CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000

Old 09-26-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000

Hi members,

I am Robert from The Netherlands and i have registered today. I own a 2000 CLK and hopefully i can get some info or advice for the problems i have.
I have searched this forum and other mercedes forums for my problem but did not found any good solution.
Also i want to excuse myself if my english is not that good.

A few weeks ago i wanted to lower my windows and could not do so, also my A/C heater blower and mirror would not work. When i disconnect the positive cable from the battery and put it back all would work again. The next day i would have the same problem. So a few days ago i wanted to put my roof up and it did not want to go up. After that suddenly nothing would work as stated above. I could start the car and other things like headlight would work.

I took my owners manual and worked out the steps to close my roof manually. The first few steps worked nice but i made an error by closing the trunk Well now i cant close my roof completely as there is a problem with the rear bow lock because the last step of closing it is in the trunk.
I cant open the lock of trunk with the manual key i have lubricated it with wd40 and other specialized lock sprays and juggle for a while. It is not working.

So i have no power going to my roof so i could do the last step electronically.
I cant acces the trunk as the manual key is not working.

I hope a memeber here can help me out with info or advice to bypass my problem or i have to bring it to the garage.
In the picture you can see i have gap between my roof and the compartment where the roof goes in.

Thx in advance for all the help and info.
Attached Thumbnails Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-img_0453.jpg   Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-img_0454.jpg  
Old 09-26-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK320 Cab
The gap in your roof can be easily remedied if you can get the trunk open again. The rear top locking mechanism (right under that latch, accessed in the trunk) just needs to be locked down. This can be done by placing a 6mm hex wrench (if memory serves me right) into the hex opening. Then turn the wrench, this will cinch the latch down and seal the lower rear of the top to the body of the car.
You may need another person to push down on the rear section of the top and try to open the trunk manually. I think this not being latched down is causing the trunk from not opening.
This info is based on some of the errors I have done with my CLK in the past 4 weeks of ownership.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
misterzouk.....the following thread provides several methods to get your trunk open.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...on-t-open.html

Your initial problem, of some of the electrical items components misbehaving, is an electrical issue on the CANBus, which could be caused by a broken wire, faulty ground, or controller).

When you removed the battery terminal, the stored fault that was causing the misbehavior was cleared, only to reappear again.

This thread provides an example of such a problem and successful repair.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...revisited.html

Last edited by Serndipity; 09-26-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 AM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
@Quikzilver thx for yout reply, when we pop the trunk than we can do it. Maybe you are right on the latch down trunk issue (electrical problem). Is this your first mercedes you own?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 AM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
@Serndipity thx for your reply,

I have tried the methods to pop the trunk as stated in the thread with no results. Also removing the rollbar is not possible as i have to release the hydraulic pressure from the trunk.

I have removed my backseat and cushion to see if there is a way to get in the trunk but there none.

About my components misbehaving and that it should be an issue on the CANbus might be right. I have used a diagnostic software and came up with the following errors (pictures). I am searching currently the net what the error codes means.

I think when i can get the electronics to work i will be able to close the rear bow.
Attached Thumbnails Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-img_0451.jpg  
Old 09-27-2016, 04:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK320 cab
I spent around half an hour spraying wd40 to the trunk lock and turning the key. It will open eventually and that's your way into the trunk and getting everythng else sorted out. It's going to take some time because the manual lock probably hasn't been used since the car left the factory...
The following users liked this post:
misterzouk (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by misterzouk
@Serndipity thx for your reply,

I have tried the methods to pop the trunk as stated in the thread with no results. Also removing the rollbar is not possible as i have to release the hydraulic pressure from the trunk.

I have removed my backseat and cushion to see if there is a way to get in the trunk but there none.
The preferred method is to free up the lock mechanism and then use mechanical key.

The correct procedure to unlock the truck is to turn the key 45 degrees counter clockwise and then push the key inward.

If the mechanism will not turn, it can usually be freed up using a release agent such as Lock-Ease, lots of wiggling and patience. WD40 usually works as well, but it leaves behind a residue that gums of the lock, where future use of the key may not work well. Do not use pliers to force the lock to turn, as others have experienced it breaking off in the lock.

In extreme, stubborn situations, the procedure detailed by Aussiesuede will release the trunk. Hint: if you need additional details, use the forum advanced search for posts by Aussiesuede.

This procedure should be a last resort as you have to remove the rear seat back rest (e.g. not just the seat cushion). You do not remove the roll-bar assembly.

Then through a small open space in the roll-bar assembly, you unfasten the lock strike plate, which will allow the trunk to open.
misterzouk (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 PM

@Quikzilver thx for yout reply, when we pop the trunk than we can do it. Maybe you are right on the latch down trunk issue (electrical problem). Is this your first mercedes you own?

Yes, my first MB...second foreign car (had a 1986.5 Porsche 944). Everything else has been American. I have been working on getting my top to work properly since I purchased my MB two months ago. Right now, I have to drop the top manually and this is one of the last steps that I have to do when putting the top back up. The latch would normally pull the top tight if the top is working pneumatically/electrically. Since mine still isn't (and unfortunately, yours is not either), you need to open the trunk as describe by Serndipity. It took me a little bit of time to learn how to open my trunk with the key, as I wanted to open it the same way as every American car I have had...put key in, turn and push. With MB, any more than 1/4 counter-clockwise will result in it not opening. 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then press in. Then lift the trunk lid. Hope it works out for you!! Keep us posted!!
misterzouk (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
You guys rock thx for all the information.
I am currently spraying with a special cilinder spray and keeping in mind the steps how i should operate with the manual key. No luck yet but i dont give up that easy.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:15 PM

So??? Get in yet? It took me 2 days of playing with the key to get mine to open. I watched the guy that I bought it from open it without any issues...I just kept doing it wrong. LOL!!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'87 TDT350, '93 500E, '01 540I'
Hello everyone on line! still with CAN-BUS error codes? 2 ways to get rid of, 1st. disconnect POSITIVE side of battery post and quickly ground it,( SPECIAL ATTN! with cars with 2 batterys!!!!), this way all systems are force to go sleep! after a min. or so reconnect battery and test all systems, some may need to initialyze, 2nd. could be simply pull instrument cluster out & unplug it, BUT!! if you can afford it to pay attention with this step!! be EXTREMILY CAREFULL! for most part they get stuck and could be a damage to it & to YOUR pocket! good luck and have a great day
misterzouk (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
Originally Posted by Quikzilver
So??? Get in yet? It took me 2 days of playing with the key to get mine to open. I watched the guy that I bought it from open it without any issues...I just kept doing it wrong. LOL!!
No luck yet, we had some bad weather yesterday so i was not able to work on it. At this moment my fingers are realy sore ...

Tomorrow we will try to see if we can make the elctronics work again
Old 10-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
Update...

Power window and mirror adjustment are working again now and AC/Blower still nothing.
WHen i open the roof the windows go down but i cant make the last cycle for the rear bow to lock. I hear a knocking sound (VDO box) when i try the open and close button for the roof. The roll bar button is not working also and the same knocking noise from the same box appear.

Also i have tried and tried to make the manual key work but still no luck yet.

A friend of mine told me that i could open the trunk with a programm called delphi??

Is it a good idea to break the lock or should i bring it to a mercedes garage and let them figure out for whatever the cost may be. There is some bad weather coming to The Netherlands.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Update...

Is it a good idea to break the lock or should i bring it to a mercedes garage and let them figure out for whatever the cost may be. There is some bad weather coming to The Netherlands.
Definitely DO NOT try to 'Break' the lock. Our lock mechanisms are not of the traditional "Tumbler" variety, and as such, attempts to drill out the lock do not accomplish anything but destroying the lock. You still will NOT be able to gain entry after doing so. I made the mistake of trying that route before I discovered the definitive way to gain entry into a locked trunk. I've detailed the procedure here:

1st follow this procedure to gain access to the trunk. (You do not need to disconnect any of the electrical, nor hydraulic, lines attached to the rollbar mechanism. After you unbolt it, you can simply cant it forward to gain sufficient space to access the strike plate which you'll simply unbolt - releasing the trunk lid:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ering-how.html

This link details our lock system and just why it is futile to attempt to break the lock:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...rill-lock.html

Following the above procedures will give you access to the trunk. Move both front seats to their fully forward positions to give you the most room to work with.
misterzouk (10-04-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Update...

Power window and mirror adjustment are working again now and AC/Blower still nothing.
WHen i open the roof the windows go down but i cant make the last cycle for the rear bow to lock. I hear a knocking sound (VDO box) when i try the open and close button for the roof. The roll bar button is not working also and the same knocking noise from the same box appear.

Also i have tried and tried to make the manual key work but still no luck yet.

A friend of mine told me that i could open the trunk with a programm called delphi??

From your initial post, while manually operating the power roof, which required reducing the hydraulic system pressure, the the truck was shut. At this time, either the case cover or rear bow are not locked, as seen by the power roof / roll bar controller. To avoid collisions between an open trunk lid and roof's case cover, the central locking system / electrically the trunk will not unlock. I'm not familiar with the delphi program and whether or not it can over ride the designed safeguard. Additionally, attempting to operate the power roof or roll bars will not be successful, because of the reduced hydraulic system pressure, which was dialed back.

I know you fingers are tiered, but before you proceed to a more invasive or expensive procedure, try using a specialized penetrating oil to free up the lock.
misterzouk (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
Thx again guys

@Aussiesuede, my top is not in a retracted position but closed position. I have removed the complete backseat. If i unbolt the roll bar and tilt it , i will still have a problem with the plate.

@Serndipity, you are correct there is no hydraulic pressure. I was happy when the window and mirror started to work i was not thinking straight after that LOL.
Anyway you know how to keep people motivated, everyday i have a 30 min date with my trunk and manual key...i can crack a walnut with my fingers by now.

I have found some pictures on the net what problem i am facing to use Aussiesuede method with a top up. As far i can see i cant stick a wrench with extension from the inside to unbolt the strike plate. Or is there something i am missing here?
Attached Thumbnails Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-dsc00111.jpg   Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-dsc00112.jpg   Convertible roof and trunk problem CLK w208 2000-dsc00117.jpg  

Last edited by misterzouk; 10-04-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Mercedes CLK 2000 (w208)
Hi guys it's been a while but my issue is solved.
I have brought my car to the Mercedes dealer and they have drilled out the lock.
They took 2 hours as they told me drill out the lock and i have paid 250 euro's for it.

Thx for all the help and advice