speed scale won't matter. The cluster gets the vehicle speed via the CAN bus. It knows where to place its needle.

There was a facelift for MY2005 that changed some CAN bus protocols, so you can't swap clusters before/after without changing out LOTS of other stuff (basically, just buy a new car at that point).
LOL ok. So I need a '03-'04 cluster then? Maybe a work around would be to get a busted 63 cluster and just swap the faceplates with the 55's; assuming the numbers are in the exact location, which they look like they are...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 PM

2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Originally Posted by SL4Life
I keep getting conflicting answers. I'm gonna investigate this further. What did you do with the cluster?
I investigated this question when i had problem with my EIS that needed to be replaced. All the people that i talked to they said it has to be a part that matches with the VIN of your specific car. Fortunately i did not end up swapping my cluster. But when i did my research i used the EPC to make sure the cluster is compatible with my car. It was not easy to figure out, but i found the ones that i should use. You can do the same thing an see if they will fit yours. But if others have done it and it works then they should know better

Regards
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
I investigated this question when i had problem with my EIS that needed to be replaced. All the people that i talked to they said it has to be a part that matches with the VIN of your specific car. Fortunately i did not end up swapping my cluster. But when i did my research i used the EPC to make sure the cluster is compatible with my car. It was not easy to figure out, but i found the ones that i should use. You can do the same thing an see if they will fit yours. But if others have done it and it works then they should know better

Regards
So from what I've gathered so far is: I'll have to get a unit that's compatible with my vin, have it zeroed out and them reprogrammed with SDS. Doesn't seem so complicated. This is all great information.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:28 PM

2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Although it does not seem complicated, you need to know what you're doing. What i would check with someone who did that before if the process is reversible, in case something goes wrong. you know, better safe than sorry And if you're not going to do that by yourself, i'd make sure he knows what he's doing. Most of them don't give you warranty on the job done.

Best wishes,
Ghostty
Old 07-30-2016, 06:31 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Although it does not seem complicated, you need to know what you're doing. What i would check with someone who did that before if the process is reversible, in case something goes wrong. you know, better safe than sorry And if you're not going to do that by yourself, i'd make sure he knows what he's doing. Most of them don't give you warranty on the job done.

Best wishes,
Ghostty
Correct, I would only trust this project to someone who is familiar. Thanks for your advise...