GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

P2002: Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Thresho

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
P2002: Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Thresho

I can't seem to find anything on this error code on my GLK250. Anyone know what this is about? And is it something that would be covered under warranty? Love to take it in and have it fixed under warranty; if it is not covered, don't want to go.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Are you still within the 4 years/50k miles warranty period? If so it *should* be covered.

Google says that error is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) problem.

It could be simple and clear up after a forced regeneration cycle or two. Or it could require that the DPF be replaced.

What is you driving pattern like? Is it mostly short trips or higher speed highway trips? Short slow trips may not allow for full regen cycles causing more buildup in the DPF.

Please let us know how this turns out.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by slmskrs
I can't seem to find anything on this error code on my GLK250. Anyone know what this is about? And is it something that would be covered under warranty? Love to take it in and have it fixed under warranty; if it is not covered, don't want to go.

Thanks,

Gordon
Unless your amenable to being broke down along the freeway suggest your GLK be delivered to your M-B dealer's service department...soon.

The pollution control system on your BlueTech M-B is a hi-tech finicky system that if not working properly will almost certainly strand you at some point.

jeepguys advice to do a couple of forced regen. is good and may clear the fault. If it turns out your dpf is plugged be prepared for large repair bill.

Make yourself knowledgable concerning your warranty. The dpf may have a longer warranty period than the vehicle bumper to bumper one because its part of the pollution control system.

Lastly, if the dpf requires maintenance inquire about cleaning it rather than replacing it...cheaper. However, cleaning requires specialized equipment and its unlikely the dealer has this capability. What is likely is the dealer will do his best to sell you a new filter. Based on where you live there should be several firms possessing the ability to clean your filter.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 07-27-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM

The key to dpf long life is regeneration, both passive and active. When the car indicates regeneration is happening or needs to happen, make sure it does.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 07-27-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Are you still within the 4 years/50k miles warranty period? If so it *should* be covered.

Google says that error is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) problem.

It could be simple and clear up after a forced regeneration cycle or two. Or it could require that the DPF be replaced.

What is you driving pattern like? Is it mostly short trips or higher speed highway trips? Short slow trips may not allow for full regen cycles causing more buildup in the DPF.

Please let us know how this turns out.
Mainly short trips. What is a regen cycle and how long does it take? If it is somethere where 15 minutes on the freeway would do it, I can swap with her occasionally. When I pull the boat (3,500#), it is mainly freeway but obviously higher load.

Let me know on the regen cycle. I want to talk to the dealer about my uneven wearing right front brake caliper so would probably make an appointment for this code and talk with them about the caliper at the same time. But if a few freeway drives might clear it up, I'd try that first.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Oh, I'm at 36k miles and 3 years, so will take it in to the dealer. Just need to understand what the regen cycles are (passive and active) so I can make sure it is happening correctly before I take it in.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
The regeneration cycle is when more fuel is injected to heat up the catalyst to burn the soot accumulated in the DPF into ash.

The only way I could tell a regeneration cycle was running was the burnt rubber smell outside the car after getting out.

The regen cycle should just run by itself under all conditions, but in the real world if you just drive on short trips then it may never get hot enough for long enough to burn up all the soot. 20 - 30 minutes on the highway should give it a enough time to burn it to ash.

But if the DPF is already blocked up with unburned soot it may be too late and the DPF may need to be replaced.

Yes the DPF is a critical emission component of the diesel, but oddly it is not covered by the extended emissions warranty. This is especially vexing considering that it costs a few thousand dollars to replace.

As I am a victim of a prematurely failed DPF, I am interested to see how it works out for you.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM

I fear major expenditure on the horizon for slmskrs.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 250 1999 SLK 230 2002 SLK 230 R170
2013 Glk 250 dead

So I bought this car with 52,000 miles on it one month ago. One week later the CEL came on (OB11 Says 2002 DPF) so I took it to a 5 star Indy shop. They did a forced Regen, charged me 170.00 and the light was off.

2 days later, the light is back on. I call the mechanic and he says I am not driving it enough, that short trips won't kick in the Regen and that I should get it on the freeway and downshift it so that I am running 2500 RPM's for at least 15 minutes. I do that, the next start there is no CEL.

Last week the light comes back on. (My wife drives the Interstate 8 miles each way to work and back) I tell her to drive it at high RPM (2500) to work. She gets to work, gets out of the car and the key won't lock the doors. She shrugs it off. Comes out to go home and the car is dead. No lights, no bells, no nothing.

I grab some jumper cables and go to the rescue. Nothing. I find the Pos terminal and something that looks like a earth ground, high idle my Tahoe while reading the manual regarding the KeylessGo.....batteries show good in key. No sign of life from the car AT ALL.

I intend to have it towed to a Dealer in the morning if I can't figure some kind of work around. I love this car, but if it doesn't run past 52k ...well...WTF.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 250 1999 SLK 230 2002 SLK 230 R170
The Battery was fairly simple to replace, no synch issues at all. I got an AGM battery from Batteries Plus, about 225. Dealer replacement was a bit cheaper, but I like this battery better.

Scheduled to go in tomorrow to find out the cause of the 2002 code....knowing it is the DPF I want to find out what caused the DPF to only last 52k, when supposedly designed for 250,000...not going to replace it until they can tell me why it failed so soon
Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK 250
So ive done quite a bit of forum searching to help me find a solution. Before i continue let me give you my situation to help those who had my problem.
I should probably start with saying this, one of the forums stated that he had used Shell diesel. Ive never had problems with shell but out here in North Carolina, my wife has issues with it ( saying the gas lid was off in her car). But for this entire month i used shell diesel because it was closest to me. After draining two fuel ups with shell then refueling with it again, i headed on my trip. While driving in a 4 hour drive, on the 2nd hour my CEL came on. Stopped at an autozone, p2002 popped up. I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF filled it up and went on my way. An hour later did some research and found Lucas Diesel Deep Clean, it helps with clogged DPF and eliminate most of the soot in the DPF. .

Quick side note, if you guys dont remember Shell had some kind of fault with their gas quality causing dirt or some debris to get into your engine, causing break downs.

continuing on...
Now that i filled up with BP and used Lucas Diesel deep clean, the CEL came off at 406 miles after it came on.

Heres a link to the lucas stuff for the sake of convenience
Amazon Amazon
If anyone wants me to update my status down the road, send me a message to remember.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 C320
I'm interested in knowing the long term success.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK 250
So I used the product for 2 fill ups. Took about a month to drain both fill ups. The code disappeared until my long drive last week. Now it has a dtc as p24c6 . Not sure which sensor it is in the dpf, i think there is 2. Im going to try to open up the car and see where its located and maybe take out the sensor and try to do some cleaning. Ive seen some cans of ebay where you stick in a plastic hose and spray the can in it. I know liquimoly has a kit, but i moved to an apartment so.... i dont have a set up for a air compressor and such.

does anyone know if the us will extend emissions warranty like canada?