M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

W163 Bose System - No Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
W163 Bose System - No Sound

Hello,

picked up a ML 55 a few months ago, and have been doing most fixes so far myself, next project is the Bose sound system which has no sound, and i wanted to reach out here for some help.

I saw a few threads, one where the FM radio coax cable was broken, and how to fix it, but in my case this is what i know from the previous owner and my own diagnostics and would appreciate some advice on how to troubleshoot moving forward. I have no sound in any mode, navigation, CD, Tape or AM/FM.

1. According to the previous owner, the radio worked fine previously, but this i can obviously not verify. When i bought the car, it had been standing for a few months, and a new battery was put in just before i picked it up. The radio required a code, but that was provided in the manual.

2. if i go to radio mode FM/AM and hit "seek" the radio would just seek and seek, without finding any stations at all. Like there arent any stations in range.

3. TAPE mode, works, the tape plays but again no sound.

4. I have put a CD in both the stock system panel, or in the CD changer in the trunk, again, the CD plays, but no sound. All seem normal.

I read somewhere here on the forum about fuse #10 and #21, and i have checked those, in fact i put them out for a while, then back in, at this time the radio again asked for the MB code, but once i enter it, things are back, but no sound at all. I did see something about fuse #40 (under the hood) mentioned, but there is no fuse at all there, not even sure what fuse #40 is for.

I have checked the passenger side fuse box, but nothing seems to be related to the sound system in there. And i cant find any fuses near the CD changer in the back trunk either.

Are there any more fuses i should try? Is there any fuses on the back of the stock sound system panel? or anything near the amplifier (where it now may be?)

thankful for any pointers, again this is for a 2000 (W163) ML 55 with stock Bose / Mercedes sound system.

thank you, Lars

Last edited by moemoe; 11-06-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
ML radios have a recurring problem with no sound as you do and it is caused by an internal problem and many have come before you.

Your choices are: replace with used one (ebay), replace with aftermarket radio or send it out for repair. Not being in the US might cause a problem with shipping.
Attached Thumbnails W163 Bose System - No Sound-radio-jimmy-chen.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
ML radios have a recurring problem with no sound as you do and it is caused by an internal problem and many have come before you.

Your choices are: replace with used one (ebay), replace with aftermarket radio or send it out for repair. Not being in the US might cause a problem with shipping.
Thanks, parts i can get here in Canada easily, there are so many in junkyards. Been there picking already, but i first need to find out which part it is. I do find it a bit unlikely though that it is the actual media unit that is broken, as it seems to work fine as i said. Like TAPE and CD plays fine, and navigation works good. Just no sound, what ever i do, and no FM radio channel findings....

Anyone else, that have some recommendations on troubleshooting etc?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You can try replacing the chip that goes bad, but you must dismantle the entire radio to get at it.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:27 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
You can try replacing the chip that goes bad, but you must dismantle the entire radio to get at it.
Today, i actually pulled out the radio. Following the link you gave, i unplugged the fiber optics cable in the back. But i am getting 4 blinks from the unit itself, and 1 blink from the optics cable. Which in the video they say you get when the unit is working fine, so maybe i don't think its the unit?

Aslo, i was in the garage today when i tried it, and noticed a very faint hissing sound when the unit was on from the speakers. the sound didn't get louder as i cranked the volume switch, i think it just a super light humming indicating the speakers are getting power.

Again, CD plays, Tape plays, Navi works. But radio cant find channels and no sound in any of the modes.

UPDATE: Did check a few more things today, radio coax from the unit seems fine, and the connections in the truck lid seems good (saw some people had issues with broken coax cables etc.) I then tried to troubleshoot the fiber optics connections (saw a video about this too) And like i said before, the unit blinks four times when you turn it on, and so does the cable. But not sure where this cable goes next. Cant find the amplifier, i guess that's where it goes? but also heard its very rare the amplifier breaks. The CD changer in the back doesn't have a fiber optics connection, just random wires. I found the sub woofer under driver seat, and the cables going into it are non-fiber they too, and seemed to be in order. So it could be an issue with the main unit after all. I am planning to get a newer Bluetooth unit eventually, but cant afford right now, so really want to get this thing to work in the meantime.

what do you guys thinks?

what would be the next thing to troubleshoot?

Last edited by moemoe; 11-08-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Check the fiber optic cables at the E-call module which is under the front passenger seat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fiber Optics Routing.PDF (111.4 KB, 372 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Check the fiber optic cables at the E-call module which is under the front passenger seat.
Hi, thanks for your help. I think on the W163 ML 55 and the Bose system the only optical connection is from the media unit to the amplifier. All other wiring, so sub woofer, CD changer, speakers etc are normal wiring. i read the page below, which also describes this, and i have verified that i don't have optical wiring into the CD changer in the trunk, and under the passenger seat, the only cable that comes out of the bottom of the car (under passenger seat) that later connects to the passenger seat console is a large 24-pin (or so) black connector. I actually took the passenger seat out last week to replace the cushion so i am sure there is no fiber optics there.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elect...into-w163.html

link above, where someone else confirms this. As i understand my amplifier is under the firewall, near the cup holder on the driver side, i was in there today, but couldn't find it. I'll try again tomorrow to get under there and try to see how the amplifier works.

Could there be something else worth looking at?

Last edited by moemoe; 11-08-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Please UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP to include the year of your ML. Also post your full vin#.
Attached Thumbnails W163 Bose System - No Sound-aaaaaaaaab.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
moemoe (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Please UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP to include the year of your ML. Also post your full vin#.
Updated the year in the profile. My VIN is 4JGAB74E1YA180538

Based on the VIN, what do you suggest is the next step in my bose troubleshooting?

thankful for the help.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Here is the DATA Card on your truck. It never had a CD Changer or E-call module, so the wiring must go from the radio directly to the Amp.

I'm not an audio guy and I wouldn't know where to start looking for the problem
Attached Files
Java Printing.pdf (27.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 06:51 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Here is the DATA Card on your truck. It never had a CD Changer or E-call module, so the wiring must go from the radio directly to the Amp.

I'm not an audio guy and I wouldn't know where to start looking for the problem
thank you for that! and i will do some more troubleshooting here in the next week, hopefully to fix it, and help others too on the forum with the same issue.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 ML320 - Greta
It is so much better and easier to replace the head unit and amp. Update to a newer system with Bluetooth and features. You will spend a lot to get the factory radio rebuilt.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:29 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
It is so much better and easier to replace the head unit and amp. Update to a newer system with Bluetooth and features. You will spend a lot to get the factory radio rebuilt.
I was thinking of getting a newer unit, with Bluetooth for sure. Maybe that is a better route to go actually. It seems like you said, to replace the unit and the amp, but you can still use and keep the BOSE subwoofer under driver seat as well as the BOSE speakers already in the car. On my car, the only connection that is optics is the one from the unit to the amp, all else is normal wires.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:44 PM

2002 ML320 - Greta
Yes, I kept the Bose sub and ran a separate amp to it. I replaced the speakers just because they were stock and 13 years old. So for me I got a new head unit, 2 amps (1 for speakers and 1 for sub), new door speakers with tweeters in the front, new 3 way speakers in the back door. Sounds 1000x better than the stock system and I can cruise at 75 mph with all the windows down and still rock out.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 PM

2002 ML320 - Greta
If you keep the stock speakers just be careful as they are 2 ohm, not the standard 4 ohm, another reason to replace them.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by bigdaddyrobb
Yes, I kept the Bose sub and ran a separate amp to it. I replaced the speakers just because they were stock and 13 years old. So for me I got a new head unit, 2 amps (1 for speakers and 1 for sub), new door speakers with tweeters in the front, new 3 way speakers in the back door. Sounds 1000x better than the stock system and I can cruise at 75 mph with all the windows down and still rock out.
Very helpful info, thank you! maybe it is a good idea to replace the speakers too while i am at it. Sounds like you got a nice system there, do you mind sharing what you got? like brand etc? Thank you!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:58 PM

2002 ML320 - Greta
Originally Posted by moemoe
Very helpful info, thank you! maybe it is a good idea to replace the speakers too while i am at it. Sounds like you got a nice system there, do you mind sharing what you got? like brand etc? Thank you!
Sure... Kenwood Excelon DDX5902HD - 6.2 inch Wide VGA Color LCD Display with LED Backlight
Touch Panel Control , Variable Key Illumination
Built -in HD Radio
HDMI / MHL Connection with Optional Cable
Bluetooth Built-in (Hands-Free Profile / Audio Profile(A2DP) / aptX / SPP)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX5...+5902&tp=20217

JL Audio MHX 280/4 Channel Class D Full-Range Marine Amplifier
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369840..._2804&skipvs=T

JL Audio C2650 separates in the front doors.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C252...25.html?tp=105

Jl Audio C2525x 2 way speakers in the back doors.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C252...p=c2525x&tp=97

JL Audio MHX300/1 Class D Mono Marine Amplifier
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369840...hx300&skipvs=T
running stock Bose "subwoofer"

JL Audio RBC-1 Remote bass control.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369840...o-M-RBC-1.html

Also added an Alpine KTX-C10LP frame, and Alpine HCE-C125 backup camera.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xzERILh...&awmt=b&awnw=g

All wired at 2 ohms so total power from amps is 70x4 to the doors and 300x1 to the sub. It is not a huge Bass machine but it rocks out to the music I like and sounds great at high levels. My next update is to add a 8 or 10 in sub back where the cd changer lives for a little better overall bass response. Also used the stock Bose grilles so the only thing you see that doesn't look stock is the head unit.

Last edited by bigdaddyrobb; 12-03-2016 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
moemoe (12-06-2016)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 AM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Small update, today i made the effort and got the AMP out. To my surprise, there was no fiber optics cable between the media unit and the AMP!! Just two large pin connections.

However, the media unit has a fiber optics connector on the back, where could it go? not to the AMP, and while i have the phone, no fiber optics to that unit either (like not to the phone, or the phone control unit which i believe is under passenger seat), and the CD changer in the back is with regular cable (not fiber)

Any thoughts where that fiber optics cable goes? Could it go directly from the media unit to the subwoofer?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM

'04 ML350
the fibre connector could just be stock and go nowhere in preparation of selling the new owner tele-aid or something. you could try attaching an exterior antenna directly to the Command when you have it partially out, just to see if you get any radio stations. You can make one with coaxial cable and the right connector - radio shack. If it isn't getting stations at all, then Command likely bad. Does it work with the ignition at stop1, or with the key out?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...io-volume.html
Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Took the AMP out today and its being looked into by a small shop here in Vancouver that focused on repairing car AMPs.

Anyways, i had the issue of having a Fiber optics cable coming out of my unit, but i didn't know where it went, it didn't got to the AMP, not to CD changer, not to Phone unit.

BUT!! Today when i was changing the cabin air-filter, i saw the other end of the fiber optics cable, its attached to this black box, what is that? This is the only Fiber connection in my ML, from the unit to this black box. There is what seems to be a coax coming out of the black unit, and another black cable. Could this be the radio amplifier? or something to do with the radio? or phone? And why is it connected to fiber optics?

We all know that if there is a break in the Fiber Optics loop, there is NO sound. If this is related to the FM radio somehow, that would/could explain all my issues a) no sound in any mode and b) radio cant find channels.

First need to identify this "black box" anyone know what it is? and tips of diagnosing errors with it? (i do have Fiber Optics lights blinking back of unit when i start it)

Last edited by moemoe; 01-16-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: insert image
Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM

'04 ML350
Phone antenna control module. Check the fuse for it. Unplug the f/o and turn the radio on - see if the end of the f/o cable gets light. Might be telling Command your phone is in use.

Last edited by Aar Sto; 01-16-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
Originally Posted by Aar Sto
Phone antenna control module. Check the fuse for it. Unplug the f/o and turn the radio on - see if the end of the f/o cable gets light. Might be telling Command your phone is in use.
It just might! sure that is what it is? does make more sense than it being an SRS module for sure I have the radio with the AMP at that diagnostic place, will for sure try when i get it back. What you said makes sense, if the f/o cable or that black box unit have some issue, thinking the phone is on, naturally all sound would be muted in the car.

MERCEDES W163 ML-CLASS IN CAR VEHICLE PHONE HANDSET ECU COMPUTER CONTROL MODULE
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MERCEDES-W163...-/161348052994

The ECU computer is the square unit as above link, but what is the other unit it connects to on my original image? the smaller unit that has two black cables coming out from it, i cant stop thinking that one of them is the radio coax, and that all my issues are related. If this is the phone ECU computer, then one black cable should go back to the phone, but what does the other black cable do? I do know that only one black goes under the transmission center console and attaches to the phone which is located in the compartment between the seat backs.

Last edited by moemoe; 01-16-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:37 PM

'04 ML350
that's what the google results show it to be. If the connector end of the f/o is clear then you should be able to see if light is both going into and out of the unit with it plugged in. People are using aquarium tubing to couple the f/o cables and bypass some of these modules. It might be possible to turn it off with secret Command menus. Or you might just be able to unplug it. Don't know. Mine has way more over-engineered fibre-optic excess garbage inside.

Don't know if your radio antenna would go through the unit, but I doubt it. Don't know if the unit ties in to your srs system, but it probably does if you have any sort of SOS toggles in your interior.

Last edited by Aar Sto; 01-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM

'04 ML350
fusebox

Can't stop thinking what a bunch of pointless worthless garbage they dump into your car. There should be a law. FCC or somebody for the stupid signal interference.

One goes to the fuse/power. The roof antenna appears to be for gps and phone only. On the diagrams I have seen the am/fm amp is in the tailgate and the antenna is the back window. Try to search around - there might be a way to shut off the phone through Comand secret menus. Best bet is to toss that worthless module and don't look back. Not worth the time to be bothered with.
Attached Files
2004-2.PDF (45.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:50 PM

2000 ML55 AMG (W163)
UPDATE: FIXED!!!

So, thought i would share this here to complete the thread. So, basically i suffered from No sound in any mode on my Bose system, and the radio was just seeking, without finding any channels. Other modes seemed to work, but again no audio.

I found this local Japanese electronic repair shop here in Vancouver, and went there with both my main unit and my amplifer. They said they have worked on ML units before. I turned it in, and they found a couple of broken/fried components inside. A week later they called, me and told me its working again. I picked it up, and all works now. Really nice sound from the stock Bose system.

Thought i would share their detials below, total cost was about $100 USD for a complete repair.

Japan Electronics
Contact Information
Address: 4678 Main Street
Vancouver, BC V5V 3R7
Phone: 604-872-0672
Fax: 604-872-2199
Email: info@japanelectronics.ca

They are not that responsive on email, tried that first, so i would just give them a call.
The following 2 users liked this post by moemoe:
ChrisVannoy (04-16-2021), JavaMan (03-05-2017)