C43 sedan or...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW328ix, AMG C43
C43 sedan or...

...Tesla?

Hi guys, I did not want to put Tesla in the title, so I won't scare anybody off .

Anyways, currently driving a bimmer 328 - love it, but need something faster. I drove a 2014 C300 for a while, my wife had it, with the dynamica seats and sport package - really liked the car, but it was not as fast/responsive in manual.

I need to change my 328, and I was contemplating the Jaguar XE, 340i... but in comparison with these two, I fell in love with the C450, as it drives and sounds really nice, and has the dynamica performance seats.

Thus being said, I also drove a Tesla a few times, and I was wondering if you have an opinion on the matter: Tesla P60D (awd, S series) vs C450/C43 sedan? I am looking at smoother ride while commuting, with the possibility to kick the hell out of it if I want to.

Please be objective/subjective as you want, but don't throw things at me for daring to ask this question

Thanks,
Gabe
Old 09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
I know you will love the C43 but the Tesla can be a problem if you have not researched it well enough. It will not give the range Tesla or EPA says in the real world driving as it would be about 175 mi. on this configuration. The seats suck and fit and finish is not up to MB standards. It can be configured over $100k and would be easily in the $80s.
You don't say where you live so some of the discounts are unknown and if you need the winter pkgs. or not. what is your diving like --normal distance etc.
Also you say you like the sound and that might be enough to not buy the Tesla as you wont be able to wake up the neighbors when you start your car.

Last edited by RDOCA; 09-28-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
C43 Sedan
I made an account just to respond to this thread.

This is absurd, and you would have to forgive me for questioning your sanity here .

You want to compare between a gas guzzling semi-AMG to a tree hugging ipad that drives itself?

People buying a C43 are looking for a sport car feel in a practical vehicle, and not a plug and play car with a 400km range that makes as much sound as my iphone.

Ignoring all that, the price range is not even close. You should be comparing to a C63 based on price alone.

The Tesla does 0-60 in 5.5s. You can get this performance in a Honda accord touring V6 and pay ~$40k in Canadian funny money.

This boils down to what you want. The C43 is a fun car which you buy for the driving experience. No one buys a Tesla for "driving experience".

Skip the overpriced tree hugging toy and save money on the C43 and have fun while doing it. You are already half way there - you being registered on this forum and all.
The following users liked this post:
Mbm6f (01-12-2017)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Updated location. I would have the remote start with the new mb or the tesla, so I am not worried about winter package. Really love the awd on my car, though.

Here's pretty much my build so far:
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...ab=tab-summary

I am not excluding the CLA45, but I come into the same price range as the C43 and I like the C43 better for space and possible further tuning.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Well, after you drive a tesla, if you like driving in sport mode (and not just the sound of the exhaust - although this is a factor, as it sounds pretty nice), you will understand why I am asking this question.

Last edited by gabe.m; 09-28-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM

C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Gabriel Mihu
Updated location. I would have the remote start with the new mb or the tesla, so I am not worried about winter package. Really love the awd on my car, though.

I am not excluding the CLA45, but I come into the same price range as the C43 and I like the C43 better for space and possible further tuning.
You comments make me think you are trolling.

You clearly want more than just a "faster" car.

Well, after you drive a tesla, if you like driving in sport mode (and not just the sound of the exhaust - although this is a factor, as it sounds pretty nice), you will understand why I am asking this question.
You are telling me a Tesla handles as well as a merc ? :S... mate.....

J
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Sorry, mate, this is exactly what I did not want to start (trolling session).

I am just undecided and trying to get comments/opinions other than the 0-60 times or net articles. Anyways, you are right about the Honda, but I will not go that way, of that I am certain.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
...Tesla?

Hi guys, I did not want to put Tesla in the title, so I won't scare anybody off .

Anyways, currently driving a bimmer 328 - love it, but need something faster. I drove a 2014 C300 for a while, my wife had it, with the dynamica seats and sport package - really liked the car, but it was not as fast/responsive in manual.

I need to change my 328, and I was contemplating the Jaguar XE, 340i... but in comparison with these two, I fell in love with the C450, as it drives and sounds really nice, and has the dynamica performance seats.

Thus being said, I also drove a Tesla a few times, and I was wondering if you have an opinion on the matter: Tesla P60D (awd, S series) vs C450/C43 sedan? I am looking at smoother ride while commuting, with the possibility to kick the hell out of it if I want to.

Please be objective/subjective as you want, but don't throw things at me for daring to ask this question

Thanks,
Gabe

Seems like a reasonable comparison to me. I assume you have a Tesla dealer nearby? I wouldn't buy anything like that without a good dealer support system.

The Tesla is a lot bigger vehicle, it weighs more, and costs more to acquire similarly optioned. The lease terms suck, last I checked, so you're probably buying. The vehicle has great dynamics, in spite of that, due to the very low center of gravity. And electric motors put out torque like crazy, so it's faster at low speeds, but slower at high speeds. It costs less to operate. You can park at those "electric car only" spots at the mall, and take advantage of other electric car perks. The Tesla is a statement car.

You can lease a loaded C43 for a reasonable monthly payment. It has no range limitations. It sounds fantastic. It's more than fast enough for the real world. You apparently like the driving dynamics. Mercedes has a large dealer network, with plenty of loaner cars should something go wrong. It's a ubiquitous C-class, at the end of the day. It flies under the radar.

I personally like the interior of the Mercedes better. Exterior of the Tesla better. Fuel mileage in the C43 will be worse than your 328, and not even comparable to the electric equivalent for the Tesla.

I didn't go near the Tesla because the nearest dealer is 200+ miles from me. But I seriously would have considered it. As it is, I hope to pick up my C43 order next month. I think either car would be a win.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Thank you, piredon. Valid opinions, a couple of them I did not think about before.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450

I like your build, and I'm with Piredon 11; it's a win-win. Like with my black on black C450, The identical wheels will go well with the color.

Some may question it's AMG credentials, but coming from an '09 C63 to a C450 (I know; some say I'm crazy), it is legit...........minus the V8 sound and brutal shove or kick in the pants acceleration.

But, I still feel "V8 Power" and the exhaust tuning ain't too bad, that is, power equals a NA 4.5 V8 in my experience implicit in the 450 badge.
And with the AWD it's not trying to kill me like the 63 was; been trying to get it to wiggle safe wet scenarios (blasting out of corners, for example, no traffic) with no luck whatsoever.

The trolls messing with you? Screw 'em.

Some of us are cousins, all descendants of the Don't tell us how to live our lives - or research and build our cars - and we won't tell you how to live yours family.

So if you get the 43, enjoy. It will be encouraging you to wring it out, as a few car magazine testers have said, all the time. Crazy fun and safe.

Later, cuz.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
I appreciate the cross-shopping you are doing - it means you're still doing some soul searching and there is nothing wrong with that.

You will notice a world of difference between your 328i xDrive and a C43. If you haven't test driven the C43, I would suggest you try to find one to test drive or see if a dealer has a C450 available.

As for the Tesla, the jury is still out on this. You aren't going to be getting a rocket of a Tesla if you're opting for the P60D. To be honest, I don't really notice a huge difference between cars that take 5.5 to 6.5 seconds from 0 to 60. You really start feeling the speed once you hit sub 5 second cars. Sub 4 seconds is in a world of its own. What I'm trying to get at is...it seems like you would be buying the Tesla for the cool factor more than actually having a faster sedan. There is nothing wrong with that. If it were my money, I would be satisfied with trying out a Chevy Volt for the cool factor because I have heard nothing by great things about it.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but I usually like buying things in the mid range of a manufacturers line-up because you get good luxury with good performance. I don't think you'd get that with a P60D. To each their own
Old 09-28-2016, 02:16 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
I drove the C450 and I like it allot, that's why I'm puzzled, and that's why I placed the 340i lower on my list... I like the mb interior better (except the ash wood - can be dealt with - and the popping screen)... I will drive the C43 hopefully next week, expecting it to be rough/mellow when it needs to.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM

C43 Sedan
The ashwood is the best part :O! It's okay not everyone is perfect .

FYI, C43 is apparently 0.2secs faster and sounds sumptuous. Get the C-Class you won't regret it.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Maybe am better qualified to respond here.
Had all the 3 series models of the last 20yrs in 15yrs. Started to look at Tesla and went to Merc just to check it out for my sister. Well lets just say C43/C450 > BMW 340.
Now Tesla is an interesting proposition. I know I know. I cross shopped it with the 2016 C63S I got and were it not for the weight and GM-like interior... I'd have gotten that over the C63S.
Now those with 2009 C63 comparisons, I have had a lot of seat time in a 2010 CLS 63 driving up to Toronto for Caribana a few times. One huge difference bewteen the new 63 and old is new has more shove in the pants than the old. But biggest difference is the new feels like it lost 500 lbs. It just hides its weight so well. Infact if you didnt know youd be fooled into thinking its in a C300 weight class only way way sportier. Thats a very good thing. OP the C63 is like an M3/M4 only faster (for us normal drivers) and way nicer. All the stuff in the magazines to the contrary is just funny to me. I love BMWs, was going to get an M4 until I drove this and it was an easy choice. Well extra cost bothered me a bit but still AMG.

Now lets get back to Tesla. For what you pay for it, I feel the interior and material are never going to match any other manufacturer's product in its price point. Its just plain that bad. And in case you dont know, it ages like your expect a GM car to age on the interior. Most argue those issues are more than made up for by the tech and fuel costs, but I disagree. It all depends on what you like. Personally where I am seating is rather important.

As far as Torque, Tesla is the king of Torque. The 60D wont get up and go any better than the average sedan. But once on the move, its got C63 levels of torque so passing and in traffic maneuvers are quick and it feels fast, no questions about it. Now there are other cons, it feels heavy, and there is no hiding that fact. "Its like the worlds, best driving sports car" claim is pure hyperbole or the people constantly making the claim havent driven a real sports car. I have Range Rover Autobiography too, and the Tesla feels and in deed does weigh as much as that thing! Other issue is price. Even considering fuel and ignore the Tesla calculated "savings" they are exergerated. I'd put the 60D-75D in the same price class with a AMG C63, and to me its an easy choice here for AMG if you dont do a ton of miles a year.

OP if you are happy with a C450 just get the C43, its just better spend here. And its not bad. I would have been totally ok with the C43 myself, but coming from a tuned BMW 335i it felt a bit underwhelming though admittedly not only adequate but nice too. My advice best choice is C43.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 OB Black AMG c63s
It was my understanding that while Tesla model s has great 0-60 speeds, it handles like a boat.

I prefer a fast car that can take a turn like its on rails.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
StrikeTeam: Tesla handles quite well, and the P85D/90D has one hell of a kick and instant response. The suspension might not be as stiff as on a race car, but is nowhere close to a comfortable sedan (like a Nissan Altima, and Buick Lacrosse - you can't even feel speed bumps in this one at 20 mph - these are the only ones I can compare with). Taking turns at high speeds, with the foot down, seems just impressive for a sedan... maybe I didn't test enough cars. Enough praising the Tesla. I don't have the money for a 90D.

Thanks guys for your opinions, if I wanted to get another car I would have gone to another forum. I really liked the C450 and can't wait for next week to drive a C43. I really admire the honest opinions, and I feel good knowing I am not the only one with the dilemma.

I would really like the P90D, or maybe the P60D/75D - as a statement, and no more gas stations - but I guess the interior makes a difference. All cars of this level have a pretty nice interior, but mb just shines a little bit extra.

Thank you, again. I will test the C43, hopefully next week. I will let you know about my impressions and decision.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:20 AM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Well, the C43 order is in. Car to be built in december. C43, roof, perf exhaust, night package, P03 options... basic swede seats with red stitches (can't really feel a difference between those and sport seats), black ash (to be vinyl-ed later )... and yes, the performance steering wheel.

That's about it
Old 11-03-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
the C43 interior is also nicer than the tesla by a lot. if youve sat in a model S, you know half the dash board will move if you push on it and all the switch gear and window switches etc are from the w204 mercedes.

its not really that luxurious a car. and its much bigger
Old 11-07-2016, 06:48 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
I vote C43
Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Ubiquitous c class

love it
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 PM

BMW328ix, AMG C43
Got the C43, have it for 10 days, love it! Thanks everybody for their advice.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by gabe.m
Got the C43, have it for 10 days, love it! Thanks everybody for their advice.
Sweet! You can get used to lovin' it, G, as you will likely will get that "Damn I love this (bleep)!" feeling every time you hop in to take a spin...........whether it's to the store down the street or on a long, hi-speed, highway blast - and everything in between.

And I'm in the slightly less badass 450!!
The following users liked this post:
gabe.m (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
I've had both a 85kw Model S and a C43. Model S feels a touch faster off the line-- regardless of whether it actually is faster, the instant-on electric power is unbeatable. C43 has it beat in top-end power for sure.

Switchgear in the C43 is a bit nicer. That said, the Tesla interior still feels more premium because it is just so different than a normal car with no transmission tunnel and huge high quality LCDs everywhere.

Seat construction in the C43 is better (normal sport seats) but the Tesla leather is much higher quality than MB. C43 has a quieter highway ride.

Handling is a toss-up. Tesla drives like a heavier car but it's incredibly planted because of the low CoG. Tesla steering might be a bit better than MB.

Other people perceive the Tesla as a far more premium/exclusive car than the MB. Only limited experience with MB dealers so far but IME, Tesla sales service blows them out of the water.