Sponsored by:

MB Star Xentry Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 Sprinter 03 C230
MB Star Xentry Questions

Hi All, I am not sure if this is the right forum for MB Star questions, but since "the big MB star thread" is in here, I figured I would give it a go.

I am about to pull the trigger on an MB Star C4 with laptop and wanted to get some clarification on a few things. I tried searching here, the net and a few sellers blogs, but could not find answers.

- What is SAM
- What is SCN
- When do I need/want online or offline programming?

I have a sprinter and a C230 and the things I would like to do are:
- diagnose and read/clear codes on all the computers
- simple resets (like steering angle sensor, adaptive transmission, calibrate rain sensor, etc.)

Would I need online/offline programming to do these things, or is it more for "hacking" the car and making custom tunes, etc.

Lastly - where can I find a Xentry user manual? Internet has not been much help here.

thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If what you state is the truth,then you don't need a DAS Xentry C4 set. You can spend fifty bucks on and OBD scanner and meet and exceed your stated objectives!!

Additionally,if you don't understand the definitions in your "What questions", then you are not ready for a factory tool.

A Xentry user manual does not exist, the knowledge and the skill to use and interpret the tools outputs comes from OJT experience and in depth knowledge of the MB vehicle mechanical and electrical systems.

I would suggest you use the money to take the family out to dinner and or visit Disney World you will receive much more value from that investment!!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM

06 Sprinter 03 C230
At least please do me the favor, before dismissing my questions, please read my post.

I said:
- simple resets (like steering angle sensor, adaptive transmission, calibrate rain sensor, etc.)

OBD scanners cannot do this. Even consumer OBD scanners specific for MB (like iCarSoft and Autel) cannot read all systems. They also cannot perform resets like I listed above.

So I am left with MB Star.

I have have done my research, and realize its just another computer program. I doubt I would have much issue using it. However, there is some terminology that I need clarification on.

So... how is someone suppose to LEARN, and get ready to use a factory tool - without asking questions?

I am sure you did the same when you learned how to use the tool.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
This is the W211 thread, though like others it has a search feature.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I've never needed to use the "ignore" feature on any of the forums I'm a member of, but if ever a member deserved to be on the list, Plutoe is it. His holier-than-though attitude, sarcastic "you're dumb" demeanor towards fellow members, and utterly unhelpful snarkiness makes him one of the least useful trolls on the interwebs. He may (or not) have a clue about these cars, but he surely holds himself in such high regard that he deems it unfit to share the knowledge he may (or may not) have.
So:
Plutoe:
Why are you such a douchebag?

To the OP: There's a thread at the top of this very sub-forum that may be of help to you:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-o-pics.html
The following 4 users liked this post by rapidoxidation:
amgggg... (02-02-2020), JerryFritz (08-30-2016), ladetroit (07-02-2021), SuperChargerE55 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:34 PM

06 Sprinter 03 C230
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
I've never needed to use the "ignore" feature on any of the forums I'm a member of, but if ever a member deserved to be on the list, Plutoe is it. His holier-than-though attitude, sarcastic "you're dumb" demeanor towards fellow members, and utterly unhelpful snarkiness makes him one of the least useful trolls on the interwebs. He may (or not) have a clue about these cars, but he surely holds himself in such high regard that he deems it unfit to share the knowledge he may (or may not) have.
So:
Plutoe:
Why are you such a douchebag?

To the OP: There's a thread at the top of this very sub-forum that may be of help to you:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ts-o-pics.html
OK, thanks for the insight. I will do a mental "ignore" of Plutoe, from now on.

Also thanks for the link. I read through a lot of it, but will dig right into it, before asking questions.

Last edited by JerryFritz; 08-30-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by JerryFritz
OK, thanks for the insight. I will do a mental "ignore" of Plutoe, from now on.
Not to be rude or anything but a guy with his experience I would not dismiss.

I would use the search feature a bit. Look over the results then if questions persist post something up. Everyone loves to dig in around here.

DAS / STAR / SDS / Xentry / will all yield good search results as they are synonyms for the same thing
Old 08-30-2016, 11:48 PM

06 Sprinter 03 C230
Originally Posted by BoostedAero
Not to be rude or anything but a guy with his experience I would not dismiss.

I would use the search feature a bit. Look over the results then if questions persist post something up. Everyone loves to dig in around here.

DAS / STAR / SDS / Xentry / will all yield good search results as they are synonyms for the same thing
I am happy to dismiss even Einstein if he is rude and does not offer any value. No amount of experience can justify my giving respect to anyone unless the deserve it.

As for the search feature, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I have used it extensively. I did not find the answers I was looking for, that is why I asked on the forum. Also, as I have said, rapidoxidation, kindly provided me with a link to investigate, so I am happily searching through it.

Seems like I am pissing a couple of people off here, so please ignore my questions and responses, and I will too.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM

2004 E55
I am happy to dismiss even Einstein if he is rude and does not offer any value. No amount of experience can justify my giving respect to anyone unless the deserve it.

As for the search feature, as I have mentioned a couple of times, I have used it extensively. I did not find the answers I was looking for, that is why I asked on the forum. Also, as I have said, rapidoxidation, kindly provided me with a link to investigate, so I am happily searching through it.

Seems like I am pissing a couple of people off here, so please ignore my questions and responses, and I will too.

We are all here for the love of these cars and help with the complexity that ensues while diagnosing them.

You certainly didn't **** me off I am a freegin a$$ to most people and don't even know it...

My first post I told some senior member he was wrong and didn't know jack diddly though he was right, not a great way to get virtually introduced lol. (Sorry Rocman!)

Re: SCN- scn coding is done via communication between star and the MB servers where a key exchange occurs, and the newly coded device is authorized and correctly keyed via direct log in by a dealer.
SAM - Signal Actuation Modulator? Basically major electrical/communication junction in the vehicle.
eg.driver side SAM, rear SAM, passenger SAM etc

IMHO I always program offline,mine is a Chinese knockoff. Who knows what hidden running malware some 12 year old Chinese hacker plopped in there to snoop other devices on your wifi. Safety First Always!
-off line programming you have been reading about in the how to section sticky. Lowering, coding modules for lower fan temps ROW coding for perks etc

So here is how I run DAS...the short and dirty: find and address glaring faults quickly.

Just go into Xentry and choose your vehicle class passenger cars then into c class. DAS will communicate through the multiplexor to the vehicle. When the next screen pops up run quick test.

From the results of quick test you can go into each of the modules and test/clear module specific fault codes. As you have stated with star

Just highlight any section that does not have a check mark. Press enter or F3 or enter key

Highlight over the sections with a ! first, then F then f and finally the I in a box as it is providing more info in the module itself. it is reporting something that needs to be read.

If you have further questions post under the DAS how to section and ask for help there with A or B or C as it is under the appropriate section and can be found easily and referenced for future readers

Good luck with ur Benz man! I always think it's pretty funny that we share the same transmission as ur Sprinter, those things are tanks.

Hope this helps,
Will

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-31-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Siri jacking up my broken splainer more :-/
The following 3 users liked this post by BoostedAero:
JerryFritz (08-31-2016), ladetroit (07-02-2021), SuperChargerE55 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
In all fairness, Plutoe sometimes does dispense some valid insight into a question. His signal to noise ratio is quite low though.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
In all fairness, Plutoe sometimes does dispense some valid insight into a question. His signal to noise ratio is quite low though.

Signal/noise lol that's funny

If my signature said anything to do with RTFM first, it would explains my lack of tolerance for simple answered questions. I have worked in IT engineering and communications for 15 years and the GUI was a little confusing at first. It was not easily or logically designed "under the hood" the way the sub menu's flow IMHO. Kinda like it was built on a Solaris or AS400 platform first beta then modified.

Perhaps Plutoe desires a complex mind boggling diagnosis, if so he can help me with my car

Sigh

I like doing stuff myself much like the OP.

Information is power and more power allows for more perceived control...until the tires break loose

Last edited by BoostedAero; 08-31-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Arrrrrrggggh
Old 08-31-2016, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Hi All, I am not sure if this is the right forum for MB Star questions, but since "the big MB star thread" is in here, I figured I would give it a go.

I am about to pull the trigger on an MB Star C4 with laptop and wanted to get some clarification on a few things. I tried searching here, the net and a few sellers blogs, but could not find answers.
<snip>
I have a sprinter and a C230 and the things I would like to do are:
- diagnose and read/clear codes on all the computers
<snip>
Lastly - where can I find a Xentry user manual? Internet has not been much help here. thanks for the info.
Before you do anything with your car, practice with the simulation mode, and then practice some more. Become familiar with the screens and beware of initializing anything until you understand what you are doing. If in doubt, don't do it; come back here and search or raise a query. It is quite possible to "brick" your car with the developer mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
amgggg... (02-02-2020), JerryFritz (08-31-2016), ladetroit (07-02-2021)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Some additional training videos about DAS/Xentry can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MBOwnersClub

This user uploads new training videos regularly, some covering proper use of DAS/Xentry for maintenance & diagnosis. Most videos look like they were originally produced as part of OEM factory tech training. Many are in German much like much of DAS/Xentry itself is... especially in Developer menus. I have found having an SDS system to be an invaluable tool as it has paid for itself many times over considering dealership will charge $150-200 per diagnostic SDS session (Quick Test) which takes all of about 3-5 minutes to complete, start to finish. I've even discovered improperly performed maintenance by MB dealership using Star & been able to show SA the proof so repair is on them. I can drive long distances in confidence without fear of dreaded limp-home mode leaving me completely stranded somewhere unfamiliar where vultures lurk. I strongly urge & recommend acquiring a STAR system (mine is a Chinese clone C4 mux with all cables & Dell D630 HDD that I paid $300 for on AliExpress) to anyone who drives one of these computer controlled vehicles.

Last edited by PSDCampervan; 09-01-2016 at 12:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PSDCampervan:
edd333 (10-02-2019), ladetroit (07-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Just to throw out another option, there's the X431 Launch EasyDiag. Around $50 or so on Aliexpress, that's the one that comes with access to 2 car manufacturer lines. Got it working on mine. You can run a quick test and it gives you the MB codes. I was getting an ESP error and it told me it was the steering angle sensor and not one of the speed sensors. It also allows you to clear those specific codes. I don't think you can do any coding with it though, you can just basically read all the MB specific codes and their systems and it lets you clear them so if you want to lower your car, you can't probably do it. But for around $50 or so, it's not bad.

As for Plutoe, he has been helpful sometime in the past, but lately not so much, but he still comes through once in a while. Some of his comments do make me laugh though. He's unfiltered!

Last edited by cetialpha5; 09-02-2016 at 08:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ladetroit (07-02-2021)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 PM

06 Sprinter 03 C230
Just a follow up for anyone who cares.

I ignored all the negativity and purchased a MB Star C3 with software and laptop. I figure that I am smarter than most people, and if a mechanic can use it, it should be easy for me.

Well I was right (as usual). Sure I sound like I an arrogant arphole, but its hard to deny the truth (that I am an arrogant arphole and intellegent).

I am not sure what all the panic was about, but Xentry/DAS is easy to use and easy to understand. Far from rocket science. Its obvious how to read codes, erase code, run diagnostics, adaptations and actuations. The WIS and SD Finder are great additions. It is also obvious, that there are places that I should avoid until I have a better understanding. DAS gives lots of warnings. Hard to make a mistake without *really* going out of your way.

I have already fixed a number of outstanding issues on my Sprinter and C230. Easy Peasy.

My advice to anyone who wants to buy an MB STAR clone. If you are the kind of guy that ignores railings on cliffs, steps around and falls over anyways - perhaps hold off a year or so, then you will not need it anyways, because you will be dead. However, if you the kind of guy who is intelligent, learns from other peoples idiocy, and takes time to read things, then ignore all the doomsayers and go for it.

OK, lets the flames begin. I have my suit on already.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryFritz:
FLASHBACK (11-23-2022), jonathan358 (12-15-2020)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S320CDi V6 3.0 CLK320 A208-Vito w639 115 sport-W202 C180 EST
New-ish member test. To Plutoe

[QUOTE=Plutoe;6902732]If what you state is the truth,then you don't need a DAS Xentry C4 set. You can spend fifty bucks on and OBD scanner and meet and exceed your stated objectives!!

Additionally,if you don't understand the definitions in your "What questions", then you are not ready for a factory tool.

A Xentry user manual does not exist, the knowledge and the skill to use and interpret the tools outputs comes from OJT experience and in depth knowledge of the MB vehicle mechanical and electrical systems.

I would suggest you use the money to take the family out to dinner and or visit Disney World you will receive much more value from that investment!![/Q

Just seeing if this message gets through I have a got waist 30 post just to get an answer as with other websites.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Seriously Plutoe Guy was just asking for help
Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221 S320CDi V6 3.0 CLK320 A208-Vito w639 115 sport-W202 C180 EST
Having read your reply to a new member asking a civil question without doing some basic research first, and having you talk to like a child I thought I would ask the BEEZ KNEEZ of the Benz world as you must know the answer.
Were in Xentry is the Steering angle adaptions to the ABS module on a 1998 Mercedes CLK320 A208 Cabriolet .Also were is the Lateral G sensor. Its not in the boot behind that massive bulkhead as it says on WIS.Its not around the N72 module like on W210.Its not under the back seat.
Why when you have disconnected the battery does the ABS/ASR/BAS light "not stay on" after the car has started. Without having to cycle the steering wheel with the 3 turn process.?
Why can you take the key out the ignition does the Park solenoid not activate.
Why can a fault code as bad as "C1025 Can to ABS" not set a light on the dash but just cut off half the interior Can network.
Car drives fine ABS perfect. ASR perfect Traction Control perfect.
Lost functions. Mirrors adjustment,Rear boot release,Gear lever moves freely with no key in. Rear window switches don't work but operate on the Key fob and softop down modes
How do you get the reset function of the steering angle sensor to open the gateway to say everything's ok then clear the codes.

Your wealth of Knowledge would be much appreciated.