W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else with light color getting pitting behind front wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Anyone else with light color getting pitting behind front wheels?

Too late for me to do the xpel

Anyone else seeing this? It would seem that wax won't resolve this, I clays the area but these are numerous physical pits in the clear coat with a slight gray or black stain... From five feet away you can't see it but up close for a hand wash it's there
Old 07-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
My black 2014 E550 looked like it had been sandblasted after two years of constant driving. After many black Benz's, I swore off black cars forever after that nightmare. However, I went the full Xpel Ultimate route on my Selenite Grey Metallic E63 right after I bought it (every painted front surface plus headlights, full hood, front fenders, A pillars, full rocker panel) and I can honestly say that the peace of mind I get when I can hear grit and small rocks hitting the front of the car at speed is worth every penny (north of $2k). I already have quite a few very tiny pits in the windshield that are visible when driving into direct sunlight in the evening. They would have been in the paint as well had it not been for the paint film. Ultimately, windshields are a normal wear item like tires and brakes.

Getting back to your problem, there are numerous very good YouTube videos that go into almost excruciating detail about how to repair minor imperfections like this that occur over time. You could also go to a really high end detail shop that specializes in six-seven figure car detailing and they can probably do the work for you. BTW, it is definitely not too late for the Xpel ultimate if everything else looks good and you plan to keep the car for a while.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by BerndV
My black 2014 E550 looked like it had been sandblasted after two years of constant driving. After many black Benz's, I swore off black cars forever after that nightmare. However, I went the full Xpel Ultimate route on my Selenite Grey Metallic E63 right after I bought it (every painted front surface plus headlights, full hood, front fenders, A pillars, full rocker panel) and I can honestly say that the peace of mind I get when I can hear grit and small rocks hitting the front of the car at speed is worth every penny (north of $2k). I already have quite a few very tiny pits in the windshield that are visible when driving into direct sunlight in the evening. They would have been in the paint as well had it not been for the paint film. Ultimately, windshields are a normal wear item like tires and brakes.

Getting back to your problem, there are numerous very good YouTube videos that go into almost excruciating detail about how to repair minor imperfections like this that occur over time. You could also go to a really high end detail shop that specializes in six-seven figure car detailing and they can probably do the work for you. BTW, it is definitely not too late for the Xpel ultimate if everything else looks good and you plan to keep the car for a while.
Good info thank you
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by BerndV
After many black Benz's, I swore off black cars forever after that nightmare.
Good choice! BTW, did you xpel the exterior mirrors?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Yes
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63S Steel Grey/Beige Nappa, Lexus GX470, Honda Accord
One word of advice for Xpel Ultimate, for darker colored cars it ws recommended by my installer to use Suntek film. So I went with Suntek and am very happy. His exact words from his e-mail to me on what's the difference: I typically use the Xpel on light cars as it resists discoloring slightly better, and I use the SunTek on dark cars as it is much more forgiving and leaves less distortion in the adhesive.