European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
Advice

Hey guys and gals, my wife and I are interested in ED and have a few questions. I've tried to do some research, but need advice

We would be doing ED in January, as we need the car in March. I've done research and it shows that it should be around 30-40'degrees at that time.
1. Are there things to do in the winter? (We don't ski) does Europe look depressing in the winter?

We were thinking of driving to Italy.
2a. How grueling would the trip through the alps be in the winter? I've considered taking the motor train, however, the lowest it goes from Germany to Italy is to Verona - does anyone have any experience with motor trains in Europe? (Their websites are not that friendly)
2b. The packages that are available through Mercedes - is the price only for the hotel and if so - is that per person?

As for the car itself - we want to lease a GLC coupe which is not out yet.
3a. Do I order it once the prices in the US are released?
3b. I understand that the lease rate is determined at the month of delivery, however, when does the lease start? When the car gets delivered?
3c. What if they try to skew the lease numbers and they don't make sense - what do I do then? (For a regular transaction they told me that if I don't like the numbers when the special ordered car gets to their dealership, I can turn it down and they will sell it to someone else)

My local dealer tried to give me the allocation line - that they have a certain amount of cars with packages - I've read that this is bs. I would like to use them as a point of purchase (although if they don't give me the best price I'm willing to go elsewhere).

4. Is there a place where I can show them that they can order whatever car I want?

And lastly, I saw that there is a guy in CA (Herbert Hemmer) Who is very knowledgeable about ED.
5a. Has anyone used him on the east coast?
5b. I've read that any dealer can order it and any dealer can accept the car - if that's the case and he gives the best deal, are there any downsides going through him?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Last edited by zhenyaf; 08-25-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i
Originally Posted by zhenyaf
Hey guys and gals, my wife and I are interested in ED and have a few questions. I've tried to do some research, but need advice

We would be doing ED in January, as we need the car in March. I've done research and it shows that it should be around 30-40'degrees at that time.
1. Are there things to do in the winter? (We don't ski) does Europe look depressing in the winter?

We were thinking of driving to Italy.
2a. How grueling would the trip through the alps be in the winter? I've considered taking the motor train, however, the lowest it goes from Germany to Italy is to Verona - does anyone have any experience with motor trains in Europe? (Their websites are not that friendly)
2b. The packages that are available through Mercedes - is the price only for the hotel and if so - is that per person?

As for the car itself - we want to lease a GLC coupe which is not out yet.
3a. Do I order it once the prices in the US are released?
3b. I understand that the lease rate is determined at the month of delivery, however, when does the lease start? When the car gets delivered?
3c. What if they try to skew the lease numbers and they don't make sense - what do I do then? (For a regular transaction they told me that if I don't like the numbers when the special ordered car gets to their dealership, I can turn it down and they will sell it to someone else)

My local dealer tried to give me the allocation line - that they have a certain amount of cars with packages - I've read that this is bs. I would like to use them as a point of purchase (although if they don't give me the best price I'm willing to go elsewhere).

4. Is there a place where I can show them that they can order whatever car I want?

And lastly, I saw that there is a guy in CA (Herbert Hemmer) Who is very knowledgeable about ED.
5a. Has anyone used him on the east coast?
5b. I've read that any dealer can order it and any dealer can accept the car - if that's the case and he gives the best deal, are there any downsides going through him?

Thanks everyone in advance.
I do not think you can do your trip (specially trip to Italy -forget it) with out winter tires. BMW offer this service, not sure about Audi and Mercedes.
You can only orders car made for US specs.
It will be easy for you just to call Herbert Hemmer and ask him all your question.
- I see you already done this - good for you.
I do not know answers for almost all of them.

Last edited by Gary From LA; 08-30-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM

2017 GLC Coupe
Herbert is awesome.

So far he answered all my questions and we have a pending order waiting for order banks to open.

The only thing him and I have not discussed is #1 - but he was in the travel industry before, so he knows A LOT
Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM

BMW 330i
Herbert is awesome.

So far he answered all my questions and we have a pending order waiting for order banks to open.

The only thing him and I have not discussed is #1 - but he was in the travel industry before, so he knows A LOT
Did you ask about winter tires? By German laws you can not drive car during winter on summer tires.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:53 PM

2017 GLC Coupe
Originally Posted by Gary From LA
Did you ask about winter tires? By German laws you can not drive car during winter on summer tires.
The GLC should come with All Season tires which are accepted
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 PM

BMW 330i
The GLC should come with All Season tires which are accepted
Женя, это ты?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:34 PM

2017 GLC Coupe
Женя, это ты?
да, Женя это я
Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C43 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S, 2017 Mazda 3 HB
I do not think you can do your trip (specially trip to Italy -forget it) with out winter tires. BMW offer this service, not sure about Audi and Mercedes.
You can only orders car made for US specs.
- I see you already done this - good for you.
I do not know answers for almost all of them.
I am picking up my car in December and after speaking to one of their Euro reps, the Mercedes factory will be swapping my tires out free of charge for the trip.

I do do need to replace the tires before delivery to the US, which is being handled by the UPC
Old 10-26-2016, 02:49 PM

2017 GLC Coupe
Originally Posted by kowyzg0moo
I am picking up my car in December and after speaking to one of their Euro reps, the Mercedes factory will be swapping my tires out free of charge for the trip.

I do do need to replace the tires before delivery to the US, which is being handled by the UPC
from what I've seen - all weather tires are acceptable and that's what the GLC comes with