S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Dealer damaged car while in service

Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 S550
Dealer damaged car while in service

YUP

Last edited by survey1; 04-01-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Let them fix it. If they don't do a quality repair, then point out the flaws and make them re-do it. A quality repair won't diminish the value of your car at all. Since it was not involved in an accident, nothing will be reported to CarFax.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, my thoughts as well. Let them fix it. If it's not an acceptable repair then you can explore options for recourse. Odds are you'd never know it has been shot. What color is the car?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E350; 12 Camaro; 07 Range Rocer; 06 Dodge Ram
Let them fix it. Are you going to tell the new buyer that the car was damaged??? Just be happy, don't lose sleep over a simple minor issue.
The following users liked this post:
mercedesbenzs55 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 PM

2012 S550
Originally Posted by jylee
Let them fix it. Are you going to tell the new buyer that the car was damaged??? Just be happy, don't lose sleep over a simple minor issue.
Most buyers now are smart enough to detect paint on the private market and if I try to trade every appraiser/dealer is going to detect paint and deduct money from their offer to buy or on a private sale they may just avoid the car altogether suspecting unreported accident repair. Neither of these problems should become mine as I did not cause the damage.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm a trained, licensed adjuster with over a decade of field experience. While I can certainly spot a bad paint job, I've had my own cars shot at my local MB certified shop and the work was imperceptible, that is, visually I could not tell the areas had been painted.

I had also had the shop refinish an entire AMG body kit that I bought salvage as piecemeal and install it on my 2004 S Class. It looked perfect. In fact I traded the car at an MB dealership and nobody blinked, despite the fact the VIN would have come back for a non AMG package car if they checked.

As I said earlier, let them fix it. If there's an issue with the quality of the work, then you may have something to complain about.

But as far as lay people or even professionals instantly recognizing that your car had some minor non-collision paint work and the car being irreparably devalued as a result is a fantasy.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by survey1
Most buyers now are smart enough to detect paint on the private market and if I try to trade every appraiser/dealer is going to detect paint and deduct money from their offer to buy or on a private sale they may just avoid the car altogether suspecting unreported accident repair. Neither of these problems should become mine as I did not cause the damage.
I think you're giving way too much credit to "most buyers" and "every appraiser/dealer". If the work is done to a high standard, which most reputable body shops do, then NOBODY is ever going to spot that it was repaired. You drive a nearly 5 year old car. It's likely not a car that you will have Wayne Carini take to a concours to try and win a prize where they are looking for even the slightest flaws in the paint (which there are plenty right out of the factory). Let them do the repairs. You won't have any other recourse unless they happen to do a crappy job.

If you purchased your car used, there is a pretty decent chance that at least some minor paint work was done to your car by a previous owner than you never even knew about.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM

2012 S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I think you're giving way too much credit to "most buyers" and "every appraiser/dealer". If the work is done to a high standard, which most reputable body shops do, then NOBODY is ever going to spot that it was repaired. You drive a nearly 5 year old car. It's likely not a car that you will have Wayne Carini take to a concours to try and win a prize where they are looking for even the slightest flaws in the paint (which there are plenty right out of the factory). Let them do the repairs. You won't have any other recourse unless they happen to do a crappy job.

If you purchased your car used, there is a pretty decent chance that at least some minor paint work was done to your car by a previous owner than you never even knew about.
I have a paint meter and know exactly what to look for in terms of paint. I don't buy used cars with anything more than wheels or maybe one bumper cover painted. My car had only the wheels done before this fiasco started.

After a lot of calling, I managed to get a hold of the dealership's parent ownership group and they agreed to let a 3rd party diminished value appraiser look at the car and then they (the owner) will cut me a check for that loss amount which I think it fair for both sides. This was after I let 3 dealers look at it and they all came back with 5-10% deductions and notes indicating paint and possible accident damage.....just as I suspected. This just re-affirmed my concern.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
Well done keeping after these shady dealers. You are better off with the money. If you one day decide you can't live with the scratches you can choose where to get them fixed. You car is five years old so maybe just move on...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I think that's fair as long as when you trade or sell the car in the future you disclose the paintwork and reflect the diminished value in your asking price.

So why does paint on a bumper not diminish the value but paint on a door does?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
If you actually get anything out of this for "diminished value", I'll be completely shocked that the dealer would actually do that. There is no actual diminished value for doing some minor repairs to paint due to a non-collision situation like this. If you're car was hit in the side and suffered significant damage, I'd understand it. But in your case, it sounds like you're trying to make a quick buck at the expense of the dealership who will likely have it repaired to a point where you'd never notice that anything ever happened. You'd certainly get full value for the car at the time of sale or trade-in if the paint repairs are completed at a Benz worthy level. It's not like you'd be trying to trade in Benzs55's wreck expecting full value.

After the paint repairs are completed, take it to a different dealer for any future repairs if you're not satisfied with this one.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I think that's fair as long as when you trade or sell the car in the future you disclose the paintwork and reflect the diminished value in your asking price.

Good question. I guess I'm completely screwed because last summer an SUV opened their door hard against mine and put a small dent at the crease in the passenger rear door. I had it repaired and can't even tell that anything ever happened. But I guess I'm screwed because I didn't collect for "diminished value".
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM

2012 S550

Good questions,

I always disclose paint when I private sale a car so their are no surprises and no attempts at trying to return the car to me. I've never had one come back because I'm honest up front the buyer. They cannot say "you didn't tell me".

A bumper is within what is considered normal wear repaint on cars that are 5+ years old and have 40-50k miles. Painting an entire side of the car is not normal.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Good questions,

I always disclose paint when I private sale a car so their are no surprises and no attempts at trying to return the car to me. I've never had one come back because I'm honest up front the buyer. They cannot say "you didn't tell me".

A bumper is within what is considered normal wear repaint on cars that are 5+ years old and have 40-50k miles. Painting an entire side of the car is not normal.
You can't make this stuff up! Oh wait.....maybe you can.

If you're so honest with buyers of your damaged cars, then you might want to get some pictures of the damage before any repairs are made....so they can see that the car was not in a collision. If the entire side of the car needs to be painted, it sounds like they made multiple dents all over each panel of the entire side of the car. Otherwise, only the spots that were damaged will be fixed and the paint will be blended.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Bumpers would bother me more, since they likely indicate a collision. Depending on the color and the condition of the original paint it's possible to spot paint the doors. They'd still have to clear the whole door but it would avoid all of the blending into the fenders, rockers, quarters and C pillars.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C207
You can't make this stuff up! Oh wait.....maybe you can.

If you're so honest with buyers of your damaged cars, then you might want to get some pictures of the damage before any repairs are made....so they can see that the car was not in a collision. If the entire side of the car needs to be painted, it sounds like they made multiple dents all over each panel of the entire side of the car. Otherwise, only the spots that were damaged will be fixed and the paint will be blended.

That BS flag means Buy Safe right?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
I'm sharing this thread with any of my friends who think I'm **** about my S. This is next level.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
you could also trade it in at the same dealer and make sure you get in writing about the no diminished value statement.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Since there is no actual diminished value except in the mind of the OP, he could take it to any dealer for trade-in or sell it outright after proper repairs and get full value.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:45 PM

2012 S550
Since there is no actual diminished value except in the mind of the OP, he could take it to any dealer for trade-in or sell it outright after proper repairs and get full value.
I'm sorry to say that I now have 3 diminished value appraisals from professionals that would fully disagree with your statement.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I'm sorry to say that I now have 3 diminished value appraisals from professionals that would fully disagree with your statement.
Wow....that's incredible! 3 diminished value reports before any repairs have ever been made to your car. Their psychic abilities to foresee that there will be some crappy repairs to your car that will lower its value is AMAZING!! To have those kind of abilities, you'd have to be more than a "professional". Perhaps they were related to Whoopi Goldberg's character in Ghost. Are you sure that they didn't get confused by reading through Benzs55's thread?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
If you go to a Mercedes certified body shop repair facility, then it is going to be tough for anyone to detect that it has been worked on.

Last edited by Nuru; 07-27-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Blah
Old 07-24-2016, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Well yeah...they're "diminished value appraisers". It's not surprising that they came back with a number. Used car buyers and used car appraisers at dealerships aren't diminished value appraisers. If the car's had paint work and you can't tell by looking at it, there's no basis to reduce the value.

I say if you can squeeze a few grand from these morons more power to ya, but those are some gullible sums a *****es up there.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM

2012 S550
Well yeah...they're "diminished value appraisers". It's not surprising that they came back with a number. Used car buyers and used car appraisers at dealerships aren't diminished value appraisers. If the car's had paint work and you can't tell by looking at it, there's no basis to reduce the value.

I say if you can squeeze a few grand from these morons more power to ya, but those are some gullible sums a *****es up there.
So I acted like I wanted to trade it at a few dealers and didn't tell them about the paint work, they all found it. Every single dealer had notes "painted whole side" or similar.

Any yes, its been fixed a MB cert repair shop to a high standard.

So again to disprove everyone here who said there is no value loss.....you clearly have no idea what you are talking about but then again this isn't a legal board as I said in my opening post so I'm not surprised at the comments.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Do you have any before/after pics of the damaged area and repair? If you can tell by looking at it that the side was reshot, either the rest of the car's paint was in such poor shape the new paint stands out, or the new paint job was poorly done.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer damaged car while in service