GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How do you switch the Satnav off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
How do you switch the Satnav off?

I mourn the passing of my old C Class Estate, eight years from purchase new. It was so simple to operate and with a decent Garmin stuck on the window did everything I wanted it to do. My new Premium Plus kit appears to have been designed by a teenage gamer who never left his bedroom. I don't see much improvement over the old car, although the Burmester is great. But how do you square all the complications with the recent controversy about driver distractions? A case of the Emperors New Clothes perhaps.

So can anyone suggest a simple way to turn off/cancel the Nav after I've got clear of the city and I'm on a recognisable route. I'd want to keep the radio playing.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by URBassman
I mourn the passing of my old C Class Estate, eight years from purchase new. It was so simple to operate and with a decent Garmin stuck on the window did everything I wanted it to do. My new Premium Plus kit appears to have been designed by a teenage gamer who never left his bedroom. I don't see much improvement over the old car, although the Burmester is great. But how do you square all the complications with the recent controversy about driver distractions? A case of the Emperors New Clothes perhaps.

So can anyone suggest a simple way to turn off/cancel the Nav after I've got clear of the city and I'm on a recognisable route. I'd want to keep the radio playing.
Not sure what you're asking. Not wanting to sound like a smartass, but hit the "radio" button or select it from the screen will bring up the the radio. Is this what you meant?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM

GLC
I've already got the radio going and I want to turn off the Nav. When I had a Garmin I just slid the switch on the top and it was off. I don't want to have to dive into menus while on the move but even if I pull over can I somehow turn off?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Press the speech button and say "Guidance Instructions Off" or "Radio"

PS. Honestly it is ok to press a button on your dashboard whilst driving. Or just leave it running in the background, it is not like it is going to do anything other than ahem show you the way, or a map or whatever.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
From Navigation screen:
Pull rotary controller back - menu appears at bottom of screen
Pull rotary controller right - "Destination" is highlighted
Push rotary controller down - "Cancel Route Guidance" is highlighted
Push rotary controller down.
You now have the option to cancel route guidance.

or:

Press Voice Command button on right-hand side of steering wheel.
After the activation ding, say "Cancel Route Guidance"
You will then be asked if you want to cancel so just say "Yes".

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:14 AM

GLC
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll use the Voice Command; not happy about diving into the menu while on the move.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
Originally Posted by URBassman
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll use the Voice Command; not happy about diving into the menu while on the move.
Even simpler. When the Nav voice is speaking press down the volume roller in the centre console. That'll then mute it. I think that might also work if you press the mute button on the steering wheel.

Has to be done whilst the nav voice is speaking though, otherwise you'll mute the radio.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by Mikeyking
Even simpler. When the Nav voice is speaking press down the volume roller in the centre console. That'll then mute it. I think that might also work if you press the mute button on the steering wheel.

Has to be done whilst the nav voice is speaking though, otherwise you'll mute the radio.
That will also work... pressing mute button on wheel, but like you said, you have to do it while she is talking.