Used GLK350 Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Ford Escape 2.0
Used GLK350 Advice

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the site for the past few days reading about GLK350s. I currently drive a 2013 ford escape and while I love everything about the car the ergonomics aren't very good for me. The seats are hard and a little constricting on my big frame, and a lack of proper arm rests kill me on long drives. I found the GLK350 while looking for a replacement and I'm really liking the option.

I'm looking at used 2010's in the 15-16k range with 75-100k miles. I plan on driving the car until it dies on me if I manage to get one. But I'm concerned about potential issues with buying a higher mileage car with no warranty. I've already spoken to local shops about how service a and service b work but I'm looking for user opinions. I can make peace with the more expensive service but I'm not ready for costly major repairs. I read somewhere brakes can be $800-1000 and will likely be needed by 100k miles. Are there any more hidden surprises like that one? Have your vehicles been dependable and do you enjoy it?

Sorry for the long post but thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide!

-Sean
Old 09-21-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Sorry, but if you are looking for a higher mileage car with no warranty that won't cost a lot in maintenance, then do NOT get a Mercedes of any kind. You would be much better off getting a used Toyota Highlander.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Theanomaly20
Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the site for the past few days reading about GLK350s. I currently drive a 2013 ford escape and while I love everything about the car the ergonomics aren't very good for me. The seats are hard and a little constricting on my big frame, and a lack of proper arm rests kill me on long drives. I found the GLK350 while looking for a replacement and I'm really liking the option.

I'm looking at used 2010's in the 15-16k range with 75-100k miles. I plan on driving the car until it dies on me if I manage to get one. But I'm concerned about potential issues with buying a higher mileage car with no warranty. I've already spoken to local shops about how service a and service b work but I'm looking for user opinions. I can make peace with the more expensive service but I'm not ready for costly major repairs. I read somewhere brakes can be $800-1000 and will likely be needed by 100k miles. Are there any more hidden surprises like that one? Have your vehicles been dependable and do you enjoy it?

Sorry for the long post but thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide!

-Sean
I'm probably going to be selling mine before too long. It's under CPO warranty through next fall. I've had all regular maintenance done on schedule at the dealership with new brakes, rotors, and tires at 43,000 miles. I'm at about 46,000 miles now. 2013 350 4Matic in palladium silver. Whispbars, custom audio that looks factory, and in wonderful condition. I am trying to decide if I should trade it in for about $19k or private sell for about $22k. I'm looking at going a little sportier and more cargo space with a Jaguar F Pace. Point is, you should only get a Benz that has warranty or at least has all service done on time. Mine's in great shape and I'm confident I'll have a lot of interest given its condition and the fact that it's not the new less desirable body style of the GLC.

Last edited by sethro1980; 09-22-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK350 & 2012 Acura TSX SE
Originally Posted by Theanomaly20
Hello everyone,

-Sean
You won't find many user opinions here or anywhere else online for that matter. I say this with certainty as I also did my research prior to purchasing our 2014 GLK350 with 34,000 miles on the odometer. I didn't really didn't find any major reported issues. This can only mean 1 of 3 things:
  1. The GLK is very reliable and only requires regular maintenance.
  2. The GLK owners that experienced any issues outside of the "norm" were all under warranty and had the dealer take care of it.
  3. The GLK is still a relatively new vehicle, probably not that many high mileage ones on the road yet.

I have reason to believe that most Mercedes Benz consumers aren't the "DIY" type. With that said, get it if you truly like it; and have an idea of how to maintain it yourself to save some money.

I can tell you from experience with a 2007 BMW X3 out of warranty, I learned a LOT from that vehicle. Had it for 6 years from 38,000 miles up to 162,000. Thankfully I was able to perform all the maintenance myself:
  • Oil changes (Engine, differentials, transmission, transfer case)
  • Brakes, Rotors & wear sensors
  • Cracked expansion tank
  • Faulty thermostat (Twice)
  • Valvetronic gasket (Twice)
  • Valve cover gasket
  • New Spark plugs
  • Engine misfires (resolved with new coil pack(s))
  • Water in the cabin
  • Brand new struts, shocks & springs
  • Broken window regulators (Twice)
  • Transfer case gear

I doubt we would've kept the BMW X3 as long as we did if every issue required a visit to the dealer. Then it would've definitely been a money pit!

FYI,
if you were to do the brakes yourself; depending on the quality of brake products you buy for the GLK it'll cost you about $331 total.
  • Front pads ~$76.99
  • Rear pads ~$36.99
  • Rear rotors ~$49.99 (each)
  • Front rotors ~$49.99 (each)
  • Brake wear sensors ~$9 (each) (1 front/1 rear)

Last edited by CaGui1223; 09-22-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Welcome to the forums! I cannot comment on the dependability of that particular model, as I have never owned one.

What I can tell you is, you will not find alot of major complaints. Are there complaints? Of course. In consumer reports, the GLK is a good bet, scoring above average or average each and every year it's been out. Having spoke to numerous Mercedes techs, most models released by them, pre 2001, and post 2007, have been pretty solid vehicles. The new GLC, that replaced the GLK, has been relatively problem free as well. There aren't statistics to prove my theory, but from what I've seen on the forums, all they've needed is regular maintenance.

Despite their new models being solid, there are still rules when buying used cars that can be expensive to service and repair.

1. Never settle, always get the lowest mileage one you can.
2. Never buy at a sleazy used car lot.
3. Always get a pre-purchase inspection.
4. When out of warranty, at least take it to an indie that specializes in the specific make, or do the work yourself.
5. STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

Life is just to short to drive around in a Japanese or American tin can.
The following users liked this post:
clintbmu (06-17-2019)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
The 2010 GLK was on the Consumer Report recommended SUV list for driveability and low maintenance. I have 110K on my 2010 GLK 4Matic with virtually no problems at all. Great car. Find a local shop run by a Mercedes certified mechanic to save money and get better service too.
The following users liked this post:
clintbmu (06-17-2019)