E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2002 W210 E320cdi intermittent electrical issues & limp mode is active

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320 CDi Estate & Mercedes Hymer motorhome OM602
2002 W210 E320cdi intermittent electrical issues & limp mode is active

Hi folks,

Brand new member today.

Recently bought a 2002 E320cdi Estate with 206k on the clock in the UK and its right hand drive.

Various issues have arisen in the last day or two.

The car is driving in limp mode for a start ( i have it booked in at the end of the week at a local indie to look into, hoping it might be MAF etc but no idea how to check that myself )

The other thing that has happened is I took the instrument cluster out to replace two bulbs, refitted it and now I have lost various functions as below -

The indicators dont work but hazard lights do
The wipers dont work
The horn doesnt work
The main beam flashing doesnt work - basically everything on the indicator stalk
Electric seats dont work
Multifunction buttons on the steering wheel have stopped working

Those are the ones I have just noticed that arent now working, maybe more yet.

I went out in it about an hour ago and then everything came back on working but has now again failed. This is appearing to be intermittant so could it be a bad connection or earth? Or relay

I have checked every fuse there is, under the rear seat, in the engine bay and at the side of the dashboard so I now have no idea which area to check next. All fuses did seem ok.

I need to still drive the car till I get it in the workshop on friday but obviously without the above working its a bit dodgy to be doing so.

Could this be a relay and if so can anyone point my in the right direction please.

Please help, any suggestions I can try.

Many thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2016, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"Limp home" generally has to do with the transmission - in you case best to check the "tranny adapter plug" where the harness enters the transmission.

Often that plug will fail internally leaking tranny fluid inside the plug causing bad communication at that plug - and ultimately over time the tranny fluid can "wick" up that harness to contaminate the Transmission Control Module/Board.

Now - in the UK - get's stickie - meaning replacement plug/adapter should be MB brand - not China knockoff.

The TCM board can be pulled - and if contaminated - spray/flood clean with spray can of MAF cleaner air-dry-no-heat - then reinstalled - which is a non-ammonia electronics cleaner.

You can search the forum - best to check these two things out yourself to save money.

I have no comment on your electrical - good luck with that.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Have the car scanned on SD, record the codes (I like phone camera for that) and erase all of them. See if that alone will help with some issues.
The scan will not give you all the answers, but will be good start.
Sometimes we can guess with help of crystal ball, but that is long shot.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:32 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

I've noticed many posts about " limp mode " mentioning only having a couple of gears.

My car has full use of all gears, even in the manual shift option but I dont have the kickdown working, nor the turbo seems to be working and whilst driving it wont go over 2,500 rpm and only goes to 80mph.

So you know, 0-60mph is 22 seconds lol and this car is supposed to be quick.

Checked that TCM module and the others in that box and it's bone dry, no sign of any moisture at all.

Essentially, all gears are fine, just no power, no kickdown and no turbo!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Have the car scanned on SD, record the codes (I like phone camera for that) and erase all of them. See if that alone will help with some issues.
The scan will not give you all the answers, but will be good start.
Sometimes we can guess with help of crystal ball, but that is long shot.
That is being done on friday by my local indie so I'll report back on here with any codes that were shown.