C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2016 C300 - Using Mbrace to remote start

Old 10-01-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
2016 C300 - Using Mbrace to remote start

I have a 2 week old MB C300 and just started using Mbrace. This is our first MB. So far have managed to lock/unlock the doors and toot the horn using my cell phone. <g>

I would like to next try remote starting. I know I must have the doors locked to remote start. I also know from reading that the temperature in the cabin should go to the last "temperature setting". Does that mean I have to leave the air/heater in the "ON" position when I exit the car? Normally I turn everything OFF when I exit a vehicle (old Naval aviator training). Or will the temperature be somehow determined, and depending on that temperature, the air or heater will be activated when the car starts?

Interesting that remote start apparently works with this car, although I have not tried it yet. My sales person did not know any C class car could be remote started.......

Also, if I can remote start, what then? Unlock the doors as usual and do what? In my Chevy I then have to insert the key, which turns off the air/heater. Is the MB like that, other than not inserting a key? Our car is has the keyless option.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
If you manually shut down the HVAC before exiting it will remain off regardless of the next restart, remote or otherwise. Leave the system in AUTO mode and it will seek your desired temperature after remote start. Must have over 1/2 tank fuel, doors locked, windows and sunroof closed. I rarely lock my car at home or work so I'll send a door lock command, wait 30 secs or so and then send the start command,
Old 10-01-2016, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I can't imagine what it's like to live somewhere that you don't need to lock your car.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
At home it's in the garage. At work it's twenty feet out of my office window. If it's out in a parking lot it's locked. Usually I'll remote start it at work after it's been baking in the Florida sun for several hours. On the rare cold morning I'll preheat it in the garage. (I also have a wifi enabled garage door opener I can open remotely from my IPhone.)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I can't imagine what it's like to live somewhere that you don't need to lock your car.
I leave nothing of value in plain sight which reminds me ! when I see someone walk away from their car, I want remind them to lock their car but then I remember not all side mirrors fold when locked
Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mike5215
If you manually shut down the HVAC before exiting it will remain off regardless of the next restart, remote or otherwise. ............
Thanks for that reply, Mike. My wife and I fiddled around with the MBrace system on her new C300 last night while sipping wine. Everything works great. I try to always shut off the AC, heater and all else when I exit the car; been doing it that way for years and years. However, I will try to get into the habit of leaving the air/heater control in "Auto" in case I need to remote start the vehicle.

BTW, with my 2008 Chevy truck's remote starting procedure, I must lock the car with the key fob even if it's already locked before doing a remote start. Sounds odd, but that's the only way it will work. And my Chevy's remote start is done with the key fob. But Chevy had one big advantage for me: I don't have to leave the air/heater turned on when I exit. Apparently the vehicle senses the temperature and turns on the appropriate controls. Once I get into the truck, I must insert and turn the ignition key to "on", at which point the air/heater is turned "off" - sorta weird until one gets used to it. I use the remote start a lot when we have ice storms as my truck is parked outside.

Yeah, like others here I too insist on always looking my vehicles. They are locked even in the garage; I suppose I am paranoid, but then I've never had anything stolen from my cars or trucks....including the cars or trucks!

One time where the MBrace system sure would have been nice: we took a cruise ship out of NOLA and I could not remember if I had locked my truck as our ship pulled away from the dock. I ran to the ship's rail and valiantly pressed my Lock button on the key fob hoping that it would "reach" my truck that was parked about 75 yards away. It sure would have been nice to have MBrace's ability to lock it from miles away that time! (As it turn out, my truck was locked.....I might have not forgotten to lock it, or the fob might have (doubtful) reached that far!)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Mike5215
At home it's in the garage. At work it's twenty feet out of my office window. If it's out in a parking lot it's locked. Usually I'll remote start it at work after it's been baking in the Florida sun for several hours. On the rare cold morning I'll preheat it in the garage. (I also have a wifi enabled garage door opener I can open remotely from my IPhone.)
Just a quick note for anyone that does this in their garages. My close friend is an life safety tech, for multi unit buildings. He told me that unless you've sealed up the cracks in your drywall using caulking or spackle, and then possibly some ducting pressed into the corners, CO can build up in the walls! This can happen even with the garage door open because CO is so dense and heavy... Just sharing...
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Since the car only runs 15 minutes per remote start and the car is parked nose-in I think the ventilation with the open garage door is okay. It's a finished garage with none of the HVAC system in it. But something to be aware of.