C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63s AMG (Current) // W204 C63 AMG (SOLD) // E55 AMG (SOLD)
Exhaust question...

If you have the regular C63 omg s... is it possible to just get the performance exhaust from dealership and bolt on, and button too?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by C63DaKine
If you have the regular C63 omg s... is it possible to just get the performance exhaust from dealership and bolt on, and button too?
It will not work... you will need to look into getting an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
I asked the dealer to see if they could upgrade a standard exhaust to a to perf exhaust, they said no. Bear in mind though that a few reputable sources have said that the difference between the standard and performance exhaust is that the performance exhaust allows you to make the sound quieter—the loud setting of the performance exhaust is supposedly the same as the standard.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:04 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Andyroo
I asked the dealer to see if they could upgrade a standard exhaust to a to perf exhaust, they said no. Bear in mind though that a few reputable sources have said that the difference between the standard and performance exhaust is that the performance exhaust allows you to make the sound quieter—the loud setting of the performance exhaust is supposedly the same as the standard.
bleh, I fail to believe that tbh... the loud setting of the PE is the same as the standard exhausts? not for my ears, I guess
Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SBH-
bleh, I fail to believe that tbh... the loud setting of the PE is the same as the standard exhausts? not for my ears, I guess
In fairness, my standard exhaust is considerably louder with 3k miles than new. I've also been comparing images of the PE backboxes and the standard backboxes (the rest being the same), and although the the shape is slightly different (to accommodate the quieter secondary pipe), the volume (amount of space rather than level of noise!) appears the same. Also, the 'loud' pipe seems to be the same diameter. Bear in mind I've not heard the PE, this is just what I've seen in images and what I've been told by those in the know.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 AM

C63S 2016
lets see what others in the forum think.. I pretty much doubt it tbh
Old 09-22-2016, 04:06 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Would be a shame to pay $1250 to make the car quieter.
My take on the matter.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:08 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
My take on the matter.
hahaha true the name raises a flag, Performance vs Sport (or standard I'm not sure what they call it)
Old 09-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
hahaha true the name raises a flag, Performance vs Sport (or standard I'm not sure what they call it)
I am fairly certain the noise is louder with the Performance exhaust based on how it works - I haven't heard standard and performance side by side so can't be sure, but based on the design it should be. Everyone agrees the loud pipe is in both the standard and performance exhausts and is roughly the same. The value is located in the loud pipe in the performance exhaust. When closed, you only get exhaust gases flowing out the quiet pipe, hence being able to make it quieter than the standard exhaust. When the flap is open, the exhaust gases now go out both the quiet pipe and the loud pipe, making it louder than the standard exhaust.
If you haven't seen it, check out the
video which shows the exhaust in the AMG showroom from about 12 minutes in. It shows the location of the valve.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Here is a YouTube video by saabkyle. Great video.
He demonstrates beautifully, how the performance exhaust actually sounds louder
When activated.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 09-22-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
This.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I heard them side by side when I went to buy my car. The performance exhaust is definitely louder.

I had both cars next to each other at the dealer lot when I did the test.
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM

W205 C63 AMG
lets see what others in the forum think.. I pretty much doubt it tbh
Just going by what the guys at AWE have said and what I've seen!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Just going by what the guys at AWE have said and what I've seen!
You're either dumb, or you're just plain lying. I had both cars right next to each other at Fletcher Jones. A red one with performance exhaust and anotherblack one without. The Red one was MUCH louder.

If there's someone that has a C63S without the performance exhaust in LA, let me know and I can meet up and do a video for the forum members to compare.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
You're either dumb, or you're just plain lying. I had both cars right next to each other at Fletcher Jones. A red one with performance exhaust and anotherblack one without. The Red one was MUCH louder.

If there's someone that has a C63S without the performance exhaust in LA, let me know and I can meet up and do a video for the forum members to compare.
There was another tread where AWE had said they had done testing and the performance vs regular was the same loudness with the valves open. Now I took it all with a grain of salt, but would love to see some side by side video. (I still can't believe this hasn't been on youtube yet)
Old 09-22-2016, 04:42 PM

W205 C63 AMG

Is that how you talk to people in real life? Anyway, the AWE guy said the exhaust sounded the same in another thread on this very forum, so that's what I'm going on--why would I have any reason to distrust him?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Is that how you talk to people in real life?
Welcome to MBWorld.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
Is that how you talk to people in real life? Anyway, the AWE guy said the exhaust sounded the same in another thread on this very forum, so that's what I'm going on--why would I have any reason to distrust him?
Did you stop to verify their claims? They claim that the standard and PE exhaust is the same, yet they have no numbers in decibels to prove it. All they provided was a simple graph lol. Don't just follow the herd.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
With the valves open I'm sure they sounds the same. With that being said, does the standard have the valves open during normal driving and idle after the short open valve warm up period. My impression was that the valves stay closed until heavy acceleration and the PE allowed you to open the valves on your own during normal driving. Although I'm sure it is far more technical but that's my understanding
Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Guys, I literally have no dog in this fight. I'm unbiased and just saying the truth.

Back in February when I was looking to buy my car, I went to Fletcher Jones to get one. They had a car that was specced perfectly except it didn't have the performance exhaust. They tried talking me into buying it so I asked for a side by side comparison. The only other car that had the performance exhaust was an ugly red car.

There's absolutely no comparison between both cars at cold start, idle, and even when you rev. Not sure at WOT. Didn't get to do that.

I ended up not buying their car just because it didn't have the performance exhaust. That's how much better it sounded. Found a different car at Beverly Hills.

I live in Los Angeles and have a C63S with the performance exhaust, if there's anyone in my area that wants to do a side by side comparison and post it on Youtube, please feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to meet.

Don't listen to AWE.
The following users liked this post:
Tej7 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Guys, I literally have no dog in this fight. I'm unbiased and just saying the truth.

Back in February when I was looking to buy my car, I went to Fletcher Jones to get one. They had a car that was specced perfectly except it didn't have the performance exhaust. They tried talking me into buying it so I asked for a side by side comparison. The only other car that had the performance exhaust was an ugly red car.

There's absolutely no comparison between both cars at cold start, idle, and even when you rev. Not sure at WOT. Didn't get to do that.

I ended up not buying their car just because it didn't have the performance exhaust. That's how much better it sounded. Found a different car at Beverly Hills.

I live in Los Angeles and have a C63S with the performance exhaust, if there's anyone in my area that wants to do a side by side comparison and post it on Youtube, please feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to meet.

Don't listen to AWE.
When you start up a non-PE car when the engine is cold (AMG screen shows oil temp sub-90 degrees), the exhaust is significantly louder for the first 30 seconds or so after startup or than when the engine is warmed up. Any warmer than that or waiting any longer than the 30 secods after startup, the valves close and the exhaust is significantly quieter.

You have to remember that the Performane Exhaust is really an override to how the car would automatically operate the exhaust flaps. With the non-PE cars, you are at the mercy of the setting (Comfort vs Sport vs Race), the engine temps, throttle input, and speed. With the PE option, you can override this and choose you exhaust volume. It's similar to the suspension setting button you have in the car: the suspension changes given the main setting you are in (Comfort is soft, Race is stiff), but you can override it with the Suspension button and choose you preferred suspension stiffness independently.

Seeing as the volume of the non-PE exhaust depends on all of these variables, any side-by-side comparison has to take everything into account. Without doing that, a quick side-by-side comparison is completely useless. And seeing as people like AWE have tested both exhaust systems under all these variables, they know what they are talking about and show be listened to.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by msd3075
When you start up a non-PE car when the engine is cold (AMG screen shows oil temp sub-90 degrees), the exhaust is significantly louder for the first 30 seconds or so after startup or than when the engine is warmed up. Any warmer than that or waiting any longer than the 30 secods after startup, the valves close and the exhaust is significantly quieter.

You have to remember that the Performane Exhaust is really an override to how the car would automatically operate the exhaust flaps. With the non-PE cars, you are at the mercy of the setting (Comfort vs Sport vs Race), the engine temps, throttle input, and speed. With the PE option, you can override this and choose you exhaust volume. It's similar to the suspension setting button you have in the car: the suspension changes given the main setting you are in (Comfort is soft, Race is stiff), but you can override it with the Suspension button and choose you preferred suspension stiffness independently.

Seeing as the volume of the non-PE exhaust depends on all of these variables, any side-by-side comparison has to take everything into account. Without doing that, a quick side-by-side comparison is completely useless. And seeing as people like AWE have tested both exhaust systems under all these variables, they know what they are talking about and show be listened to.
Yeah... I said the PE was LOUDER than non PE at start up.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
Yeah... I said the PE was LOUDER than non PE at start up.
Did you/they put the non pe in race mode when starting up? Or both started with nothing changed?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Jojipoji
Did you/they put the non pe in race mode when starting up? Or both started with nothing changed?
S+ only. Don't recall trying race.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Tej7
Did you stop to verify their claims? They claim that the standard and PE exhaust is the same, yet they have no numbers in decibels to prove it. All they provided was a simple graph lol. Don't just follow the herd.
Yes, I contacted AWE to clarify. They put me in touch with their UK distributor who confirmed that the graph was correct. They also confirmed on another thread here on this very forum.

What herd?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question...