C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63s Coupe Reviews...we want 'em!

Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW M2 Competition
C63s Coupe Reviews...we want 'em!

Ok, those with new coupes need to step up and give us some reviews . No more screwing around . If you've owned/driven the sedan version or an M4, comparisons will be very much appreciated too.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
Ok Gizmo. Short review because I've only done 260miles and I'm running it in properly. If I ever get round to it I'll do a follow up review a a month or so.

C63s Coupe Reviews...we want 'em!-img_5528_zpskxcuazjs.jpg

This review is just about my experience from purchase, build quality and how the car feels compared to cars I've driven recently.

Externally the panel gaps are good and the general fit of the body is good, joints line up, no problems.

Internally the car is really premium feeling. Switch gear is very, very nice indeed, everything clicks and/or feels positive.

User Interface:
I'm not sure about this. At the moment I don't find it very intuitive but I get by with it. Finding settings - the Burmester equaliser for example is awkward compared to BMW iDrive. Audi's system is also a little easier to user from scratch and whilst my 911 is a little bit button centric it is very easy to find MOST things. I currently use my phone to supply BT audio, can't believe the C class doesn't have airplay yet. However changing track by swiping the touch thingy is easy.

Rattles:
There is currently one rattle I'm aware of from the driver's door around my right shoulder area or lower. It is noticeable on some road surfaces to the point of annoyance but it isn't a massive problem. I have driven several Mercedes over the last few months - in particular:
Edition 1 C63s Saloon
S63 AMG Coupe.
Both of these cars had annoying rattles from around the center console area.
A lot of the roads where I live are in a very poor state and tend to shake out rattles quite quickly.

To compare:
My 911 was a complete rattle monster when I got it originally. At least 10 different rattles. They have been fixed one way or another and I still have two microfibre cloths wedged behind the rear seat belt covers and business card wedged above the glovebox! I also had buzzes from speakers which got fixed too.

Audi RS6 - A couple of minor rattles from new. Fixed by dealer.

Golf R - not a single murmur.

F-Type - One very annoying rattle from lift up vent. Not yet fixed!

BMWs - I have had several and a few had minor rattles, my M5 had one from the passenger seat belt.

Driving:
The coupe feels very solid to drive generally. I'm in comfort mode all the time but the car is still pretty responsive, can't wait to give it some serious stick! The exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. Love the deep rumble of it and put the window down to listen at any opportunity. Steering is generally accurate, pointy. Overall the car feels a little like a lighter, taughter version of the F10 M5 (a great, fun car to drive). The car rides really well, seems a little less firm in comfort than the saloon, very flat round corners and not "skittish" like the M3. Generally, in the brief period I've had it, it has felt quite similar to the saloon but a little more comfortable in the comfort setting. So far, honestly it feels fantastic to drive and I want to be in it all the bloody time!

Overall, for the money I can't think of a car I'd rather be in right now. Is it worth such a premium over an M4? Honestly I think it is in a slightly different class. Everything is slightly more up market, the car is more imposing on the road, it feels better to drive, faster and the interior is better than just about anything else - way nicer than the C7 RS6 or the M3/M4. A shame the "iPad" screen doesn't go edge to edge. Maybe the 2018 car will.

Save
Save

Last edited by DragonRR; 09-30-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Very important-only driven both!! (Though C63s coupe is on order)

Only quick comparision with M4.

C63s coupe is better looking out/in side.
Prefer much more mature,exclusive,luxurious look. Those are expensive cars, it is simply not enough to look only sporty and agressive.

C63s drives more refined-suspension wise and is also quieter with better interiour.

C63s sound world better.

C63s has more power.

M4 is cheaper, better fuel economy, lower running costs, bit more agile (due the weight?), better rear-end traction, better transmition, more spacious in rear.

All those plus-es M4 has however can not overrun the pleasure and enjoyment C63s gives you for everyday driving. Nor in wildest dreams. Maybe on track is M4 more slightly more capable but i dont care a f.uk about track performance.

Main and biggest difference is that C63 gives you big pleasure even when driving normaly-it sounds great, has tons of power regardless of rpm, ride is refined, beautiful interiour.
M4 you need to push it hard all the time, otherwise it sounds awful, feels less urgent + ride is stretched up, noisier.

Final touch is code AMG-public perception is on different level-it just warms your heart further

PS. Full review after car delivery. (Hope in mid december)
Old 10-01-2016, 12:50 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
This is the review I wrote for mine a few days after I got it. I've got 1800 miles on the clock now but my opinion hasn't changed a bit, this car is a solid 10/10.

Looks - Now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but honestly, the coupe is absolutely stunning from every angle. I can't stop admiring it every time I approach it. The stance, the flared wheel arches, the overall profile of the car, and how much it stands out from the regular C coupe. It's a real looker and head turner in every sense. The interior outdoes every other car in it's class, modern and sporty yet elegant and the quality and finish is excellent. Haven't had any rattles or squeaks either.

Engine/Sound - Same story with it's 4 door counterparts with the 4.0 Biturbo V8, I never experienced the old C63 so can't compare with that but this engine is excellent. Power delivery is smooth, effortless and there is pretty much zero turbo lag. In comfort mode it can take a bit of extra pedal travel to get moving but that's not much of an issue.

The sound it makes is spine-tingling, the exhaust note sounds like rolling thunder and has given me possibly the biggest smiles I have had in my life whenever I start the car and while driving it The signature, deep burble is noticeably more aggressive than the saloon and estate and thanks to the perf. exhuast that can be experienced in whichever driving mode you're in (especially handy since I have to keep it predominantly in comfort for the break-in).

Handling/Dynamics - Another win. Love the way the car rides, body-roll is kept to a minimum. The steering (while light) is quite direct and its easy to point the car exactly where you want it to go. Front and rear grip is superb, the car keeps itself planted but isn't afraid to let the rear slip out when you hammer it, even when that happens it's easily controlled and brought back in-line.

I'm extremely pleased with the suspension, in comfort it has a surprisingly supple and refined ride (easily outdoes it's 4 door siblings and the M4 in this respect), it can get a bit jarring on very poor/bumpy road surfaces but that's to be expected from a sports suspension and the bigger tyres. Even in sport and sport+ the ride is still compliant and bearable despite the extra stiffness.

Tech - I'm a sucker for tech so I'm very pleased with what Mercedes has on offer, I've used and loved the assistance systems in family members merc's so I had to get them in mine, distronic is a life-saver on those motorway journey's.
The HUD is a very cool party trick but is also genuinely useful too. Doesn't disturb the view ahead and shows you everything you need to know (although it would be nice for it to show call and media information like in BMW's).

Coming from a BMW myself I'm a big fan of the near faultless iDrive interface, however I'm very pleased with the COMAND system, image quality is great, well animated, relatively easy to navigate once you're used to it and has some nice features, although I will admit iDrive is perhaps a bit more user friendly, also while I don't mind the free-standing tablet display, I do mind how much wasted space remains on the tablet that could have been filled with a bigger screen (I mean I've seen a video showing the screen in a CLA covering most of the tablet, seems silly that they wouldn't do the same for a much more premium model)

Also the burmester system while not the best I've heard is actually quite good, not as bad as the comments on the forums would suggest (I never actually listened to music or radio when I tried the saloon but perhaps it was altered for the coupe).

Refinement/Utility - Wind noise is well isolated but there is quite a bit of road noise from the bigger tyres. My car came with the performance seats and I absolutely love them, they give a perfect balance of comfort and support and they look great too. Rear space and comfort are 'ok', on a short drive it shouldn't be an issue but I had a passenger at the back on my drive from York to London and after a while they were quite uncomfortable so that's something to be aware of. I have noticed small rattles which appear to be coming from the seat belt feeder area and around the right corner of the dashboard, luckily they don't happen often and seem to be only on certain, rough road surfaces.

This car is great as a daily driver. The reason for this is perhaps the best thing about it; It has 2 separate character's that can easily be accessed on the fly. If you want to take it easy, the car can cruise along in comfort with ease, but put your foot down and it becomes an absolute beast 'straight outta affalterbach' . Fuel economy and range is decent, I get 320 miles from a full tank (but none of us who bought this kind of car really cares about that kind of stuff do we ).
Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM

BMW M2 Competition
Much thanks gentlemen. Your reviews covered the areas in which I'm interested. My biggest wants are a non-jarring ride on most surfaces. I'm not a fan of big jolts. My other concern is a reasonably quiet cabin. The road and tire noise on my 335i are about the limit of acceptability. Sounds like the Coupe will do nicely for me. Again, thanks!
Old 10-01-2016, 02:23 PM

2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by Gizmo AMG
Much thanks gentlemen. Your reviews covered the areas in which I'm interested. My biggest wants are a non-jarring ride on most surfaces. I'm not a fan of big jolts. My other concern is a reasonably quiet cabin. The road and tire noise on my 335i are about the limit of acceptability. Sounds like the Coupe will do nicely for me. Again, thanks!
Wind noise is handled realy well, tire noise-funny didnt notice excesive noise, despite some members clame that there is a fair amount.. Maybe im not as sensitive as others, because my F10 is pretty noisy-shame!!!
Old 10-01-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Gizmo, I had a 335i too. I got sick of the run flats and swapped them for regular tires. I didnt like the noise and the way it crashed into jarring potholes and road rumble. I went from that to the Sedan C63S, and its my daily driver and acceptable. I feel I can use better tires as I have the stock Dunlop MAAX which are not optimal. Its quieter inside than the 335i except for that glorious exhaust sound.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:22 PM

BMW
Best bit of advice on the Burmester is to reduce the mid to -5! Whole system becomes really good - equalled the HK in the Beemer for me!

Last edited by richtw; 10-01-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling!
The following users liked this post:
diewithme (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by richtw
Best bit of advice on the Burmester is to reduce the mid to -5! Whole system becomes really good - equalled then Hk in the beemer!
I forgot to mention the sound system. I agree. I am NOT an Audiophile but to my untrained ear - The system is at least as good as the Bose system I have in the Porsche, Bose in the RS6 and other Audis and HK in BMWs.

On some road surfaces I do get a fair bit of tyre noise.

I do have one complaint which does bother me about the car at the moment. On the right hand drive car at least - the rest position for the left foot is slanted left/right so I struggle to find a comfortable place to rest my left foot. Currently I'm kind of planting it on the floor. I might need to re-consider my seat position!

Last edited by DragonRR; 10-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:41 PM

BMW M2 Competition
Looks loikee this will be next car...or an E63 coupe. Good times in that we have so many choices.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by DragonRR
I forgot to mention the sound system. I agree. I am NOT an Audiophile but to my untrained ear - The system is at least as good as the Bose system I have in the Porsche, Bose in the RS6 and other Audis and HK in BMWs.

On some road surfaces I do get a fair bit of tyre noise.

I do have one complaint which does bother me about the car at the moment. On the right hand drive car at least - the rest position for the left foot is slanted left/right so I struggle to find a comfortable place to rest my left foot. Currently I'm kind of planting it on the floor. I might need to re-consider my seat position!
Ditto on the drivers side footwell issue, it's a bit cramped down there, I get quite a lot of strain in my left leg and foot. Adjusting the seat doesn't seem to solve the problem unless I move it way back, so I usually put my foot on the floor as you've been doing.

An unfortunate inconvenience in an otherwise perfect car.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trim105
Ditto on the drivers side footwell issue, it's a bit cramped down there, I get quite a lot of strain in my left leg and foot. Adjusting the seat doesn't seem to solve the problem unless I move it way back, so I usually put my foot on the floor as you've been doing.

An unfortunate inconvenience in an otherwise perfect car.
I think it could be fixed to a large degree with a chamfered plastic foot rest velcro'd to the bulkhead carpet to straighten out the slant. It is very slightly out (IMO), just a few degrees needed. Maybe even a few studs or a ridge of plastic on the right hand edge would fix it.

My partner's F-Type has a similar (but worse) problem.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:57 AM

I've ordered a foot rest plate from Ebay. Might not work, might need to do some trimming or put some filler behind it but it might just do the job!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161712630062

Will update when I know more.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:18 PM

I've ordered a foot rest plate from Ebay. Might not work, might need to do some trimming or put some filler behind it but it might just do the job!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161712630062

Will update when I know more.
Nice, let us know if it helps! might try it out myself
Old 10-03-2016, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
This is the review I wrote for mine a few days after I got it. I've got 1800 miles on the clock now but my opinion hasn't changed a bit, this car is a solid 10/10.

Looks - Now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but honestly, the coupe is absolutely stunning from every angle. I can't stop admiring it every time I approach it. The stance, the flared wheel arches, the overall profile of the car, and how much it stands out from the regular C coupe. It's a real looker and head turner in every sense. The interior outdoes every other car in it's class, modern and sporty yet elegant and the quality and finish is excellent. Haven't had any rattles or squeaks either.

Engine/Sound - Same story with it's 4 door counterparts with the 4.0 Biturbo V8, I never experienced the old C63 so can't compare with that but this engine is excellent. Power delivery is smooth, effortless and there is pretty much zero turbo lag. In comfort mode it can take a bit of extra pedal travel to get moving but that's not much of an issue.

The sound it makes is spine-tingling, the exhaust note sounds like rolling thunder and has given me possibly the biggest smiles I have had in my life whenever I start the car and while driving it The signature, deep burble is noticeably more aggressive than the saloon and estate and thanks to the perf. exhuast that can be experienced in whichever driving mode you're in (especially handy since I have to keep it predominantly in comfort for the break-in).

Handling/Dynamics - Another win. Love the way the car rides, body-roll is kept to a minimum. The steering (while light) is quite direct and its easy to point the car exactly where you want it to go. Front and rear grip is superb, the car keeps itself planted but isn't afraid to let the rear slip out when you hammer it, even when that happens it's easily controlled and brought back in-line.

I'm extremely pleased with the suspension, in comfort it has a surprisingly supple and refined ride (easily outdoes it's 4 door siblings and the M4 in this respect), it can get a bit jarring on very poor/bumpy road surfaces but that's to be expected from a sports suspension and the bigger tyres. Even in sport and sport+ the ride is still compliant and bearable despite the extra stiffness.

Tech - I'm a sucker for tech so I'm very pleased with what Mercedes has on offer, I've used and loved the assistance systems in family members merc's so I had to get them in mine, distronic is a life-saver on those motorway journey's.
The HUD is a very cool party trick but is also genuinely useful too. Doesn't disturb the view ahead and shows you everything you need to know (although it would be nice for it to show call and media information like in BMW's).

Coming from a BMW myself I'm a big fan of the near faultless iDrive interface, however I'm very pleased with the COMAND system, image quality is great, well animated, relatively easy to navigate once you're used to it and has some nice features, although I will admit iDrive is perhaps a bit more user friendly, also while I don't mind the free-standing tablet display, I do mind how much wasted space remains on the tablet that could have been filled with a bigger screen (I mean I've seen a video showing the screen in a CLA covering most of the tablet, seems silly that they wouldn't do the same for a much more premium model)

Also the burmester system while not the best I've heard is actually quite good, not as bad as the comments on the forums would suggest (I never actually listened to music or radio when I tried the saloon but perhaps it was altered for the coupe).

Refinement/Utility - Wind noise is well isolated but there is quite a bit of road noise from the bigger tyres. My car came with the performance seats and I absolutely love them, they give a perfect balance of comfort and support and they look great too. Rear space and comfort are 'ok', on a short drive it shouldn't be an issue but I had a passenger at the back on my drive from York to London and after a while they were quite uncomfortable so that's something to be aware of. I have noticed small rattles which appear to be coming from the seat belt feeder area and around the right corner of the dashboard, luckily they don't happen often and seem to be only on certain, rough road surfaces.

This car is great as a daily driver. The reason for this is perhaps the best thing about it; It has 2 separate character's that can easily be accessed on the fly. If you want to take it easy, the car can cruise along in comfort with ease, but put your foot down and it becomes an absolute beast 'straight outta affalterbach' . Fuel economy and range is decent, I get 320 miles from a full tank (but none of us who bought this kind of car really cares about that kind of stuff do we ).
+ 1 TRIM you've nailed it
The following 2 users liked this post by Sanch:
michael640D (10-05-2016), Trim105 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Nice, let us know if it helps! might try it out myself
It works but comes with adhesive tape rather than velcro and doesn't have the rubber grips of the OEM pedals. I am re-ordering and going for this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152250841013

Again, will update when I have it. I will probably stick some velcro on this one and use it temporarily. Wish I'd spent the extra tenner in the first place!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM

It works but comes with adhesive tape rather than velcro and doesn't have the rubber grips of the OEM pedals. I am re-ordering and going for this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152250841013

Again, will update when I have it. I will probably stick some velcro on this one and use it temporarily. Wish I'd spent the extra tenner in the first place!
C63s Coupe Reviews...we want 'em!-img_5658a_zpsocmunvry.jpg

Right.. so velcro does not fix to these carpets at all! Fortunately I tried a bit first and left what I assume to be carpet adhesive tape on. Looks ok and fits. It is on at a slightly squiffy angle simply because the carpetted foot rest also follows that angle. I've tested it briefly and aside from possibly looking better then standard and protecting the carpet it does feel a bit better as a rest.

I've ordered the other one now so if it is nicer I'll remove this one and start again.
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (10-05-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:11 PM

2017 c63s coupe
That's the edition 1, right? You have the yellow inside stitching but a black external stripe? Interesting as my edition 1 has yellow inside and out.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by mrgator_1
That's the edition 1, right? You have the yellow inside stitching but a black external stripe? Interesting as my edition 1 has yellow inside and out.
That is a Motorsport Ed 1