2010 GL450 Airmatic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL450
2010 GL450 Airmatic problem

Hi,

I am a newbie here but have been reading this forum for a few years now.

I have a 2010 GL450 with about 80k on it. I recently replaced the front left air shock because that corner was hanging low and when I checked it out I found a big hole in the air bag. I bought a replacement from Arnot and the installation went pretty smooth.

I drove it for about a week with no problems but now the "malfuntion" message comes up for the airmatic. If I start the car and immediately raise and lower the car it will sometime not throw the code, other times it will. At startup I hear the compressor running although I dont see much movement of either end and then it times out after 30 seconds or so and throws the code. I have checked for a leak on the new airbag and the connector and everything seems fine there.

The car seems to be sitting level and good, sometimes the suspension will feel "mushy" when driving it with the "malfuntion" code and other times it feels fine.

I have read that the compressor can fail after a hole in one of the airbags because it has to run excessively to try and maintain pressure. However, it seems to be running OK until the system times out - almost like it turns off because it cannot maintain whatever pressure it is supposed to run at.

I tried to read the OBDII (with a generic scanner) and there is no code being sent, it resets everytime the ignition is turned off.

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting tips? I hate to buy a compressor to find out it is something else.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
We get this type of question all the time---there is no simple one answer fits except one--find someone with factory software who can quickly diagnose the problem and then if you are skilled you fix the problem---all else is mumbo jumbo and expensive guesswork on a very complicated system!!
The following users liked this post:
Moncitylivin (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
GL550
I agree with Plutoe.

But I will also suggest that if one front air spring was bad, the other one is certainly on it's last leg. Most people only get around 60k/mi, so you got more usage than most.
The following users liked this post:
Moncitylivin (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:31 PM

2010 GL450
Originally Posted by Plutoe
We get this type of question all the time---there is no simple one answer fits except one--find someone with factory software who can quickly diagnose the problem and then if you are skilled you fix the problem---all else is mumbo jumbo and expensive guesswork on a very complicated system!!
Is there an MB scanner or software that can be purchased at a reasonable cost (similar to the VAG-COM software I run on my wifes Audi TT? My OBDII scanner shows no codes but I guess it would show using the correct software.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
well, it could be many things, but in your particular scenario it is the compressor.

the hole in the old shock wore out the compressor and now you most likely need a new one.

if you press the "raise" button and for a while nothing happens (make sure all doors are closed) and eventually you get a malfunction message- it is your compressor.

good luck.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM

2010 GL450
Thanks Alx, this is the scenario that I was envisioning (the stress of continual running wore out the compressor). The strange thing it seems to be able to maintain the ride height even though the "malfunction" code comes up after a minute or so of engine start. I am assuming that the pressure or output volume of the compressor is below nominal and that is what is causing the error.

Do you know if the compressor is repairable (I work in an industrial valve/flow meter repair shop) or is it a sealed "disposable" unit.

Any suggestions on a good supplier?

Thanks again and regards, Rich

Originally Posted by alx
well, it could be many things, but in your particular scenario it is the compressor.

the hole in the old shock wore out the compressor and now you most likely need a new one.

if you press the "raise" button and for a while nothing happens (make sure all doors are closed) and eventually you get a malfunction message- it is your compressor.

good luck.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:25 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
they are not repairable. you have developed one of two issues - either the piston ring is worn out and the compressor is slow to build up pressure (if any) or you have a crack in the high pressure reservoir. in your scenario it is most likely the piston ring.

they are generally not worth the hassle to repair.

any supplier will suffice as they are either oem or arnott.

compressors are about $350-600 and about an hour to exchange.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

2010 GL450
Understood, thank you Alx.

Originally Posted by alx
they are not repairable. you have developed one of two issues - either the piston ring is worn out and the compressor is slow to build up pressure (if any) or you have a crack in the high pressure reservoir. in your scenario it is most likely the piston ring.

they are generally not worth the hassle to repair.

any supplier will suffice as they are either oem or arnott.

compressors are about $350-600 and about an hour to exchange.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 PM

2010 GL450
still getting the fault

So I changed the compressor and I am still low on the corner that I replaced the shredded air bag on and still getting the fault code.

This weekend I bubble checked for leaks on the lines and manifold and new compressor and then removed the new air bag and strut, I made a test fixture and inflated the bag and pressure checked it finding no leaks.

I see some places recommend replacing in pairs and I am wondering if they are different heights because one is original OEM and one is new Arnott?

That being said - when I "raise" the suspension it takes a long time to go back down so maybe it is the manifold?? Or perhaps the height gauge. I cannot think of any other way of troubleshooting/isolating the problem

I am at a loss for what it could be but hate to take to MB for a code reading..... Is there any kind of laptop software like I have for my Audi (VAG COM) to read the codes or do you have to buy a MB code reader?

Thanks all...
Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 AM
NRR

ML 350 4matic (Petrol), MUL Esteem LXi, Prior: FIAT 1100D, Studebaker Champion
Hi Moncitylivin,
There are several components in the Aromatic system: They are (1) Struts (shocks n airbags), (2) Valve body (distributes the pressured air to the struts, (3) air reservoir (stores pressured air and releases when valve body requires air to distribute), (4) compressor (pulls atmospheric air and pressurizes the air), (5) Relay (tells the compressor when to switch on/off), (6) height sensors (mounted at each corner of the vehicle to measure the height) and (7) fuse to stop damage to aromatic components if there is a malfunction (basically blows when more than the rated amperage current is drawn.

My guess in your case would be the valve body is not functioning properly. The best way is to use a good scanner and check the height at each wheel and also take the pressure readings from the scanner. Since your pump and struts are new - this would be the logical solution.

I recently did my aromatic system and am a new member of the forum with a recently purchased ML 350 - I'm only trying to help - there are more experienced people who can also give you support.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:16 AM
NRR

ML 350 4matic (Petrol), MUL Esteem LXi, Prior: FIAT 1100D, Studebaker Champion
Typo in my earlier message - kindly read as Airmatic ( the spell check system is pushing aromatic) Ha Ha.

I would also add component No. (8) Filter - this cleans the atmospheric air being supplied to the compressor (the filter is located in the Right wheel housing).
Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 AM

2010 GL450
Originally Posted by NRR
Typo in my earlier message - kindly read as Airmatic ( the spell check system is pushing aromatic) Ha Ha.

I would also add component No. (8) Filter - this cleans the atmospheric air being supplied to the compressor (the filter is located in the Right wheel housing).

Thanks NRR - I appreciate the advice. Checking on the solenoid manifold now.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
Got my first airmatic malfunction message today. No leaks and I can hear the pump run when I switch the raise car button. Checked car height after a few hours and the height appears to be level and normal.

How long does the airmatic raising vehicle take? My button light kept flashing for about 30 seconds and then get a "Compressor Cooling Down" message. Bad compressor?

Edit: Seem to have found my answer here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-airmatic.html

Last edited by chsu74; 09-30-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI
Ebay
Pump and relay $135
Working super good, make sure you change the air filter for the pump and the house has no cracks.

Good luck