What does 'navi' button do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 GLC
What does 'navi' button do?

Hello!

I am still excited and getting familiar with my new car.
One question I have is, I see a 'navi' button while the car's spec doesn't have COMAND package.

So is it just a dummy one? Or maybe we will be able to purchase the Garmin later on?

Thanks advance for replying!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Yes, it's a dummy button. But not sure if you can add navi later.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Cannot add navi later
Old 07-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc300
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Cannot add navi later
MBUSA website for GLC300 has a video which clearly says that Garmin Map Pilot SD card can be added to a model which does not have COMMAND GPS/Multimedia Package.
But, this is not true. For a model with only Premium Package and not multimedia in USA, there is no slot for inserting SD card. On the contrary GLC models in South America and Europe are equipped with SD card slot. It seems unfair for US car buyers like us purchasing the same variant, same brand but are deprived of features which are available in other parts of the world. If there were no GPS on any of the GLCs across the world, why do Merc offer the NAV button?
My dealer says that 2017 model would have that feature. This really sounds unfair.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
The configuration depends on the market. So the Nav button is useful for some vehicles without command.

My Australian delivered GLC does not have command but comes with the Garmin system as standard. The Garmin system has some features such as speed limit display which are not included with command.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:03 AM

glc300
Originally Posted by Penn
The configuration depends on the market. So the Nav button is useful for some vehicles without command.

My Australian delivered GLC does not have command but comes with the Garmin system as standard. The Garmin system has some features such as speed limit display which are not included with command.
Thats great! My US delivered GLC does have a NAV button but it did not come with GARMIN system as standard and neither has speed limit feature on it. The button is not functional at all. I am wondering I could install pre-wiring in order to make it functional but the dealer says that prewiring cannot be done once the car is shipped from the manufacturer.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by street500
Thats great! My US delivered GLC does have a NAV button but it did not come with GARMIN system as standard and neither has speed limit feature on it. The button is not functional at all. I am wondering I could install pre-wiring in order to make it functional but the dealer says that prewiring cannot be done once the car is shipped from the manufacturer.
I've seen this scenario time after time with the introduction of a new Mercedes model. Certain features are held back -- like, in models/years past, auto-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, passenger lumbar support, etc. -- and trickle in as new standard features on the "refreshes" throughout the 6-7 year model life cycle.

It wouldn't surprise me if all models with the touchpad are Garmin compatible but only if one has the savvy to load thru the USB and set it up. Obviously, don't expect help from the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
street500 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 AM

glc300
Originally Posted by guido3
I've seen this scenario time after time with the introduction of a new Mercedes model. Certain features are held back -- like, in models/years past, auto-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, passenger lumbar support, etc. -- and trickle in as new standard features on the "refreshes" throughout the 6-7 year model life cycle.

It wouldn't surprise me if all models with the touchpad are Garmin compatible but only if one has the savvy to load thru the USB and set it up. Obviously, don't expect help from the dealer.
Well, you are correct in this sense as dealer showed me 2017 GLC booklet which has prewiring as a standard feature on one with exclusively premium package. In this sense, we buyers are at loss who have already trusted the video on mbusa for 2016 and purchased the 2016 models. This is a great disappointment! I believe we all who have suffered due to this misconception should report this to MBUSA. I did that today. Just need all of ours opinion too which may convince them to install the prewiring on 2016s too..
Old 07-20-2016, 03:29 PM

2016 Glc300
[QUOTE=guido3;6853927]I've seen this scenario time after time with the introduction of a new Mercedes model. Certain features are held back -- like, in models/years past, auto-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, passenger lumbar support, etc. -- and trickle in as new standard features on the "refreshes" throughout the 6-7 year model life cycle.

It wouldn't surprise me if all models with the touchpad are Garmin compatible but only if one has the savvy to load thru the USB and set it up. Obviously, don't expect help from the dealer.[/QUOTE

Maybe they can install the Garmin later, there's a hope.. I just checked my VIN and it has the GPS signal installed
Attached Thumbnails What does 'navi' button do?-image.png  
Old 07-20-2016, 06:32 PM

glc300
[QUOTE=Kyler0905;6864621]

It wouldn't surprise me if all models with the touchpad are Garmin compatible but only if one has the savvy to load thru the USB and set it up. Obviously, don't expect help from the dealer.[/QUOTE

Maybe they can install the Garmin later, there's a hope.. I just checked my VIN and it has the GPS signal installed
Thanks for the share. Even my car has GPS signal installed.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Code 522 (nav capable multimedia system) + GPS antenna, both of which you have, should preclude any need for additional retrofitting. BUT, without an SD card slot, can an inexpensive USB/SD card adapter be used with the Garmin SD card? My dealer won't touch this question and prefers to side step the issue by saying that Garmin card is not available for the 2016 GLC.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 PM

glc300
Code 522 (nav capable multimedia system) + GPS antenna, both of which you have, should preclude any need for additional retrofitting. BUT, without an SD card slot, can an inexpensive USB/SD card adapter be used with the Garmin SD card? My dealer won't touch this question and prefers to side step the issue by saying that Garmin card is not available for the 2016 GLC.
I tried using the SD card reader, inserted GARMIN SD Map Pilot card and connected it to one of the USB slots in the armrest but its not able to read the MAP files. It only reads MP3, WMV files as media interfaces. I haven't tried but there might be some way the if we could make the system read maps which are on the card and as a result activate the MAP option.
Yes, dealer won't answer this and prefers to side step the issue but as I stated before Garmin SD cards are available for GLC (attaching the image). My dealer said that SD Maps are only available for South America but I could see for NA too on eBay, amazon.
Attached Thumbnails What does 'navi' button do?-img_2127.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 AM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by street500
I tried using the SD card reader, inserted GARMIN SD Map Pilot card and connected it to one of the USB slots in the armrest but its not able to read the MAP files. It only reads MP3, WMV files as media interfaces. I haven't tried but there might be some way the if we could make the system read maps which are on the card and as a result activate the MAP option.
Yes, dealer won't answer this and prefers to side step the issue but as I stated before Garmin SD cards are available for GLC (attaching the image). My dealer said that SD Maps are only available for South America but I could see for NA too on eBay, amazon.
I'm assuming you don't see (as I don't) a "No memory card containing navigation software inserted" message when you hit NAV button? This tells me that the NAV capability, although in the system, is probably locked. Apparently, M-B unlocked it for the 2017 model.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM

GLC300 4matic
Was the sd card original (not used before)?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by MerchoI
Was the sd card original (not used before)?
Good question. Also, if the card is original, perhaps an SA code needs to be added to the head unit in order for the card to be recognized. I believe the code for the Garmin Map Pilot is 357. I suppose the dealer would have to do this. Good luck with that.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 AM

2016 Glc300
Somebody knows how to go to engineering mode?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Kyler0905
Somebody knows how to go to engineering mode?
Don't know about engineering mode. You can get into the dealer menu from SYSTEM SETTINGS, not by opening it, but by just highlighting it and then by holding the selection wheel to left for a few seconds until the dealer menu appears. There you will find several options from which only the first 2 are active, others greyed out. Those first 2 are volumes adjustments including volume adjustments for navigation guidance. I see no option to unlock Garmin navigation, greyed out or otherwise.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic
Sorry to bump a couple month old thread, but I am trying to figure out if I have the COMMAND system or not. I have a 2017 GLC300 4matic with premium 01, I do have an SD card slot in the center console as well as 2 usb ports, and the dealer told me I would be able to add navigation by purchasing the card ($600 really?). Does anyone have any more information?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Originally Posted by jtmann
Sorry to bump a couple month old thread, but I am trying to figure out if I have the COMMAND system or not. I have a 2017 GLC300 4matic with premium 01, I do have an SD card slot in the center console as well as 2 usb ports, and the dealer told me I would be able to add navigation by purchasing the card ($600 really?). Does anyone have any more information?
You don't have COMAND. You can add Garmin navigation (on an SD card, and once you initialize it it becomes specific to your car). And yes, $600 really. Consolation is some prefer the Garmin system to the COMAND nav (I've no opinion, not having used the former).

Happy motoring!
The following users liked this post:
jtmann (09-08-2016)