C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tail Gate chrome strip removal. How To Guide.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Tail Gate chrome strip removal. How To Guide.

Recently I plasti dipped the chrome strip on my tail gate but I wasn't happy with the finish so today I vinyl wrapped it. Sure I could have done it with it still on the car but as I love to fettle I decided to remove it to ensure a perfect finish.

No photos of the first bit but tbh none needed as it's very easy.

1: Remove 2 torx 20 screws under the chrome strip either side of the number plate lights.

2: Inside the boot remove 4 more torx 20 screws and 2 push clips from the boot liner trim piece. Disconnect bulb and remove trim piece.

3: Remove a further 6 push clips from the boot liner. Enough that you can pull down the liner to get behind the chrome strip.

If this how to helps anybody then jobs a good un.

Feel behind the chrome trim piece and remove 2 more torx 20 screws.

There are 3 orange clips to release. See picture for location. Using a trim removal tool gently pry trim piece and they will easily pop out.

As well as the 3 Orange clips you need to release this black clip. Simply press the 2 halfs inwards ( hardly any pressure required ) and you can then remove the trim piece.

You can now see the clips holding the chrome strip on. Starting at one end work your way along popping out the clips to remove the strip.

Chrome strip removed ready to wrap.

Close up of the clip when removed.

Installation is the opposite of removal. Then sit back and admire your work.

Last edited by -ian; 04-04-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 VW Touareg, 2012 C63
Thanks for posting this. I'm about to do the same soon, but I plan to paint (no plasti-dip) instead of wrap.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
I always wondered about this, thank you...now time to tackle it!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by -ian
Recently I plasti dipped the chrome strip on my tail gate but I wasn't happy with the finish so today I vinyl wrapped it. Sure I could have done it with it still on the car but as I love to fettle I decided to remove it to ensure a perfect finish.

No photos of the first bit but tbh none needed as it's very easy.

1: Remove 2 torx 20 screws under the chrome strip either side of the number plate lights.

2: Inside the boot remove 4 more torx 20 screws and 2 push clips from the boot liner trim piece. Disconnect bulb and remove trim piece.

3: Remove a further 6 push clips from the boot liner. Enough that you can pull down the liner to get behind the chrome strip.

If this how to helps anybody then jobs a good un.

Feel behind the chrome trim piece and remove 2 more torx 20 screws.

There are 3 orange clips to release. See picture for location. Using a trim removal tool gently pry trim piece and they will easily pop out.

As well as the 3 Orange clips you need to release this black clip. Simply press the 2 halfs inwards ( hardly any pressure required ) and you can then remove the trim piece.

You can now see the clips holding the chrome strip on. Starting at one end work your way along popping out the clips to remove the strip.

Chrome strip removed ready to wrap.

Close up of the clip when removed.

Installation is the opposite of removal. Then sit back and admire your work.
Look at you and all your Snap-On stuff. Good tools just make the job easier.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:51 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by HBC350
Look at you and all your Snap-On stuff. Good tools just make the job easier.
I can't help myself. We have a snap on van that comes to my place of work once a week. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I just have to buy something 😋
Old 04-06-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Nice DIY! but I wonder why you had to remove the piece in the first place. I managed to wrap mine without removing it and that too was the first time ever I wrapped any object in my life.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:57 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sidv22
Nice DIY! but I wonder why you had to remove the piece in the first place. I managed to wrap mine without removing it and that too was the first time ever I wrapped any object in my life.
I upgraded my number plate lights to the LED ones. As I had to get behind the boot liner trim I though I might as well remove it.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 CLS63 AMG
Very nice of you to take the time to photo and annotate (and upload) all your work. Much appreciated. I'll be doing this as soon as the weather clears!