07 gl320 Key issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl320 cdi
07 gl320 Key issues

Hi
Last week I have started experiencin problems with the key. First time it wouldn't unlock or lock the door's. Then it would not turning in the ignition. After a few minutes the key turned and it started. Two days later we changed the battery in the remote and the key worked fine opening and closing the door's but would not turn in the ignition. I have tried charging the car battery and still nothing. In fact after disconnecting the car battery to charge it the remote will not even open or close the door's, the lights on the key go on when pushing the buttons but nothing happens . After charge the battery is at 13.2v.
Does anyone know what could be wrong? I also noticed a small battery (like a small motorcycle battery) right next to the main battery does anyone what this one does?
I just don't want to order a new key and findustry out it is some thing else.
Thanks any help would be great
Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dear confused--the key batteries are for the convenience functions and have nothing to do with starting the car!! If the key will not turn you either have a bad key or the main battery is less than 11volts.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:12 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Key not turning in the ignition is usually either a key or eis module.

Your problem is not battery- related...

Are there any star/ das codes logged?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl320 cdi
Hi
I realise the Batteries in the key are for opening and closing only, However as I mentioned after disconnecting the main battery these are not doing anything either.
I have not got any faults on dash, I am hopefully getting access to a computer today to check fault codes... only thing is usually you need to have the key in ignition ON position to get the car computer to start throwing codes.
Do you know what the small battery next to the main is for?
Why did the key stop working for doors after disconnecting the main (is there a way of re syncing?)
Thanks for your help
Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
Originally Posted by Ivan Emelianov
I also noticed a small battery (like a small motorcycle battery) right next to the main battery does anyone what this one does?
Aux battery. So that transmission can be shifted when main battery is dead.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:31 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
you can try to resync the key, but for that it needs to be recognized (ie it should turn in the ignition).

here is the procedure just in case

1 Place your key in the car’s ignition and turn the key two clicks to the “On” position

2 Press and release the lock button on remote.

3 Press and hold the unlock button on your remote.

4 Press the lock button on your remote five times consecutively, while the unlock button is still held, at one or two second intervals.

5 Release the two buttons and wait five seconds after pressing the lock button for the fifth time. Press either the lock or unlock button once to finish the procedure