GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

So, I looked at an F-Pace yesterday...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
So, I looked at an F-Pace yesterday...

Yesterday, I was by the tucson auto mall so I decided to look compare some GLC competitors. First stop was Royal Jaguar/Land Rover to look at a Range Rover Evoque and see if they had an F-Pace. Luckily, they did have one. The first one and only one in the Tucson area. All I can say is, it is MUCH nicer in person than on the internet. Everything is solid as can be, nice infotainment screen, stitching everywhere, tightly upholstered seats. If it didn't say Jaguar, I would have though it were a German car. The fit and finish was that good. Only gripes were I wish there was more wood in the interior and you had the option for a chrome mesh grille instead of the black one.

Then I headed to the Lexus portion of the parking lot to see the NX and RX. Sorry to say this, and no offense intended to anyone who may like them. Those things felt cheesy as hell! Everything from the hollow feeling of the doors to the odd feeling leathers and plastics. They just weren't my idea of what expensive cars should be. Not to mention they weren't the most attractive cars I've ever seen. Gone mare the days when Lexus offered comparable or better materials for less money. The Europeans and dare I say, even Americans are wooping their a$$ in that department.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
All the new Lexus vehicles are fugly with the big *** grill thing.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by JEVA
They are bad! Just bad! I was not the least bit impressed by them at all. The sales guy said that customers love them Yeah I'm sure.. Only one I could stand was the LX's butt. Other than that, they're all nasty.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
I hate those wide-mouth-bass grills. Not crazy about the Audi versions, either.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:51 PM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Totally agree. Not sure what Lexus was thinking?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes GLC 4matic, 2010 Infiniti G37x
Originally Posted by DBV
Totally agree. Not sure what Lexus was thinking?
I agree as well. My wife and I didn't even look at the Lexus because of the new grille.

I also think the F-Pace is a great looking car, but feel the GLC has the best overall combination of looks, comfort and value (plus the added benefit of being able to go pick it up in Gemany )
Old 05-25-2016, 04:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
I considered the F-Pace before ordering the GLC. Think I've won that one. However, wondering the reason for this post in the MB forum when it's got nothing really to do with MB??
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaguar XFS & wife GLC250 AMG Line Premium Plus
I'm a big fan of Jaguars, owning an XFS but unfortunately the F Pace was not available when we bought the GLC. Having now seen the F Pace its a close call, however value for money the GLC wins hands down.
May consider the F Pace for myself later in the year???????????
Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW 5 Series and BMW X3
This is the reason I'm currently shopping the GLC. Before this new styling, the RX would have been high on my list, but my wife and I agree that it just isn't for us and won't be considered.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by Mikeyking
I considered the F-Pace before ordering the GLC. Think I've won that one. However, wondering the reason for this post in the MB forum when it's got nothing really to do with MB??
I was just letting people know that I had seen it in person and what I thought since they are in limited supply. Plus it has been a topic of conversation before. I'm shopping for cars in that segment and looking very intently at the GLC hence why I'm on this forum. I prefer to look at everything on the market before I make a decision this big. Especially when plunking down cash in full for it.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 PM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by Greg Meier
I'm a big fan of Jaguars, owning an XFS but unfortunately the F Pace was not available when we bought the GLC. Having now seen the F Pace its a close call, however value for money the GLC wins hands down.
May consider the F Pace for myself later in the year???????????
Absolutely! The GLC is a great value. The F-pace, while nice, dosent offer as much for the same money. I did a build for the f-pace just for fun with similar content that I want with in GLC and it came out about $4,000 more than the Mercedes and I don't even think that includes full led headlamps! Similar thing with the Q5 and macan. The X3 came out about the same price as the GLC but it's an older design, no ventilated seats, nothing comparable to the air balance package, and no adjustable thigh support for the passenger seat. It really is a good value. It's no wonder they sell like crazy.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
We have the GLC300 and an older Jaguar (XK8). We are looking into the F-Pace actually. Obviously we like Jaguar's and now love our Mercedes Benz. We are supposed to get a call from our Jag dealer any day now for a looksee. We may have to have 3 cars!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
F pace is gorgeous ... Love that suv
Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
I like the subdued refinement of the F-Pace exterior; I think the interior is a bit bland and dated and its Toyota 4runner-esque high mounted window controls are a little out of place.

As an aside, the F-Pace is a slightly larger vehicle than the GLC, which is nice.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:09 AM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by cyber3d
We have the GLC300 and an older Jaguar (XK8). We are looking into the F-Pace actually. Obviously we like Jaguar's and now love our Mercedes Benz. We are supposed to get a call from our Jag dealer any day now for a looksee. We may have to have 3 cars!
If you love cars with tight as a drum fit and finish (obviously you do, you have a glc) I think you'll really like the F-pace. It has become my 3rd fav next to the x3 and ties with the new XT5. But there's just something about the GLC. It gives you everything you need and nothing you don't plus more! Only wish there was heated and cooled cup holders, alcantara headliner, wood steering wheel, reclining rear seats, cooled seats in the front. Plus I'm kind of concerned about long-term Jaguar/Land Rover quality but it appears they're trying to fix it with their class-leading new vehicle warranty and complimentary scheduled maintenance the first 2 years. Also check out the Range Rover Evoque, if you haven't already. Also a sweet ride!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
i saw the F-pace in person at the local auto show a few months back and what deterred me was its price which is $5000 more than the GLC as well as the window switches that are located on top of the door which seemed weird and unnatural to me. Also i was a little iffy about the jaguar/landrover reliability as i plan on taking the vehicle on some very long journeys. on a side note the burmister sound system for only $1000 was definitely a huge draw!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 AM

GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
We hoped to compare against an F-Pace, when choosing our new motor. The salesman gleefully informed us that there was a 9 months' delivery queue for even a basic one (UK), so it didn't even make it to our shortlist. Shame - it looked OK but the GLC is better value.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:46 AM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3
Originally Posted by MartynW
We hoped to compare against an F-Pace, when choosing our new motor. The salesman gleefully informed us that there was a 9 months' delivery queue for even a basic one (UK), so it didn't even make it to our shortlist. Shame - it looked OK but the GLC is better value.
I read a report a while back saying Jaguar had 10k pre-orders worldwide for the F Pace. 2k from the U.S. A dealer near me has two on the lot.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
Absolutely! The GLC is a great value. The F-pace, while nice, dosent offer as much for the same money. I did a build for the f-pace just for fun with similar content that I want with in GLC and it came out about $4,000 more than the Mercedes and I don't even think that includes full led headlamps!
I haven't done a comparison with a spreadsheet or anything to debate your statement, but note that for $42k (cost of a base GLC with an turbo I4 and AWD), the F-Pace gives you a (much) larger and more powerful (+70HP, +60Tq) engine and a larger chassis (+8" wider).

(Yes, if you're picking nits the difference between the two is $400. Size aside, you can't even get a larger engine in the GLC - yet. When you can, rumor has it that the GLC43 will start at $50-$55k. Granted, with a lot of options as standard, further muddying the waters for comparison.)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
A nice SUV, made in UK, but untested. Compared to mates GLC with several "Packs", the F-Pace is around $27,000 extra, ( for Jag base model, worse if matched to MB base model and not 250d) Ouch.... In fairness to Jaguar, this is not comparing apples . The $27000 extra is before any dealer discounting, but even a 10% discount would not get near. Also based on smaller 2lt engine with less performance, not that most buyers would notice 0-100 difference.
I can only hope they reprice and do factory bundles for Oz.
Buyers are getting more selective and currently are snapping up GLC types as best value in market currently. Jag are definately hunting Porche $$$ and emulating Land Rover and Audi marketing approach by charging premium prices for items standard in lesser types. The Mazda 3 SP25 at $110k less has a lot of the high tech anti collision and crash avoidance, incl heated seats and HUD, etc, go figure !
Brand badging is important, but...
Old 05-28-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK350, M3 ZCP
Sorry but the F-Pace can't compete with the GLC or Macan as far as quality or refinement. I went to the Jaguar dealer a few days and was lucky enough to check out the XE and F-Pace AND drive the F-Pace 35t R Sport. Lots of hard plastics, mediocre infotainment system, and the digital gauge cluster isn't as nice as Audi virtual cockpit. However, it does have presence for sure, looks and sounds great. Base GLC vs Base FPace is not even close though. Dynamically it felt pretty close to the Macan I drove a while ago, definitely sporty but still comfortable. Lots of storage space in the back. Rear visibility is surprising decent.

Imagine a Land Rover with Jaguar styling and badging. The quality (to me) is very similar, good or bad...

Aaron
Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
It's a range rover sport in jaguar clothing.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 AM

2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron
Sorry but the F-Pace can't compete with the GLC or Macan as far as quality or refinement. I went to the Jaguar dealer a few days and was lucky enough to check out the XE and F-Pace AND drive the F-Pace 35t R Sport. Lots of hard plastics, mediocre infotainment system, and the digital gauge cluster isn't as nice as Audi virtual cockpit. However, it does have presence for sure, looks and sounds great. Base GLC vs Base FPace is not even close though. Dynamically it felt pretty close to the Macan I drove a while ago, definitely sporty but still comfortable. Lots of storage space in the back. Rear visibility is surprising decent.

Imagine a Land Rover with Jaguar styling and badging. The quality (to me) is very similar, good or bad...

Aaron
I totally agree that the cabin theme isn't as luxurious as you'd think a Jaguar would or should be. They appear like they want to be known as the "British BMW" and not as the "British Mercedes-Benz" like they once were. One thing that I like about Mercedes is that, although their brand image isn't necessarily about sporty driving characteristics, they know how to split sportiness and uber-luxury 50/50. They give you the options of sporty exterior packages or luxury ones, sporty interior trims like carbon fiber, ash woods, piano black and aluminum, exclusive leather packages ect... With Jaguar, unfortunately you're stuck with black grilles until the XJ and even then you don't even get a Jaguar hood ornament to go with the chrome mesh grille. With all that said I liked it quite well and it didn't feel as cheap as it appeared over the internet. There isn't a whole lot in the compact-midsize luxury segment that I totally hated except the RDX which sucked, the NX and RX (I won't even go there). Loved the stuff Volvo had to offer, liked the QX50 and QX60 pretty well despite them being a bit dated. The Q5 was just okay on the inside. Put together very well with top notch materials but time for a redesign. It screams end of 2008. But what really knocks my socks off is the GLC. After looking at everything, it's still the GLC. Those fine folks in Stuttgart, Baden-Würtemberg have created a masterpiece!
The following users liked this post:
OhioRiderAaron (05-31-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of the F-Pace now that it has been out for a couple months.

My issue is the GLC is a bit too small for what we want and the GLE is probably too big. The FP fits nicely in the middle here.

My opinion:
-FP is nicer looking outside, GLC is nicer inside.
-FP is sportier with a lot more power, GLC perhaps more luxurious with that interior but The FP is not bad
-Size goes to the FP
-Price (MSRP) goes to the GLC (not by much at least by my config) but then we are comparing a 4cyl to a 6 - 95% confident that it will be cheaper than an AMG GLC43.
- not much discount on the FP (if at all), 10-15% (if you believe what you read) on GLC (big win there)
-Noteworthy reliability questions on Jag but it has 5 yr 60k warranty and 5 yr 60kmi free scheduled maintenance
-Sound - FP wins this one by a mile (that is if this matters to you).
-full digital dash is very nice (I'll agree not as nice as the Q7), NA on the GLC.
-The pro-reviewers like the FP, but this doesn't amount to much IMO.

Anything else I am missing?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300
I was debating between an FPace and a GLC and ultimately went with the GLC. Most of the reasons were really just subjective. For example, I really liked the the interior of the GLC vs. the F-Pace. The GLC felt lux while the F-Pace just didn't. As far as drive, they were both good but I thought the GLC handled a bit better. Power isn't a huge concern for me compared to fuel economy so it wasn't really something I was looking at. A kicker for me was that my wife liked the GLC a lot more, and I try to follow the "happy wife, happy life" motto.

I really liked that the FPace has a diesel model. The VW scandal has scared so many other manufacturers off of the technology, so this is one of the few cars in this style that has diesel. However, I couldn't test drive a diesel since they won't be out until later in the fall.

One concern that I had with the F-Pace was reliability, particularly because (1) it's a brand new model, and (2) it's a Jag. The GLC has a year under its belt so hopefully they've had more time to fix initial issues.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll be happy whatever post you make!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So, I looked at an F-Pace yesterday...