E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Successful replacement of stock radio with Android system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Successful replacement of stock radio with Android system.

I want to thank all the members on this forum without whose help I would not have been able to replace the factory radio with this fancy Android system.

I have overcome several obstacles, which I will list here:
  • Using the existing fiber optic cables to keep using the existing amplifier.
  • Disabling the CD changer and GPS navigation system.
  • Disabling the annoying "SOS TeleAid" message that comes up when you mess with the optical fiber loop and start removing devices from the loop.
  • Eliminating the tweeters from the audio system with this setup. This was required with my setup to get excellent audio performance.
  • Wiring the backup camera.

I'm very happy with the end result. Note that this setup is a variation on the typical setup which requires installing a new audio amplifier and discarding the current amplifier. While the latter would probably give better (louder) audio performance, I wanted to preserve the optical fiber loop for sending audio to assure noise free performance.

I should also note that I purchased a DAS tool to complete the installation. It allowed me to understand the intricacies of my machine and to erase the aforementioned error messages. I'm planning on using this tool, among other things, to fix some issues with the Keyless go system and to turn off the bloody seat belt chime.

Let me know if you need assistance with any of the items that I have listed above.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM

'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
MOST Excellent!

I very much like that you've used the MOST loop and kept the stock amp. I would do the same. I'm reluctant to upgrade for one reason though... I use Sirius XM a lot and would miss it. Can XM Satellite radio be added to that head unit?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Honcho, the radio can get the Android Sirius app and you would get the same stations as the Satellite Radio but through your phone's internet instead. The quality of the online stream is much better than the satellite connection, but it would eat up some of your data plan.

fparrish14,
Thank you for this report. I will be going down this same road soon. I've got three questions for now:
1. Why did you have to remove signal to the tweeters? Can you explain the problem and the tradeoffs?
2. Were you able to preserve audio through the center speaker on dash?
3. Can you take a picture of the stereo at night? I'd like to see how the backlit buttons match with the rest of the lights in the dash. This is extremely important to me and I haven't been able to find an answer. I understand you can change the color, but can you change it to the degree of matching the interior lighting perfectly?

Thank you very much,
Daniel
Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM

2005 E55 AMG
danielgetsthis

I disconnected the front tweeter on the dash and the two rear tweeters on either side of the subwoofer because of the bass distortion I was getting. So, I am basically only running four speakers and a subwoofer now. I am most happy with the noise free performance I am getting, having to deal with engine noise feedback and such in my previous audio installations. The system is plenty loud and the bass is clean and tight.

With my setup, you also lose the ability to fade the front and rear speakers. You can only fade left and right. It was not a big deal for me. It may be for you. Consider it before you decide on this setup.

I will post pics of the nighttime illumination later this evening. I don't know if you can change the color of the buttons. I know that there is a "night" mode.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 Sport
I need to do this on mine.. was there a sticky for this?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Pinoi Ryder,

I started with this link...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-pics-txt.html

It will tell you what parts to order. Note that the link describes the setup whereby you replace the stock amp with a new amp, and you bypass the fiber optic loop.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by danielgetsthis
Honcho, the radio can get the Android Sirius app and you would get the same stations as the Satellite Radio but through your phone's internet instead. The quality of the online stream is much better than the satellite connection, but it would eat up some of your data plan.

[snip]
Daniel

Streaming XM radio is not an option I'll settle for. There has to be a way to incorporate an XM tuner with one of these head units. I've been looking forever to find a head unit that has one incorporated. I know Pioneer has an "XM Ready" head unit. All new cars come with XM radio, so it's very frustrating that so few aftermarket systems are available.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:27 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Honcho,

There are many double-din radios with Sirius XM. Here is one that I considered:
Jensen VX7022 Navigation touch-screen and Sirius XM SXV300V1 Tuner with backup camera.

You would then need to buy an adapter plate to fit the exact opening for the W211.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks, but I've already seen all the 2xdin units.... there has to be a way to hook up an XM tuner to the much nicer Android units. I can wait.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Honcho
Thanks, but I've already seen all the 2xdin units.... there has to be a way to hook up an XM tuner to the much nicer Android units. I can wait.
You're right, waiting is your best option. These units will get better.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by fparrish14
I disconnected the front tweeter on the dash and the two rear tweeters on either side of the subwoofer because of the bass distortion I was getting.
Curious, did you try using inline crossovers to block the bass/midrange from the tweeters?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:52 AM

2005 E55 AMG

danielgetsthis,

No, I did not try the inline crossovers to block the low end frequencies.

Here are two pics of the unit. It turns out the lighting of the buttons matches exactly that of the rest of the instrumentation in the car!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fparrish14
I have overcome several obstacles, which I will list here:
  • Using the existing fiber optic cables to keep using the existing amplifier.
  • Disabling the CD changer and GPS navigation system.
  • Disabling the annoying "SOS TeleAid" message that comes up when you mess with the optical fiber loop and start removing devices from the loop.
  • Eliminating the tweeters from the audio system with this setup. This was required with my setup to get excellent audio performance.
  • Wiring the backup camera.

I'm very happy with the end result. Note that this setup is a variation on the typical setup which requires installing a new audio amplifier and discarding the current amplifier. While the latter would probably give better (louder) audio performance, I wanted to preserve the optical fiber loop for sending audio to assure noise free performance.

I should also note that I purchased a DAS tool to complete the installation. It allowed me to understand the intricacies of my machine and to erase the aforementioned error messages. I'm planning on using this tool, among other things, to fix some issues with the Keyless go system and to turn off the bloody seat belt chime.

Let me know if you need assistance with any of the items that I have listed above.
What did you do to eliminate the Teleaid SOS error? I ordered all the parts to do my conversion soon and am just planning out what I need to do. As for the engine noise and interference, Rossafuss suggested using one of these in another thread:

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-AUDIO-B1...sert-amazon-20
Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 AM

Sorry, just reread your post and saw that you bought a DAS tool to delete the code. I have a OBD II USB interface running ScanXL Professional. (https://www.scantool.net/software/scanxl-professional/). You think that's sufficient?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:51 AM

2005 E55 AMG
MooflesThaCat,

Ah yes, the perennial noise filter! I have found it to be a hit-or-miss proposition. I have never been able to eliminate ground loop noise in a car. After pooh-poohing the optical fiber loop in my car, I have found it to be quite nice for transmitting noise free audio.

To eliminate the SOS TeleAid error message, you will need a DAS tool and the software to run it, Xentry; I am using a Dell D430 laptop with Windows XP. This tool is the ultimate weapon for the DIY MB owners. The tool and the software set me back $400. Hopefully, you can find another MB owner with such a tool that you could hook up to; If you live in Southern Cal, I will be happy to help you out. BE CAREFUL: Leaving the SOS message on your dash may drain your battery overnight as the system tries to "call home". It happened to me once!

On another note, I kept getting the error message even though the TeleAid module had been completely removed from the system! As a result, my local mechanic kept telling me that eliminating the error message could not be done. I persisted and found out, with the help of the folks on this forum, that that there are several places in the software where the message has be disabled!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:54 AM

2005 E55 AMG
MooflesThaCat,

I have read from several members on this forum that the ONLY way to eleminate the TeleAid error messages is with the DAS tool.
The following users liked this post:
MooflesThaCat (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM

I have a really sweet SDS setup that I used to set the TeleAid to "Not Present" (for another reason)

Are you saying there is more than one place to look for that?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:38 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Honcho,

Here are the several places where you have to disable the TeleAid.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-tele-aid.html
Honcho (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Did you get the Teleaid error because you removed the module, or simply for taking out the COMMAND unit? I'll probably end up getting a DAS, but in the mean time I'd like to avoid the message entirely if possible. I planned on removing the COMMAND, CD Changer and DVD Nav unit from the MOST loop, but would use a MOST interface for audio.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM

2005 E55 AMG
MooflesThaCat,

I left the CD changer alone. I believe that I could have removed it altogether, but only after shorting its fiber optic connection.

I disconnected the GPS DVD nav unit and its antenna connection. That's when the error message started popping up, even after shorting its fiber optic connection. I had to do the disconnect so that I could use the built-in GPS antenna for my new system.
MooflesThaCat (08-31-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 AM

Anyone have this:

https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...on-system.html

Looks really well engineered and possible to get the XM
Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Honcho,

FYI, the Avin unit is twice what I paid for my unit. Also, if you get the adapter to keep the factory amp, that's another $250.