CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Android touch screen and complete audio system install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Android touch screen and complete audio system install

Hello Everyone I just finished doing a complete new audio system and I have put a list of things needed and tricks so you can have this done the right way .

Parts List :

1.Android Double Din Made for the w209 from Ebay ( Or any double din of your choice )

2. Kicker DS 6.5" component speaker for the front

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-11DS6...AAAOSwv9hW41uW

3. Pyle PLD6 6.5" Subwoofer ( I have an convertible and I don't want a box in the back so I added these instead of the rear speakers. Note the rear factory speaker cutout is 6" . you will need to drill new holes to mount the speaker. I ordered 3 and will retrofit one in the oem sub box . If you have a coupe you have a cutout in the trunk for an 8"

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-PLPW6...oofer/26680517

4. Amplifier ( you can do a 4 ch or 5ch . I went with 5 Ch. for flexibility ). I went with planet audio .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planet-Audio...kAAOxygPtSz3xs

5. Amp Wiring Kit PYLE PLAM40 . Stick to 4 Gauge your not going to need a 0 gauge .This is easier to run .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PYLE-PLAM40-...gAAOSwFnFWAqJz

6. 4 gauge to 8 gauge reducer . This will save you the headache of installing your positive and negative to the amp.

7. Rear view camera

8. USB camera ( android head unit has a DVR for recording full time . You do not need this if you do not want to do it .

9. 1" speaker spacer for 6.5 - 6.75 speakers .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361379438227?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

10. speaker wiring blade terminals

--------------------------------------------------

Install :

This will take you 1 to days to do depending on how fast you can go . I found this to be the best way so your car is not in peaces and without a radio .

1. Amp Kit Install :
Open the hood . on the left side ( passenger side ) is the cabin air filter . Remove it and then the battery underneath ( unlock all your doors and trunk before you disconnect the battery ) Right behind the battery is a long black grommet with wires going into the car . choose an empty slot and start putting the wire through ( use a little lub to get it going .easier .no pun intended ) Once its some what in go inside the car and remove the plastic on the passenger side foot well . There is a small plastic tab remove it to access the screw . using a flashlight look up and to the right there you will see the wire you inserted . pull it through all the way .

2. remove door sill . Then remove the chrome bracket holding the seatbelt making sure not to loose the spacers . and remove both rear seats . once both rear seats are removed there is a bracket for baby seat hold down . once both sides are removed you can remove the top of the back seat by pulling up.

3. This is an extra step but will save your knuckles . Unbolt the front seat but do not remove it from the car . you can push toward the driver side so its out of your way .

4. now run the wire through the door sills and up behind the rear passengers door panel . You will see a black plastic line with wires in it . Run it right next to it .

5. go to your trunk and remove all the liners on the inside . Making sure not to loose the clips .

6. For convertible you will need a long rod or coat hanger to get the wire to the trunk . Once you remove all the carpeting you will see a black cover going from right to left on the trunk with a hole on either side .The best way to do this to get a flashlight and go into the rear seat there is a cutout where all the wires are going into the back . aim the flash light up and you will be able to see it from the trunk . Get the coat hanger and start feeding it in once it comes out behind the rear seats simply attach it to the wire with electric tape and start running it . and you are done with that side .

Install 2 :

Headunit :

. Remove the shifter bezel , cigarette lighter and radio trim bezel . Remove the old radio ( hold on to the screws ) . Note Very important do no disconnect the radio trim bezel . just turn it and it will sit on the dash. If you do you will get an airbag warning light !

2. take out all the wiring you will be using out of the new head unit . and start laying out how you want the wiring to go . I found room behind the A/c Control to put the can bus and other wires . Before you put anything where the old radio went run all your rca's and cable .

3. you will be running 5 Rca , 1 amp blue wire , 1 red power wire for your reverse camera , 1 video cable for the reverse camera and Amp bass gain control if you want to have it .

4. I laid all of them out on the floor and I used electric tape to make them into a loom .

5. in the drivers foot well remove kick panel , and the panel right under the steering wheel . you don't have to remove this one completely just drop it down . you will now see where the upper dash mounts to the lower dash . pull on the lower dash a bit to have it open . go to the cavity where the old stereo used to be . on the left upper side you will see , feel and opening . move the foam around if you cant see it . no run it down and you will see it coming out where the lower console meets the dash . now run the wire loom you made up until it comes through to the radio . once your done run the wires inside the panel under the steering . Make sure to zip tie it to the panel so it does not catch on the steering wheel . now run the wire behind the emergency brake to be covered by the panel .

6. as on the passenger side remove door sills and chrome seatbelt holder and run the wires to the back seat . You will have to use the coat hanger again to do the same thing from the trunk to run the wires .

7. Locate your Factory amplifier . I have the bose and on the convertible it is located right behind the rear wheel well. you will have to unbolt the same to get to it . You do not need to remove just unplug the wiring harness .

8. Now cut and measure 5 sets of speaker wires from the factory amp harness to where you will be mounting your amp . notice the factory wiring harness uses long blade style connectors . Use those when connecting to the factory wiring do no cut the wires . just in case you want to go back to stock .

9.now run all the wires to the amplifier . If you are putting subs in the door like me put the rear door speakers going to CH5 or subwoofer .

10. test the ports on the factory harness to see what speaker wire goes where . There are 6 ch 2 front , 2 rear , 1 center and 1 subwoofer .

Installing the head unit .

1. The head units made for the w209 come with wiring harness no need to make it or splice it . Plug the main one in the back of the headunit and then the stock wiring goes into that . attach the connecting for the rcas , amp blue turn on wire , backup camera video cable , backup camera power cable and power wire coming out of the new harness to the radio antenna adapter . the new harness will have a label for saying antenna wire . make sure everything in neatly tucked away and plugged in .

2. now go and reinstall the battery . power up the system and let it run . test all the speakers using the fader . Test your back up camera and everything else to make sure everything is working . Now you can put the interior back together .

Door Speakers install :

remove the courtesy light under the dooe . Under the arm rest is a plastic cover . Remove it and you will see a screw . now look the door latch . you will see a chrome cover on the top of the door with 3 screws remove it . and right by the catch is a plastic clip remove it . Now remove the tweeter holder . using a plastic wedge or trim removal tool . Start going around and popping the clips once you have the door loose . using the door handle pull it towards you and then up . remove the door opening rod and unplug all the wires and put the door card to the side . remove the front speakers . You will need to use the factory spacer where the speaker sits . just take out the old speaker and put the new one in its place . Run the wires for the tweeter . I did not cut the factory wires I simply soldered on to the connectors . Again you don't want to cut the wiring harness . Run the main speaker wire to the input on the kicker box and then run 1 wire to the speaker and one to the tweeter . The best place to mount the box is under the arm rest right above the speaker . I used Velcro so I can remove it . For the rear speaker you will need the 1" spacer and you will need to drill 4 new holes . Using self taping screws is the best . just remember to put some touch up paint on the holes . you need the spacer because the rear window comes close to the touching the speaker . once done put it back together and repeat on the other side .

Tuning your system

Note : if your headunit sounds very low. go to your headunit and click on settings . go down to where it says factory settings . click on it and put code 126 . This is a hidden feature . go to audio here you can set different levels for Bluetooth radio etc . in my radio it was set to 0 I had to set it to 12 . you can also choose your cars logo here for the start menu . once you finish hit exit and it will ask to reboot .

1. making sure your amplifier gain is on 0 and no eq. turn the music up till you hear it distorting . about 3/4 way. then back it down .
2. now do the math for the your speakers for example :

kicker are rated at 6o w rms per channel . and the speakers are running on 4 ohms . you will do 60 x 4 = 240 . now find the square roots of 240 will be 15.5 .

Take a multi meter and set it to acv . put the red and black wire on channel 1 . turn up until the millimeter reads 15.5 and back it down slightly . once you do this for all the speakers you can play with the high pass filter and other adjustment to get it to sound to your liking .
The following users liked this post:
Lovetoflyfish (03-02-2020)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
No Pics?

Please post :-)
Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 AM

2004 CLK 500
I will upload some later on today when I get home .
Old 03-20-2016, 04:53 PM

2004 CLK 500
Here are the pics of the install . If you guys have any questions feels free to ask.

Stock .

Running Positive wire through firewall behind battery .

Where your rca's run through the opening behind the radio

Speaker install . picture shows how i used the original speaker wire without cutting . the terminal simply plug into the new speakers.

Bose amp location in the trunk . ( This is for convertible ) Just unplug the harness to access the wires . the harness is long so its easy to pull out. Watch the orange fiber optic wires.

how i connected the speaker to the harness . and a list of speaker wires i got off the net . Still test each channel .

Best Location to put the crossover in the door card . I used heavy duty double sided Velcro . This will make taking your door off easier in the future.

New head unit in and wired .

Original sub box retrofit with 6.5 sub-woofer. The first pictures shows a 5" woofer i used but its to low . the second is the pyle 6.5 . This is good for extra bass just don't expect a lot of the speaker . but it adds great sounding bass.I added sound deadening material inside the box . It mad a huge difference .

Finished . Wrapped doors and center console with gloss black vinyl .

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CLK W209
I have always worried about aftermarket HUs and how they integrate, but this one looks pretty decent. The average joe wouldn't know it wasn't OEM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:18 PM

2004 CLK 500
It fits well . What I did was I put the HU in and screwed it and I test fitted the dash . I had to adjust it but it was a 1 min job . BTW I should point out . That you do not need to get an amplifier if you do not want . I tested the HU by it self and it sounds good . Its rated at 50w x4 or 22 rms x4 . but if you get an expensive pair of component speakers you will need the amplifier otherwise the sound is not so great . There are 5 rca's coming out of the HU 4 channels and Subwoofer . The best feature so far is the Mirrorlink to my phone . Plus I can get XM through the app so I don't need to buy an xm radio.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Good job. It look great. I'm curently installing the same HU in my CLK500. I installed and test all the option including GPS antenna, front and rear camera, wire to hook up Iphone, external microphone, etc. Everything is working fine. I do not plan yet to install an external amplifier. The bunch of wire and connector take too much place, I don't have enough room to put HU in place. Do you have an advice on this to help me fix it and enter it in place?

Last edited by cailleute; 03-23-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:12 AM

2004 CLK 500
Hey cailleute . you don't need an external microphone there is one built in the unit and it works pretty well. I had the same issue with the wires here is what you should do .

1st... take the gos antenna and measure how much wire you need and zip tie the rest. when you take out the HU you will see a metal x bar . run your hand up the bar you will find a place to mount the gps antenna where it wont interfere with the HU. Its magnetic and it sticks pretty well . then take the rest of the cord and you can tuck it to the right side .

2nd . take the factory wiring for the radio and run it under the radio right behind the A/C controls there is a bunch of room there . then you can plug in the connectors that came with the radio . Also leave the canbus box there as well . This also the place where i put all my extra wires which helped alot . If you need anything else let me know .
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 PM

CLK500
thanks irokdastar. HU in place and working fine. I removed the external microphone based on your advice. Very happy with this new unit. Next step: waiting about sunshine to hit the road and test it for real!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:51 PM

2004 CLK 500
Let me ask you how is your am/fm radio reception ? mine is horrible
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
For FM reception, make sure pin A5 has +12v. You can just power this on the ACC supply, or from your radio's power antenna output (just make sure the radio has a setting for constant power instead of momentary).

http://benzbits.com/Audio10PinOuts.pdf
The following users liked this post:
irokdastar (04-11-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM

CLK500
Originally Posted by irokdastar
Let me ask you how is your am/fm radio reception ? mine is horrible
My car is still jacked on 4 blocks for full mechanical tune up. So my car is in my garage curently. I get a decent FM reception, but I will have a better idea next week when I will put back the wheels and get the car outside. I will come back to you with my feeling about radio reception.

In the mean time, I don't know for you, put with the bunch of wire received with my Chinese HU, the antenna adapter provide was not fitting the car wiring. I did purchase from aliexpress a ISO to DIN adapter to get a perfect connection with the car antenna.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...380961231.html
Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM

2004 CLK 500
Thanks rudney . I will be doing some work this weekend and will try this.

Also I just want to update everyone . Purchase a good quality signal cable ( RCA ) . I used that ones that came with the amp kit and I am paying for it now . There creating a huge buzzing sound and engine noise...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
It fits well . What I did was I put the HU in and screwed it and I test fitted the dash . I had to adjust it but it was a 1 min job . BTW I should point out . That you do not need to get an amplifier if you do not want . I tested the HU by it self and it sounds good . Its rated at 50w x4 or 22 rms x4 . but if you get an expensive pair of component speakers you will need the amplifier otherwise the sound is not so great . There are 5 rca's coming out of the HU 4 channels and Subwoofer . The best feature so far is the Mirrorlink to my phone . Plus I can get XM through the app so I don't need to buy an xm radio.
Hey man, really appreciate this thread . Just wanted to confirm - I could just buy one of these units and plug it in without needing any other components? If yes, could you possibly link me to the right one? There are so many different options via ebay
Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 AM

2004 CLK 500
What year is your car ? And do you have a bose or HK system ?
Old 04-09-2016, 11:02 AM

W209(sold), W212, X204
What year is your car ? And do you have a bose or HK system ?
2004 model. It should be a Bose system, how can I check? I have the same radio unit as yours
Old 04-09-2016, 01:10 PM

2004 CLK 500
If you have the cd changer odds are you have a bose system . If you want to put just the head unit in with no aftermarket amplifier you will loose the subwoofer . If later you decide you want the subwoofer you can just buy an aftermarket mono amp to power the subwooder . The only other component you need to make this work with a bose system is a bypass harness . Its about $60 dollars and will plug into the back of your headunit and you will run it to the trunk and connect it to the amplifier harness . This will bypass the bose amp and power all the speakers . I added the link below to the headunit . Make sure you email them and tell them you want the bypass cable. If you need help with the install let me know i will be glad to help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231681635087?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI231681635087.N36.S2.R5.TR11
Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 AM

W209(sold), W212, X204
If you have the cd changer odds are you have a bose system . If you want to put just the head unit in with no aftermarket amplifier you will loose the subwoofer . If later you decide you want the subwoofer you can just buy an aftermarket mono amp to power the subwooder . The only other component you need to make this work with a bose system is a bypass harness . Its about $60 dollars and will plug into the back of your headunit and you will run it to the trunk and connect it to the amplifier harness . This will bypass the bose amp and power all the speakers . I added the link below to the headunit . Make sure you email them and tell them you want the bypass cable. If you need help with the install let me know i will be glad to help.

2507US 4 Quad Android 4 4 4 Car Headunit GPS Mercedes Benz C Class W203 CLK W209 | eBay
Interesting, i wonder how it will sound without a subwoofer lol. I'll have to look more into the work required to wire the bypass harness to the trunk, never done any kind of stereo work before. Will definitely reach out to you if I decide to take this route. Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 PM

2004 CLK 500
It's not hard at all. The cable plugs in the back of your new radio and you just run it to the trunk . Then you unplug the bose amplifier harness and you plug it to the end of the bypass harness . That's it . If you decide you want a subwoofer you can add an aftermarket amp .
Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM

2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
For FM reception, make sure pin A5 has +12v. You can just power this on the ACC supply, or from your radio's power antenna output (just make sure the radio has a setting for constant power instead of momentary).

http://benzbits.com/Audio10PinOuts.pdf

Thank you Rudeney . I fixed the radio issue . But I will want to point out that my radio only has 2 plugs not 3 like the pdf was showing . and the pinouts was different for me . but what I did was I fallowed the harness that came with the new radio and it has a blue wire and was tagged as antenna . I hooked a 12v power from the cigarette light and it works .
Old 06-15-2016, 04:17 PM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Just to be sure, if I only order the headunit, it's pretty much plug and play right?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM

2004 CLK 500
Are you adding an amp to run all the speakers ?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:46 PM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Is it necessary to add an amp? I thought it was just take out the old headunit and plop this one in and done.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 PM

2004 CLK 500
No you will to run speaker wires from the unit to the back and tap into the oem amp wire like I did in the picture.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM

2004 CLK 500
Basically mercedes amp , radio and cd changer all rUn on fiber optic . If you remove one they all will not work . So what your doing here is basically bypassing the original equipment. Again a 5 ch amp are like 100 . You don't néed to go crazy here . You can use it to run the subwoofer and 4 speakers . You will basically just run rca from the back of the new unit to the amp . There are some amps that alow you to run on 2 rcas to run everything so you don't need to run many rcas cables.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Android touch screen and complete audio system install