GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Headlight Bulb Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63 S AMG
Headlight Bulb Change

Hey all... It's my first time messing with an SUV, and I know this a dumb question, but how do I get the headlight bulb out? I have the non-HID lights, and want to upgrade them with an HID kit. But there's like two inches of space behind the low-beam dust cap, so I can barely get my hand in there to even take it off. On my E63, this wasn't an issue. Is there some trick, or does the whole headlight have to come out? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I noticed the same small space when I attempted to do mine, so I had a local MBZ indy shop swap my bulbs out. I believe they used a rivet removal tool to pop off a small door in the front wheel fender well, then you have direct easy access to the low beam bulb. There is no need to remove the headlight housing. It took them less than 10 minutes to do both and they were nice enough to not charge for the service
The following users liked this post:
Grey.Spectre (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by mdot949
I noticed the same small space when I attempted to do mine, so I had a local MBZ indy shop swap my bulbs out. I believe they used a rivet removal tool to pop off a small door in the front wheel fender well, then you have direct easy access to the low beam bulb. There is no need to remove the headlight housing. It took them less than 10 minutes to do both and they were nice enough to not charge for the service
Ahhh, I see! I'm going to go look on mine right now... That'll definitely make life easier, thank you. I still can't believe how I didn't notice that the one I bought didn't have the ILS xenon setup. Ugh. I checked literally everything else. Oh well, at least now I can upgrade to them.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE300D, GL 350BT
What is the bulb size for a low beam replacement? Anybody found an LED light kits that work?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:26 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by alphainfinity
What is the bulb size for a low beam replacement? Anybody found an LED light kits that work?
You don't want to put LEDs for low beams. You'll end up with reduced throw distance and uneven lighting. HIDs are a better option.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE300D, GL 350BT
Hi Azn optics, I was looking at your XB35 HID KITS and have the problems been resolved with flickering during dusk? I also read on these forums that a lot of users are also getting getting bulb out messages. I want to make sure that any kit I buy is extremely simple to install and I can basically forget about it once the installation is complete. Are there any installation instructions or YouTube videos online that will give me a clue as to how to install these kits on a GL 350 bluetech? I also want to make sure that this kit will fit with the OEM bulb clips. I absolutely do not want to do any trimming.

Last edited by alphainfinity; 02-20-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by alphainfinity
Hi Azn optics, I was looking at your XB35 HID KITS and have the problems been resolved with flickering during dusk? I also read on these forums that a lot of users are also getting getting bulb out messages. I want to make sure that any kit I buy is extremely simple to install and I can basically forget about it once the installation is complete. Are there any installation instructions or YouTube videos online that will give me a clue as to how to install these kits on a GL 350 bluetech? I also want to make sure that this kit will fit with the OEM bulb clips. I absolutely do not want to do any trimming.
GLs have low power drl setting when in auto. The low power should be enough to power HIDs, but some have issues with under current. Isn't an issue if you just do manual power up though. We have several MLs using our Morimoto kits without issues. We have the latest Morimoto bulbs that are slimmer profile so will fit your clips. We can send you the Morimoto install guide.