back in the fold...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 PM
MNR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
back in the fold...

just picked up a 2000 e55 with 109k on it. been more than a short while to get back into an amg and couldnt be happier with the dude who sold it to me! just a dented hood and a couple other minor niggles. one question, well 2. there are some dials and such right next to each seat that adjust lumbar etc but moving the dials doesnt do anything. common problem? easy fix? also in some very recent work orders noted leaking of valve cover gasket (no biggie) and rear main seal (BIGGIE) couldnt see under the vehicle to determine the severity but curious if RMS is a common problem. such low miles im kind of a little worried that could be a huge repair. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails back in the fold...-img_20160720_174926.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:15 PM
MNR

2000 E55 AMG
tried searching for rear differential gasket because it is leaking but cant find one. does this car not have a gasket? is it just rtv sealant ot something like that?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM
MNR

2000 E55 AMG
107 views and not 1 reply?!? are these views just pumped up or real, hmmm. i know these cars are old but jeez, lol.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E-55 AMG
If I new the answer, I'd have posted the first time I looked at this thread.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
The seat issue is very common for the age.

One of three issues:
1. actual air bag has a leak
2. the lines/fittings break
3. the PSE does not provide the necessary air

Mine were the actual air bags under the seat covers. They are still available for purchase.
Attached Thumbnails back in the fold...-mb-seat-left.jpg   back in the fold...-mb-seat-right.jpg   back in the fold...-mb-seats-.jpg  

Last edited by cudaized; 07-25-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM
MNR

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cudaized
The seat issue is very common for the age.

One of three issues:
1. actual air bag has a leak
2. the lines/fittings break
3. the PSE does not provide the necessary air

Mine were the actual air bags under the seat covers. They are still available for purchase.
the passenger seat pumps up just fine so should it be old fittings then?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:14 AM

My Guess is the actual bags.

I started at the PSE pump. It was working.
I have an air compressor, so I disconnected the line from the PSE going to the front seats. Low air pressure into the line. I tried both seat controls and found that both front of the seat bags were leaking. You can hear the air leak.
I simply disconnected those from the seat controls and plugged that distribution nipple. All my fittings and lines were good.
About a year later, the passenger seat leaked somewhere else.
About a year ago, the drivers seat developed a leak on the side bag. I started slow, then eventually, the PSE (on initial start up) pumped the air but the seat leaked to much. It got to the point that I needed to fix the bags, or replace them. I chose to repair them. They are vinyl with hard plastic lines and fittings. I managed to repair two of the bags and was satisfied. Bike wheel tube repair kit.
Two months ago, the drivers seat bags failed again. I think I repaired the bags well enough, but the lines and fittings were questionable.

Now I will order new bags which come with the lines.

Here is a link for the new bags: Click

Can you hear air leaking in your control or coming from the seat somewhere?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MNR
the passenger seat pumps up just fine so should it be old fittings then?

Yes.
It could be the main air line fitting under the front of the seat. Easy to see.
Attached Thumbnails back in the fold...-dsc00153-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00154-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00155-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00156-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00157-2-.jpg  

back in the fold...-dsc00158-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00159.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00162-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00164-2-.jpg   back in the fold...-dsc00165.jpg  

Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 PM
MNR

2000 E55 AMG
Yes.
It could be the main air line fitting under the front of the seat. Easy to see.
awesome ill check that out and see if it works but when i move the dials back and forth i dont hear a thing. i do hear the passenger seat a little bit though
Old 07-28-2016, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
My Guess is the actual bags.

I started at the PSE pump. It was working.
I have an air compressor, so I disconnected the line from the PSE going to the front seats. Low air pressure into the line. I tried both seat controls and found that both front of the seat bags were leaking. You can hear the air leak.
I simply disconnected those from the seat controls and plugged that distribution nipple. All my fittings and lines were good.
About a year later, the passenger seat leaked somewhere else.
About a year ago, the drivers seat developed a leak on the side bag. I started slow, then eventually, the PSE (on initial start up) pumped the air but the seat leaked to much. It got to the point that I needed to fix the bags, or replace them. I chose to repair them. They are vinyl with hard plastic lines and fittings. I managed to repair two of the bags and was satisfied. Bike wheel tube repair kit.
Two months ago, the drivers seat bags failed again. I think I repaired the bags well enough, but the lines and fittings were questionable.

Now I will order new bags which come with the lines.

Here is a link for the new bags: Click

Can you hear air leaking in your control or coming from the seat somewhere?
My PSE runs for about 20 seconds and hisses. Its my bags for sure. It sounds like an airplane cabin.

How tough a job is the seat dismantle and repair?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Dismantling the seat is easy... unbolt the seat belt, then the seat is attached by 4 external torx bolts. Unbolt those and everything comes out. Don't forget to unplug electricals.

To the OP, RMS leak is common and isn't a big deal unless it's actually leaking. Most just weep.