European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC

Old 07-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
VW Passat and soon to be GLC owner
My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC

Hi all,

I'm so excited about my MB ED order. I researched the program for months before finally deciding to go through with it. I read that you'll never want to buy a car the normal way again once you do a European Delivery Program. After going to Stuttgart, picking up my car, and driving around Europe, I completely agree. I don't think I can buy a car the traditional way again! Being a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast, I knew this was the route to take! My first car was my dad's 1984 300d. And several years later I had a 1978 240d. I've had several VW's in between, but MB has always been my first love!

I placed an EDP order for my GLC 300 4Matic through Mercedes-Benz of Arlington, VA, on March 4, 2016, with a delivery date of June 20, 2016. Note that delivery is possible Monday - Friday. It was a seamless process. I picked out exactly what I wanted through the online build your MB feature, went to the dealer, and placed a small deposit on my order. I was immediately given more information, such as MD ED tours, restaurants in Stuttgart, etc. After about a few weeks, my order was confirmed. I then submitted my hotel application, all the other required documents, booked my flights, and planned my trip. I received a nice little packet from Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta that included my taxi vouchers, MB Museum vouchers, Emergency card, and restaurant vouchers; all in a MB EDP embossed travel wallet. On March 29th, I decided to make a modification to my order, and added the Premium Package. About 30 days out I submitted the remaining balance to my dealer.

Day 1: Sunday, June 19, 2016
My sister joined me on my epic trip. We arrived in Stuttgart and checked in to the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin Hotel. I used one of the two taxi vouchers provided. I found a taxi office in the airport as you come out of arrivals. There are taxis outside as well, which I noticed afterwards. Make sure to ask if they'll take the MB voucher. Since the MB Museum is closed on Mondays, we went on Sunday. The museum is beautiful! It sort of reminds me of the Guggenheim in NYC with the circular ramps that take you to the various floors. The museum provides you with free audio tours in a variety of languages. Cars from 1886 to present are on display. The elevators in the center of the building are very futuristic/modern.

Day 2: Tuesday, June 20, 2016
We had breakfast at the hotel (included). Definitely eat breakfast at the hotel and use the vouchers to have lunch at MB Sindelfingen (delivery center). After breakfast, we checked-out, and had the hotel store our luggage. For a different experience, I booked my 2nd night at a hotel outside of city center. You'll find taxis waiting outside the hotel. Don't forget to ask if they'll take the MB voucher. P.S. all taxis seem to be Mercedes S class models, at least the two I rode in! We arrived at the delivery center just after 10:30am. There are two Factory tours - 10:30am and 1:30pm. The 1:30pm tour is longer and shows you more than the 10:30 tour. The MB ED rep I dealt with at check-in suggested I take delivery now, park the car in the lot, have lunch, then do the factory tour. Since we were full from breakfast, we walked around the main hall. We were entitled to snacks/drinks at the cafe. We ordered coffee. We proceeded to the gift shop and bought hats and a new key chain holder.

At 11:45am we proceeded to the delivery area to receive my new car. The enclosed area had about 20 cars for delivery. The trainer walked us out to the delivery area and took us to my car. He gave us about an hour long training on all the features, gadgets, buttons of the car. This is a required service included with the program for $40, and well worth it! After, we drove the car out and parked it in the lot. We came back in and since we still weren't hungry, we proceeded to the 1:30pm factory tour. FYI - The restaurant closes at 4pm.

For the tours you meet near the restaurant area in the theater. This is behind doors. We misunderstood the meeting place, and missed the short film before boarding the bus. The bus takes you to several buildings on the enormous campus. We saw the steel rolls being cut and pressed into various body panels and then assembled to create the chassis, all done by robots and quality controlled by people. Then we saw the assembly line where parts are assembled by people while the car moves slowly on a conveyor belt. The factory tour was simply fascinating and impeccably clean. I believe the models created at this factory are the E, S, and Maybach. To see the amount of craftsmanship put into each vehicle by robot and human makes you appreciate your car even more! P.S. for obvious reasons, no pics allowed on factory tour.

At about 3:30pm we returned to the main customer delivery center. We immediately proceeded to the restaurant, which happily accepted us so late. We had a wonderful 3-course lunch artfully prepared by the MB chefs. After lunch we moved my car from the lot to the front of the building where the big star logo sits. At this point there were barely any visitors. So we had the practically had the place to ourselves. Great picture taking time! After taking a few shots, we proceeded back to the hotel and pickup our luggage. We checked in at Waldhotel just outside of city center (about 10 minutes).

Days 3 - 4: June 21-23
Checked out of Waldhotel and headed to Gstaad, Switzerland. Please note, if you drive through Switzerland, you'll need to buy a Swiss motorway vignette (sticker). This sticker must be affixed to your windshield. These stickers are sold at rest stops and gas stations. MB provides you this guidance in their packets via email before delivery.

Days 5 - 7: June 23-26
Drove to Lake Como. On our way from Gstaad to Como, we boarded a car train. Think of it like a car ferry - you drive on the train, stay in your car throughout the ride, and view the scenery through the open air train. Very cool experience. I took the train from Kandersteg to Goppenstein, then drove to Brig and boarded another car train that took us to Iselle. The direct route of Kandersteg to Iselle only operates on the weekends. Each leg of the train ride took about 15-20 minutes, and tickets were purchased on-site at a toll booth.

Day 7-8: June 26-27
Drove to Munich Airport, dropped off sister, and I checked into a hotel very close to the airport. Car drop offs are typically available free of charge Monday - Friday. Weekend drop offs are possible at some locations for a fee. This info is provided to you in the 3 months leading up to delivery. The drop off point at Munich airport is conveniently located at the terminal. They said my car would be at the port the next day, June 28th, and will take about 8 weeks before I can pick it up from my dealer.

I took a pic with my car in every location. The Alps in the background was gorgeous! Lots of Walter Mitty moments! (movie reference). I wanted to stop at Neuschwanstein Castle, but didn't have enough time. I wish I took advantage of the full 2 weeks, but only had time for 1 week. Hopefully next time. Out of the 30+ countries I've been to, this trip was probably my favorite!

Can't wait for my baby to arrive!!
Attached Thumbnails My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC-20160620_170519.jpg   My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC-20160622_121921.jpg   My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC-20160626_070127.jpg   My MB ED Experience - 2016 GLC-20160626_072928.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by gulcin:
dejongj (09-18-2016), eurmail (08-13-2017), KB5 (11-06-2016), Lurkerlisa (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i
Congratulation to your ED and your new MBZ.
Thanks for sharing with us your experience.

P.S. WE all waiting for more pictures
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Nice report, beautiful new MB! Then, everything that Gary said!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
How much discount could you get from the ED? Thanks.

Originally Posted by gulcin
Hi all,

I'm so excited about my MB ED order. I researched the program for months before finally deciding to go through with it. I read that you'll never want to buy a car the normal way again once you do a European Delivery Program. After going to Stuttgart, picking up my car, and driving around Europe, I completely agree. I don't think I can buy a car the traditional way again! Being a Mercedes-Benz enthusiast, I knew this was the route to take! My first car was my dad's 1984 300d. And several years later I had a 1978 240d. I've had several VW's in between, but MB has always been my first love!

I placed an EDP order for my GLC 300 4Matic through Mercedes-Benz of Arlington, VA, on March 4, 2016, with a delivery date of June 20, 2016. Note that delivery is possible Monday - Friday. It was a seamless process. I picked out exactly what I wanted through the online build your MB feature, went to the dealer, and placed a small deposit on my order. I was immediately given more information, such as MD ED tours, restaurants in Stuttgart, etc. After about a few weeks, my order was confirmed. I then submitted my hotel application, all the other required documents, booked my flights, and planned my trip. I received a nice little packet from Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta that included my taxi vouchers, MB Museum vouchers, Emergency card, and restaurant vouchers; all in a MB EDP embossed travel wallet. On March 29th, I decided to make a modification to my order, and added the Premium Package. About 30 days out I submitted the remaining balance to my dealer.

Day 1: Sunday, June 19, 2016
My sister joined me on my epic trip. We arrived in Stuttgart and checked in to the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin Hotel. I used one of the two taxi vouchers provided. I found a taxi office in the airport as you come out of arrivals. There are taxis outside as well, which I noticed afterwards. Make sure to ask if they'll take the MB voucher. Since the MB Museum is closed on Mondays, we went on Sunday. The museum is beautiful! It sort of reminds me of the Guggenheim in NYC with the circular ramps that take you to the various floors. The museum provides you with free audio tours in a variety of languages. Cars from 1886 to present are on display. The elevators in the center of the building are very futuristic/modern.

Day 2: Tuesday, June 20, 2016
We had breakfast at the hotel (included). Definitely eat breakfast at the hotel and use the vouchers to have lunch at MB Sindelfingen (delivery center). After breakfast, we checked-out, and had the hotel store our luggage. For a different experience, I booked my 2nd night at a hotel outside of city center. You'll find taxis waiting outside the hotel. Don't forget to ask if they'll take the MB voucher. P.S. all taxis seem to be Mercedes S class models, at least the two I rode in! We arrived at the delivery center just after 10:30am. There are two Factory tours - 10:30am and 1:30pm. The 1:30pm tour is longer and shows you more than the 10:30 tour. The MB ED rep I dealt with at check-in suggested I take delivery now, park the car in the lot, have lunch, then do the factory tour. Since we were full from breakfast, we walked around the main hall. We were entitled to snacks/drinks at the cafe. We ordered coffee. We proceeded to the gift shop and bought hats and a new key chain holder.

At 11:45am we proceeded to the delivery area to receive my new car. The enclosed area had about 20 cars for delivery. The trainer walked us out to the delivery area and took us to my car. He gave us about an hour long training on all the features, gadgets, buttons of the car. This is a required service included with the program for $40, and well worth it! After, we drove the car out and parked it in the lot. We came back in and since we still weren't hungry, we proceeded to the 1:30pm factory tour. FYI - The restaurant closes at 4pm.

For the tours you meet near the restaurant area in the theater. This is behind doors. We misunderstood the meeting place, and missed the short film before boarding the bus. The bus takes you to several buildings on the enormous campus. We saw the steel rolls being cut and pressed into various body panels and then assembled to create the chassis, all done by robots and quality controlled by people. Then we saw the assembly line where parts are assembled by people while the car moves slowly on a conveyor belt. The factory tour was simply fascinating and impeccably clean. I believe the models created at this factory are the E, S, and Maybach. To see the amount of craftsmanship put into each vehicle by robot and human makes you appreciate your car even more! P.S. for obvious reasons, no pics allowed on factory tour.

At about 3:30pm we returned to the main customer delivery center. We immediately proceeded to the restaurant, which happily accepted us so late. We had a wonderful 3-course lunch artfully prepared by the MB chefs. After lunch we moved my car from the lot to the front of the building where the big star logo sits. At this point there were barely any visitors. So we had the practically had the place to ourselves. Great picture taking time! After taking a few shots, we proceeded back to the hotel and pickup our luggage. We checked in at Waldhotel just outside of city center (about 10 minutes).

Days 3 - 4: June 21-23
Checked out of Waldhotel and headed to Gstaad, Switzerland. Please note, if you drive through Switzerland, you'll need to buy a Swiss motorway vignette (sticker). This sticker must be affixed to your windshield. These stickers are sold at rest stops and gas stations. MB provides you this guidance in their packets via email before delivery.

Days 5 - 7: June 23-26
Drove to Lake Como. On our way from Gstaad to Como, we boarded a car train. Think of it like a car ferry - you drive on the train, stay in your car throughout the ride, and view the scenery through the open air train. Very cool experience. I took the train from Kandersteg to Goppenstein, then drove to Brig and boarded another car train that took us to Iselle. The direct route of Kandersteg to Iselle only operates on the weekends. Each leg of the train ride took about 15-20 minutes, and tickets were purchased on-site at a toll booth.

Day 7-8: June 26-27
Drove to Munich Airport, dropped off sister, and I checked into a hotel very close to the airport. Car drop offs are typically available free of charge Monday - Friday. Weekend drop offs are possible at some locations for a fee. This info is provided to you in the 3 months leading up to delivery. The drop off point at Munich airport is conveniently located at the terminal. They said my car would be at the port the next day, June 28th, and will take about 8 weeks before I can pick it up from my dealer.

I took a pic with my car in every location. The Alps in the background was gorgeous! Lots of Walter Mitty moments! (movie reference). I wanted to stop at Neuschwanstein Castle, but didn't have enough time. I wish I took advantage of the full 2 weeks, but only had time for 1 week. Hopefully next time. Out of the 30+ countries I've been to, this trip was probably my favorite!

Can't wait for my baby to arrive!!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
VW Passat and soon to be GLC owner
The default 7%, plus an additional 2% from the dealer.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Don't see report from testing governor on autobahn?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Glad you specified ED meant European Delivery. Didn't know MB was involved in the other sort of ED