C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

MERCEDES Intelligent Light System questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRV
MERCEDES Intelligent Light System questions

Hi,

My car is with the ILS. No matter where I turn the knob, the headlamps don't seem to behave different. For example, when it's dark, the headlmaps will stay on no matter where I turn the knob. During daytime, they wont' turn on even when I turn it to the very right (Low-beam/high-beam headlamps position). I also notice that the cornering lights don't seem to work. Reading the owner's manual doesn't help. Maybe you guys can chime in. Thank you.

Kat
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
Do you have the stalk fully forwRd so that the A appears?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C180 / 96 Nissan Skyline R33
I don't know where are you from but auto high beam depends on you region. In some regions the high beam assist is separate from Dynamic LEDs. But to turn it on, the light needs to be in auto mode and you need to push the stalk forward to engage it. When you do that, it will show a high beam sign with A in it on top left corner of display in the instruments panel. For the cornering lights it is easier to park the car in front of a wall or similar. You can clearly see that the brightness of the light increases on the side with respect to you steering.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:34 PM

CRV
NVM. I think I was just being crazy. The lights do work.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by kkkat
NVM. I think I was just being crazy. The lights do work.
I can't believe you actually almost sent me to the garage for nothing. ;p
Old 09-15-2016, 03:35 PM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
I have a concern with mine - 2014 GLK with so called Intelligent Lighting System. I have indeed read the manual and know how the system works . . . I find it very sensitive - it "sees" a car from miles away and causes the lights to dim too early. Once the car has passed, it takes some time for it to go back on bright (sometimes it doesn't at all). Sometimes the system "hunts" and switches back and forth between bright and dim for no apparent reason. I live in a remote part of the world (Saskatchewan Canada), so its very dark in the countryside with few lights. The system does seem to distinguish reflective signs quite well which do no seem to affect it. Dealer won't do anything because no fault code shows up. Very disappointed with this system - I constantly have to baby sit it and its just easier to switch it to manual.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
yup, i know what you mean. doesn't seem very intelligent does it? kinda like how dumb "smart"phones can be... hahaha! i see it as just new technology, it'll catch up soon... dim to you may not be dim to the car. its a good system don't get me wrong, but i feel somehow its there for the drivers that may not think of putting the lights on bright when its really dark so they can see much further. kinda like the same people you see that drive around at night with no headlights nor park lights on. i always ask myself how could they even see the dashboard with absolutely all the light off as if it were daytime... so, for them the daytime running lights were invented and a little after auto on headlights... oh, well...
Old 09-16-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
On dark roads I end up switching off the auto lights to put on my brights. The brights never activate no matter how dark the road. The only other option is to hold the stalk or my CSS kicks in. (Can't See ****)
The following users liked this post:
bflaman (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 01:16 PM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
Make sure the knob on the dash is set to auto and the column stalk is moved forward into the "bright" position. You will see the bright indicator on the dash with an "A" in it. Also, you have to going over a certain speed (60 km/hr, I think). I routinely drive a bit of gravel road and have to move the knob out of the auto position to get the brights as I'm not going fast enough.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM

2014 GLK 250 Bluetec
I'm wondering if the system can be adjusted as it seems to be working better now since I complained about it (twice). Service manager definitely does not know how the system works, but maybe the techs were able to do something. At the service counter when I said that the Intelligent Lighting System was not working well, the reply was "what's that?'. Very nice people, but they don't know their own product. MB Canada, same problem, they said it could be set off by reflective street signs - not so, thats one aspect that is working well, it can distinguish street signs and is not affected by them.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Polar White C200 A Exclusive Premium Business
Originally Posted by cenzo86
On dark roads I end up switching off the auto lights to put on my brights. The brights never activate no matter how dark the road. The only other option is to hold the stalk or my CSS kicks in. (Can't See ****)
I found out this, the other night I was driving in total darkness. In manual mode the lights were really bright alongside the total road. In auto mode the high beam shows only the right hand side of the road.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
Originally Posted by Cmersu
I found out this, the other night I was driving in total darkness. In manual mode the lights were really bright alongside the total road. In auto mode the high beam shows only the right hand side of the road.
Mine works great.
When taking someone it has full beam on the left and right of the car in front of me, keeping the car out of the beam.
When someone approaches in the opposite direction it dims that part of the road until it passed. I had once or twice that it did not directly identify some upcoming headlights, but a signal of that car was enough to dim again.
Wouldn't want to miss it anymore.
If it doesn't work I would get it repaired.