Sponsored by:

R231 v.s. GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
R231 v.s. GTS

Has anyone come from a 2013 SL (R231) and gone to a GTS? If so, could you elaborate on the differences?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
May not be much help, but I've driven both on track at COTA in the driving academy. On track, they are miles and miles apart. The SL63 is a cushy ride that really struggles with the turns. The GTS devours the track.

The big downside to the GTS (besides being a coupe) is the compromises. The suspension is very stiff and very low. You have to climb in and out of it and then take a beating while driving it on anything but buttery smooth roads. It will beat you up, even in comfort.

Personally, I think the GTS is an amazing car and some of the aftermarket churn of cars is because some SL drivers thought they'd get the GT and their backs gave out after 2,000 miles. That may or may not be you.

AMG, if you read this, DO NOT soften the GTS suspension to sell more cars.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by docsout
Has anyone come from a 2013 SL (R231) and gone to a GTS? If so, could you elaborate on the differences?

Ok so I had a 2013 SL63 and my thoughts:

Power: similar (the 63 had the perf pack) but they way it dropped to the ground was completely different. The GTS is so fluid and linear and the SL was a tq monster. Clearly the transmission is key here: DCT vs MCT. The efficiency of the DCT shines where it get really get a lot of power to the street while the planetary auto MCT sucks up power but can handle boat loads of torque. The GTS is one of the easier RWD cars to drive at higher speeds and even launch while the SL was full of wheel spin.

Suspension: The SL had the mushy ABC (I even had the enhanced AMG suspension add) and it was still softer in the stiffest setting than the GTS is in comfort. The magnetorheological dampeners in the GTS really keep the car planted at speed and sharp turns. The SL had a bit of roll and yaw when pushed into harder turns. The GTS has great chassis feedback especially with its longer nose while the SL shows its weight when pressed.

Steering: No compare, the GTS is pin point and almost perfect with minimal understeer. The SL had medium understeer and you could feel it in the higher speed turns.

Interior: I like both but its not fair to compare the 13 to a 16 as the electronics have advanced. I actually found the SL more comfortable with its more padded seats but I like the cabin of the GTS slightly more.

Performance: The GTS is clearly better but then again it launches better, has better power efficiency to the ground with the DCT and advanced electronics.

The SL still looks good IMHO while the GTS can be polarizing to some but at the end of the day the SL is at best a GT Cruiser while the GTS is a sports car for the street. The GTS wil out track it all day.

My old SL

Last edited by Vic55; 10-19-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ok so I had a 2013 SL63 and my thoughts:

Power: similar (the 63 had the perf pack) but they way it dropped to the ground was completely different. The GTS is so fluid and linear and the SL was a tq monster. Clearly the transmission is key here: DCT vs MCT. The efficiency of the DCT shines where it get really get a lot of power to the street while the planetary auto MCT sucks up power but can handle boat loads of torque. The GTS is one of the easier RWD cars to drive at higher speeds and even launch while the SL was full of wheel spin.

Suspension: The SL had the mushy ABC (I even had the enhanced AMG suspension add) and it was still softer in the stiffest setting than the GTS is in comfort. The magnetorheological dampeners in the GTS really keep the car planted at speed and sharp turns. The SL had a bit of roll and yaw when pushed into harder turns. The GTS has great chassis feedback especially with its longer nose while the SL shows its weight when pressed.

Steering: No compare, the GTS is pin point and almost perfect with minimal understeer. The SL had medium understeer and you could feel it in the higher speed turns.

Interior: I like both but its not fair to compare the 13 to a 16 as the electronics have advanced. I actually found the SL more comfortable with its more padded seats but I like the cabin of the GTS slightly more.

Performance: The GTS is clearly better but then again it launches better, has better power efficiency to the ground with the DCT and advanced electronics.

The SL still looks good IMHO while the GTS can be polarizing to some but at the end of the day the SL is at best a GT Cruiser while the GTS is a sports car for the street. The GTS wil out track it all day.

My old SL

I think Vic has it all nailed down here. If you are coming from an SL550 as opposed to the SL63 he's talking about, then the power difference is much greater. The SL63 has an unbelievable amount of torque - much more power than the SL550. I liked the SL's seats. More adjustable and I liked the dynamic side bolsters. The GTS is a much more firm car and the "comfort" setting is fine on good roads but not fine on tar stripped crapola roads and streets that blanket many areas. I live in Irvine Orange County and the roads here are pretty darn good as are the local freeways.

The GTS is really ready for the track if you want - and corners beautifully, flatter and stickier than the SL. The passenger compartment of the GTS is finer than the SL...but does not have all the cushy or perhaps even elegant features. The seat controls for the SL are where they should be and you can easily control the passenger side seat. Not possible with the GTS - and the controls are not so easy to use.

Summation: Two very different cars. I wouldn't want to go back to the SL although I enjoyed it immensely and almost always had the top down. I have a racing background so the GTS's great motor and handling appeal to me especially.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Thank you, all, for the frank comparison. Really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
Originally Posted by California John
I think Vic has it all nailed down here. If you are coming from an SL550 as opposed to the SL63 he's talking about, then the power difference is much greater. The SL63 has an unbelievable amount of torque - much more power than the SL550. I liked the SL's seats. More adjustable and I liked the dynamic side bolsters. The GTS is a much more firm car and the "comfort" setting is fine on good roads but not fine on tar stripped crapola roads and streets that blanket many areas. I live in Irvine Orange County and the roads here are pretty darn good as are the local freeways.

The GTS is really ready for the track if you want - and corners beautifully, flatter and stickier than the SL. The passenger compartment of the GTS is finer than the SL...but does not have all the cushy or perhaps even elegant features. The seat controls for the SL are where they should be and you can easily control the passenger side seat. Not possible with the GTS - and the controls are not so easy to use.

Summation: Two very different cars. I wouldn't want to go back to the SL although I enjoyed it immensely and almost always had the top down. I have a racing background so the GTS's great motor and handling appeal to me especially.

My experience mirrors this, and Vic's. I would differ only regarding the seating; I found the SL torture for more than an hour, while the GT S is fine. But then, I also found the CF race shell seat in my C6Z06 track car supremely comfortable.....
Old 10-20-2016, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Interesting. I also found my "hot foam poured into a garbage bag" which I then sat next to - pressed against while it cooled to the shape of my back - racing seat backrest and the foam pad I sat on (the two parts of my "seat" when racing Sports 2000 in SCCA) - all on a sheet of aluminum about two inches off the ground - to be pretty damn comfortable! Of course I wasn't out on the track for more than 30 minutes at a time and I had little attention for anything except overtaking the rabbit in front!

Now here's comfort!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'16 AMG GT S, '16 ML400. '11 SCCA T1 Z06
That's quite the....um....seat......

In comparison, my Vette was a veritable throne! It had some sewn-in padding. Tee-hee

Last edited by rsalco; 10-21-2016 at 07:06 AM.