C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

non oem illuminated star

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
non oem illuminated star

hi i recently purchased an illuminated star from aliexpress that only comes with the star and wire which splits into black and red. the seller simply told me to connect it to 'power' . red to positive black to negative. and did not provide further instructions. i was hoping if anyone can help me install this? thanks!

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...68538901429017
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Go to our search box above type in illuminated star instructions Go to the one Jband I believe the 3rd or 4th down dated 8/31/14 gives pretty good instructions with picture
Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 PM

c300
Originally Posted by dbldpr
Go to our search box above type in illuminated star instructions Go to the one Jband I believe the 3rd or 4th down dated 8/31/14 gives pretty good instructions with picture
the one i bought did not come with the control unit and other wires that is included in the oem the seller just tells me to connect to positive and negative and refused to give any more instructions.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I do not have the control module which is a waste of money. My star is connected to fuse 23 under the hood on drivers side. It goes on as soon as the door opens and it stays on when ignition is on. It goes off when you turn car off and exit vehicle. It stays on a little longer than the front lights when you exit but about 1 minute later it goes off also. I also have a cut off switch under the dash so I can turn it off if I want to. I brought mine to an audio car stereo place where I live and they did an excellent job for about $100
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM

none
Did you end up getting your illuminated star installed?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you go into my profile and view my posts you will see that I did have it installed and many other things.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 PM

c300
I do not have the control module which is a waste of money. My star is connected to fuse 23 under the hood on drivers side. It goes on as soon as the door opens and it stays on when ignition is on. It goes off when you turn car off and exit vehicle. It stays on a little longer than the front lights when you exit but about 1 minute later it goes off also. I also have a cut off switch under the dash so I can turn it off if I want to. I brought mine to an audio car stereo place where I live and they did an excellent job for about $100
hey was just wondering if your star was like mine? just a cord that splits into red and black?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 Pre-facelift E300 AMG sport package
Can u guys please post pictures of aftermarket star installed? I am also thinking of buying an aftermarket, but I am not sure about the quality of the light. Not sure if it will differ much from OEM light.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No difference at all with aftermarket as far as I can see. Have had mine in for over 2 years. I have a white star and a blue star that I can also put in. On vacation now will be home in a little over a week. I will send pictures of the installed star. If you cannot wait go into my site here and look up some of my old posts and you will see pictures of the star installed and lit up.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:05 AM

No difference at all with aftermarket as far as I can see. Have had mine in for over 2 years. I have a white star and a blue star that I can also put in. On vacation now will be home in a little over a week. I will send pictures of the installed star. If you cannot wait go into my site here and look up some of my old posts and you will see pictures of the star installed and lit up.
Thank you! Would appreciate your help. I tried searching your posts, but I got lost in them, since you have over 2k posts))

Last edited by Timeplson; 09-24-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM

On vacation now will be home in a little over a week. I will send pictures of the installed star.
Hi! Did u get a chance to take pictures?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry I thought I posted it. Must of done it on another site but here it is
The following users liked this post:
Timeplson (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:55 AM

Sorry I thought I posted it. Must of done it on another site but here it is
Thank you very much! Have you compared it to an OEM star having it right next to you? The reason I am asking is that from what I've seen, the oem light was not as bright as this one. Maybe that's just how it looks in the picture. Anyways, do you think it is possible to add a switch that could control the brightness of the star? Not necessary in the cabin of the car, but at least have the switch in under the hood somewhere.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Timeplson
Thank you very much! Have you compared it to an OEM star having it right next to you? The reason I am asking is that from what I've seen, the oem light was not as bright as this one. Maybe that's just how it looks in the picture. Anyways, do you think it is possible to add a switch that could control the brightness of the star? Not necessary in the cabin of the car, but at least have the switch in under the hood somewhere.
It is just the picture it is no brighter than a oem star. I was in a closed garage with lights off and limited space. do not worry about the brightness
The following users liked this post:
Timeplson (10-01-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 02:07 AM

It is just the picture it is no brighter than a oem star. I was in a closed garage with lights off and limited space. do not worry about the brightness
Hi, I finally recieved my star. But I have to cut the grill a little bit and glue the star to it, since they have different connections. I wanted to ask you how you did the wiring. The star has two wires, red and black. How do I connect them to the parking light? I ahve never done anything like that with wiring. So do I just cut the existing wires in the partking light, burn the cover of the wires with fire or using knife, then attach wire from the star and tape it? Or is that a too vandal way to do it?))
Old 10-28-2016, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, I finally recieved my star. But I have to cut the grill a little bit and glue the star to it, since they have different connections. I wanted to ask you how you did the wiring. The star has two wires, red and black. How do I connect them to the parking light? I ahve never done anything like that with wiring. So do I just cut the existing wires in the partking light, burn the cover of the wires with fire or using knife, then attach wire from the star and tape it? Or is that a too vandal way to do it?))
Sorry but I did not splice into the parking lights. I went directly to the fuse panel. The other wire went to ground. To find out which wire is the ground you can Put touch one wire to the positive battery cable and the other to the metal frame. If light comes on then the one on the positive terminal is the positive and the other is the negative. Hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to tell you which wire to splice into for the parking lights. I would not glue the light in place I would drill a couple of small holes in the light frame and screw it in. That way you can remove it if needed.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:06 PM

S
Yeah, maybe drilling holes would've been a better way, but I didn't have the drill, so I just glued it. I did connect it to fuse 23 and grounded it to the closes screw. So it is working now. So far loving it. The only thing I don't like is that it does not go off at same time as the LED DRLS and parking lights go off. So, it waits another minute or so and only then switches off. And during that minute it looks awkward when it is the only thing lighted up. Can I get rid of that effect? Can I connect it directly to the fuse that is responsible for drls or parking lights so that they turn off together? If yes, what fuse number should I connect to?

Last edited by Timeplson; 10-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, maybe drilling holes would've been a better way, but I didn't have the drill, so I just glued it. I did connect it to fuse 23 and grounded it to the closes screw. So it is working now. So far loving it. The only thing I don't like is that it does not go off at same time as the LED DRLS and parking lights go off. So, it waits another minute or so and only then switches off. And during that minute it looks awkward when it is the only thing lighted up. Can I get rid of that effect? Can I connect it directly to the fuse that is responsible for drls or parking lights so that they turn off together? If yes, what fuse number should I connect to?
I know of no way to eliminate the time delay. I kind of like it that way because it is the last thing to go off and I see the Emblem. I also tapped off the positive wire going to the light and ran it to a switch I installed under the dash. I can turn it off any time with the switch but so far I have never used it.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 PM

I know of no way to eliminate the time delay. I kind of like it that way because it is the last thing to go off and I see the Emblem. I also tapped off the positive wire going to the light and ran it to a switch I installed under the dash. I can turn it off any time with the switch but so far I have never used it.
As for me, it looks nice when all the other lights are on. But having it alighted up alone looks awkawrd.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 PM

Hi, I have connected mine to FUSE23 as well. But recently I noticed, that when the car is locked, I see that the light comes up stays for like 5-10 seconds, then goes off for couple minutes. And that happpens all night long. Have you noticed that same behavior on your star? What can be my problem here?
Old 09-08-2019, 01:20 AM

GL450 x166
Hi, I have connected mine to FUSE23 as well. But recently I noticed, that when the car is locked, I see that the light comes up stays for like 5-10 seconds, then goes off for couple minutes. And that happpens all night long. Have you noticed that same behavior on your star? What can be my problem here?
hello- did you figure this out? I’m about to install an after market star that only has red and black wires. Was going to install at fuse 23 and ground. Don’t want it coming on and off all night. Let me know.