E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300e
Headlight problems

I have an issue where-in the right side (from the drivers POV) low beam headlight does not work. The connector was burned/melted so I replaced it and still no luck.
Checking the terminals I get just about 12 volts so I would think power isn't the problem unless there is a current limiting situation going on caused by something else. Not the bulb, tried several. Used another connector like I installed and if I jump it to the terminals on the connector I just installed I get the same result. If I jump it to the battery it works fine, hence my thoughts on the current limiting situation.
The highbeam is fine. Just the lowbeam. It seems that there is an integral harness within the headlamp housing itself as there is another plug just for the housing. Albeit these things are not cheap so I was wondering if I could get some diagnostic help here with out throwing money at it with no results.

TIA for your help.
BenzB12
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Hi Benz .I have the inside for one of these headlights in my hand with all the parts out of it . What is it thats burnt .Can you post picture.Just an idea, how about if you take the light from out of the other side and conect it up .This will tell you if its something other than the parts inside . These do have a relay they run through ,this may be damaged due to the short.