C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Foliatec vs Plasti Dip (Spray Paint Rims)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Foliatec vs Plasti Dip (Spray Paint Rims)

Hi,
I would like to know whether anyone tried Plasti Dip to spray paint (rubberised and removable) the rims and can compare it to Foliatec. I'm looking to purchase it as soon as possible because I have a friend currently abroad and would be much cheaper to buy it from there. Two cans of Foliatec are for 50 pounds while one can of Plasti Dip is for 11 pounds so I want to know if the results are the same or Foliatec is better (to justify the price). Thank you in advance! (btw, I couldn't find any forums or info about this online!)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
I can't help with a comparison, since I haven't used Foliatec, but I can say that a set of winter wheels that I Plasti-dipped have now been through 3 winters and they still look good. Our winter season lasts about 4 months and they use a lot of salt on the roads so they've been through 12 months of snow, slush and salt. I think if they can take that they can take the Dubai heat

I'm not sure what would justify paying over 2x the price based on my experience.
The following users liked this post:
c200amgline (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM

2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I was about to make the purchase for Foliatec but thanks to your response, I will now go on to buy Plasti Dip. A foiling company (same one I foiled some parts of my car) quoted me $55 to plasti-dip one wheel. I'm not a DIY guy but this seems like a very easy job so I'll do it myself.

Haha absolutely right! It's scorching hot here for 3-4 months and weather is bearable for the rest so I hope they last for at least 2 years.

Thanks once again!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 PM

There are tons of how-to videos on YouTube. Just make sure you prep the wheels properly, use the right spray technique and sufficient thickness of material and you should be fine.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
plastidip is awful. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than badges.

The only proper way to do it is professionally, but at that rate the cost is too much to justify it. IMO.

Also, the money you have to spend on products to keep plastidip looking nice is ridiculous.

I've got mad respect for Fonzie at DYC, he actually started out in the B8 S4 forums doing his entire car by hand on Audizine. That is also where I come from - so Ive basically followed his success from the beginning.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by alexasa
plastidip is awful. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than badges.

The only proper way to do it is professionally, but at that rate the cost is too much to justify it. IMO.

Also, the money you have to spend on products to keep plastidip looking nice is ridiculous.
I am only speaking from my own personal experience. I haven't done anything special to the wheels for 3 winters and they still look good. That's all I'm saying. I'm not necessarily recommending it. The OP should get some more info. before making a decision, not go by my one experience.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by flagman
I am only speaking from my own personal experience. I haven't done anything special to the wheels for 3 winters and they still look good. That's all I'm saying. I'm not necessarily recommending it. The OP should get some more info. before making a decision, not go by my one experience.

I get that.

But if you actually drive a car hard with plasidipped wheels, the brake dust gets baked into the rubberized finish. It can be removed, but it requires all these over priced specialty products that end up making more sense just to get the wheels powdercoated, etc.

IMO

I have dipped wheels a dozen times, but I won't ever touch the stuff again.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM

2015 C200, Petrol RWD
Thing is I do not want a permanent change so that when I sell the car or I want to revert back to the old look, I won't have to worry. I already bought the stuff and I am planning to plasti-dip as soon as I'm back from holiday. I drive around 20K kilometres every year so not so much driving, and I clean it once a week. I will make sure to thoroughly clean the wheels this time to make sure no brake dust remains and I bought 3M wheel & tire cleaner so hopefully it works well on the plasti-dipped wheels. Thanks for your opinion nevertheless! Much appreciated.

@flagman: I saw Fonzie's DYC video before @alexasa mentioned him and he's the best I've seen on youtube. Read some guides already, watched a couple of videos... think I'm good to go!