CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do I fix windscreen wipers not wiping uniformly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
How do I fix windscreen wipers not wiping uniformly?

We have annual car inspections here and I failed due to needing a new windscreen for a tiny stone chip and the wiper on the passenger side doesn't wipe evenly. According to the rules they are both safety items so they have to be fixed.

The dealer can't get a replacement spring for the wiper arm. I am using newish oem blades. The spring comes with the complete wiper arm but I am having trouble finding one online. Anyone know what I should be searching for or any other tips?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Before we get to how to fix the issue, let's talk about what causes the issue:
* Old and worn out blades
* Using generic blades (in my experience, just my opinion)
* Bending the wiper arm when lifting them up. NEVER lift the wiper arm from the end (the weakest side of the arm because its the side that gets adjusted, more on that in a minute), get as close to the motor side as possible (the strongest part of the arm) and lift from there. If your streaking is prominent at the middle, the center of your wiper blade is not making contact (You can visually confirm this).

There are a few things you can do to fix this issue:
* Get new Mercedes wiper blades - I've used Bosch blades (OEM supplier to Mercedes) and for some reason they do not work as good as the Mercedes blades even though it's from the same manufacturer
* Bend/adjust the wiper arm yourself - Below is a link to a thread explaining how to do it. This is the method I do now since I have lots of experience.
* Have the Stealership bend/adjust the wiper arm - This is the most difficult and expensive method because they will try to screw you over. The link below also explains how to do this, but I will go into detail how to prepare for this scenario.
** Go to the link below and print all the files I uploaded.
** Buy new Mercedes wiper blades online, but don't open the box at all, preserve the tamper seals.
** Buy a generic spray bottle (like a windex bottle) and fill it with water.
** Take the paperwork, new blades and the water sprayer to the Stealership with you.
* When you talk to the service advisor, tell them that you want to have your wiper arm adjusted the way the service bulletin instructed. There is no money in it for the Stealership, so they will say you need new blades.
** You'll mention that you have newish blades, but the Stealer will say that is your problem and they will insist that you have them replace them. At that point, bring out you new in box Mercedes wiper blades, ask your service adviser follow you to your car, install them (takes about a minute, practice with your current blades ahead of time) then spray your windshield with water. Use the wipers and show the adviser that the problem is still present. Insist again that you want the wiper blades adjusted.
** From here they will take in your car and then they will call you back and say the foreman/tech said you need a new wiper motor (they don't sell just the arm, it comes as a unit with the motor; $400+ parts/labor). You tell them that the installation of a new wiper arm/unit requires the very same adjustment procedure that you are asking them to do. Refuse the new parts and insist that they do the adjustment only.
** If they refuse to do it you will need to talk to the Stealership's GM and let them know that this service and run around is unacceptable; that you will file a complaint with Mercedes USA against them if they will not comply.
** A this point they will either perform the adjustment or refuse to do it. If they refuse, call MB USA and file a complaint. MB USA will contact the Stealership and the Stealership will contact you back to ask you to come in for the adjustment.
** Optional - When you go back, insist that the service be complimentary since you had to go through all the lies and had to contact MB USA to force them to do the right thing. Go all the way up to the GM if you have to.

Here is the link to the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-cleaning.html

You can see why I adjust them myself now, but good luck and please come back to tell us what you did.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
He's in New Zealand.....don't think MB USA will be able to help much!!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL 450, 2004 CLK 500
Just installed new blades on mine. There is for sure a left and right blade. When I first installed them the drivers side left a spot in the center of the windshield that the blade never touched. Its the reason I got new ones. Swapped sides and its perfect.

Mike
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thank you for the awesome response. It is a 3-4" thick ark across the passenger side where the wiper sits 1-3mm off the windscreen when wipers are off. It is the middle of the blade which doesn't touch. They are oem Mercedes blades from the dealer. I might try and bend them myself this weekend. I have definitely raised the wipers from the far end which may have caused it.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
There is a recall on the issue from MB. the dealers should know about this and should have the tools to remedy it. Personally the dealer here gave me an idiotic "huhh???" when i showed him pictures of the tool. So i cut a piece of the stopper on the inside of the wiper arm so it would sit lower. Didn't feel i should bend the arm.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan SPort
for old windshields- clean with a razor blade
Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by tw2
We have annual car inspections here and I failed due to needing a new windscreen for a tiny stone chip and the wiper on the passenger side doesn't wipe evenly. According to the rules they are both safety items so they have to be fixed.

The dealer can't get a replacement spring for the wiper arm. I am using newish oem blades. The spring comes with the complete wiper arm but I am having trouble finding one online. Anyone know what I should be searching for or any other tips?
How big is the windshield chip? Can you please provide a pic. I honestly think that's a bit way to much for replacing an entire windshield over a stone ship unless it's a crack across the shield.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The chip is about a 2mm crater. Insurance is paying and it is a genuine windscreen so I will just go with it. It is in an annoying spot and there is another chip that has been filled which is still visible.

I bent the wiper arm it was pretty easy. It is much better now, there is still an unwiped area but it is 1/4 of what it was.