GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Production delay on custom order..anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 (ordered); 2015 BMW X5 M Sport
Production delay on custom order..anyone else?

I placed my order for a 2017 GLC in late July, with an estimate of 2-3 months for delivery. When I inquired today about a real production date, I was told that it won't be built until 1st week in November, with delivery a month later. Dealer said that my options (including leather) were the reason for the production delay. Dealer offered me a GLC loaner car once my actual car is built, and they will take my trade at the same time.

Has anyone else experience a prolonged order lead time for a custom order? I've done this quite a few times with BMW and Audi, and never had such a long wait time when allocation isn't an issue. But this is my first custom Mercedes.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
yes. my designo black leather is delayed 8 weeks. I am now looking at first decade of November production. I ordered my GLC last month. It's going to be one of those "oh yea, I forgot I ordered this!" moments once it finally arrives lol.

I think it has a lot to do with more demand than expected. If you look at the (lack of) competition, the GLC is a no-brainer. There is always reluctance with first model year vehicles, so now that 2017's are out, people are ordering them in droves, causing suppliers to be backlogged.

Last edited by ec_nova; 09-09-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Hey, join the crowd! My SA told me the same that all custom builds with Sport Pkg are being back ordered, and the wait for expected built/delivery is January. We are talking about a 4 months delay right here!

The suspense is killing me!!!

Last edited by Gee Spoolin; 09-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Australia is worse off.
Order now, hope a dealer is allocated some build spaces in Nov,Dec , reality is any order now they are talking April, May 2017 delivery ?.,!,,,
Old 09-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
My GLE 550e has been delayed by at least 3-4 weeks. SA says units coming from Europe are also delayed due to parts shortages. Others on this board say that the shortages are not listed in the Net Star system. So who knows...
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM

Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
Hehe.....you US/Aussie laddies are more spoiled than you think.

I placed the order for my GLC 250 in January - December delivery!
Nothing special; the usual premium package, Artico leather, etc.

In the mean time I'm leasing a CLA Shooting Brake - not exactly
enjoyable! The last time I let the salesman talk me into leasing.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'17 GLC 300 4matic
I initiated an order for a '17 GLC in early July seeking delivery in early October, which the dealer did not anticipate to be a problem. It took a while for my desired options to be tied down because the M-B packages changed and some trim (e.g., burl walnut) became unavailable or hard to keep in the build (e.g., HUD). I have Pkg 3, leather, HUD, about everything except the pano roof which can make this an expensive buy--or, it seems, a long gestation period. I was surprised at how hard M-B seems to make it for their dealers, although there may be back stories about some availability issues. Anyhow, my car was built 8/16 and should be now in the USA, if not at the dealer, awaiting my pick-up 10/7. Guess I will call and check on that......
Old 09-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
We finalized our order on 7/25 and were told it would be built in September and we would receive it beginning or middle of October. I was expecting to hear something soon, as it is right around the time it should be being built. Our build is loaded, with Premium 3, Sport, Night, Burmester, parking assist, HUD, running boards, Distronic, and pano roof.
This thread got me a little worried, so I stopped by my dealer to inquire. I had not heard from him in a long time. He pulled it up on NetStar while I sat there with him and it showed we were scheduled for a 9/3 production slot, and he said all indications were that it is on schedule. There is no VIN yet (happens when the car is completed, I think), but he did not see anything amiss.
Fingers crossed!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let's start.. " placed my order for a 2017 GLC in late July, with an estimate of 2-3 months for delivery. When I inquired today about a real production date, I was told that it won't be built until 1st week in November, with delivery a month later."

Frankly too dang sloppy -

1) at the time a customer "places a order w/dealer" - if that dealer has a existing/changeable production PO with the factory - the Sales Department at that time can tell you the month/decade for that PO they intend to change.

2) Dealer submits the PO changes to the factory - done by Sales or Inventory Management at the dealer - (2a) normally/most-of-the-time PO change is accepted no problem - and if the changes are not accepted due to option/availability for that original slot - (2b) some dealers will automatically change the 1st available later PO that accepts the options (and instructs Sales to advise the customer) - (2c) or at least advise Sales the target PO slot that could be changed to get everything the customer has "ordered with the dealer".

When dealer sale people don't do what they are supposed to do - then everything after that become "factory delay"...

GLC production is quantity limited - dealer allocated factory orders are limited - and in some cases as discussed above dealer salespeople followthru and communication can be ****-poor...
The following users liked this post:
speedeye (09-11-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Lexus LS460
Same issue here...ordered mid July just today told build will be late November.
I was originally told 2 months...now it will be 6 months.
I'm not a "happy camper"...
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Most peculiar; I place my order on 9/10, received my build confirmation a few days later for a build date of 10/13, arrives in port on 10/25 and delivery by dealer 11/1. Fair enough there is plenty of time for it to go wrong but pretty pleased for a GLC43 with all options bar leather seats and drivers assistance package. Is the GLC43 produced in a different factory or something?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your order was well communicated and well handled... others-not-so-much ...
Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 PM

Lexus LS460
This issue appears to be limited to the E300 with P3
Old 09-21-2016, 11:48 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by clarst
We finalized our order on 7/25 and were told it would be built in September and we would receive it beginning or middle of October. I was expecting to hear something soon, as it is right around the time it should be being built. Our build is loaded, with Premium 3, Sport, Night, Burmester, parking assist, HUD, running boards, Distronic, and pano roof.
This thread got me a little worried, so I stopped by my dealer to inquire. I had not heard from him in a long time. He pulled it up on NetStar while I sat there with him and it showed we were scheduled for a 9/3 production slot, and he said all indications were that it is on schedule. There is no VIN yet (happens when the car is completed, I think), but he did not see anything amiss.
Fingers crossed!
Today I got a text from my SA saying our build had entered the red zone, but it has been postponed from 9/3 to 9/30.
First thought: It had better be in the red zone, since it was supposed to be built by now.
Second thought: If it was supposed to be built on 9/3, why are we just now finding out that it has been delayed?
Unfortunately, the wife is getting cold feet and thinking of canceling, so it may be a moot point...
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus RX
Not gonna lie - this thread has made me very nervous. We made changes to a car already in line for production with delivery to the dealership in November. I preferred the burgled walnut, but am considering changing back to the newer finish just so it doesn't get jammed up in back order! (Or at least reduce the potential). While I can wait until mid-November, much longer than that might kill the deal in my mind. I basically have to make a decision by tomorrow because I'm not available on Tuesday, which has been stressed to me is the deadline to be in this already established order.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I would have an honest and open discussion with the dealer about that. Tell them that you are happy to make some alteration to the order if that means there won't be any delay. But if there is delay that then the deal may be off.

Let them do the work for you, let them present you with the options.

Anyway that is the relationship I build with my automotive dealers, ultimately that is what they are earning their commission for. Saying that UK law does help as when they state a delivery date then they will have to meet it. So they are pretty good at providing a realistic view.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:03 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by clarst
Today I got a text from my SA saying our build had entered the red zone, but it has been postponed from 9/3 to 9/30.
First thought: It had better be in the red zone, since it was supposed to be built by now.
Second thought: If it was supposed to be built on 9/3, why are we just now finding out that it has been delayed?
Unfortunately, the wife is getting cold feet and thinking of canceling, so it may be a moot point...
I received a VIN number from the dealership today, so I guess it's back on track!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus RX
I very clearly asked the dealer about it, and they've had no issues. While you may think it's P3 causing the delay, I think it sounds more like it's HUD, which is an additional $1000 on top of P3. Not sure you can get it without P3, but it's still an additional option.

And just a question, why would burled walnut have anything to do with configuring HUD, but other wood finishes wouldn't?

As it is, we worked directly with the guy who orders the car and I have no reason to believe the changes weren't accepted. Mostly because I asked. But hell, I guess they could have told me anything?

Questions: Is there any way a normal person can track their build? and 2)Is there a difference between custom ordering and getting a slot in a slated delivery? OR do all builds - custom and otherwise have to somehow line up to a predetermined dealer allocation and those build dates?

Last edited by Modadunn; 09-27-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Ordered mine 8/12 and got my order number 2 days later. Black/black, Night pkg, PO3, black ash wood, trailer hitch, burmester system and pano roof. And he told me (Your GLC is scheduled to be built in the 2nd 10 days of November. I will contact you once it has been built in mid November). There is shortage in sports packages. Asked him again yesterday any update and he said it's on schedule. So being in LA it will probably be here beginning of January.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 (ordered); 2015 BMW X5 M Sport
Previously mentioned at top of thread that I ordered in July and now have a November production window. Worth noting that I didn't order P3 or HUD, which has been mentioned above as the potential sources of manufacturing delay.

I did order a leather interior, sunroof, Burmeister, Parking pkg, and some other basic options. Don't know if the leather interior is causing the issue, but I suspect it is. If you search inventory in Florida, there were few GLCs on the ground with leather.

Finally, as a potential help to others, my dealer has agreed to provide me with a GLC loan on 11/1 to keep until my car arrives around 12/1. If you are feeling worried about the car actually getting built on time, you might want to circle back and get this commitment from your dealer. He's taking my pre-agreed trade at the same time.