C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali

And this friend happens to have his cats and res replaced with SS straight pipes. When he was passing a cop car the cop decided to roll his windows down and stay with my friend right at the exhaust level. Even though my friend made a valiant effort by putting the car into neutral the cop followed him long enough to where he was forced to accelerate. Now my friend has a fixit ticket for a modified exhaust.

Can anyone help m...I mean my friend out? Any way for him to fight the ticket?

For anyone curious he works in a beach city, so cops are dic... not pleasant about it.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
you aren't allowed to do that in cali?

weaaaak those laws suck. GL to your friend, hopefully he finds a solution.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
you aren't allowed to do that in cali?

weaaaak those laws suck. GL to your friend, hopefully he finds a solution.
I've had cops talk to me about my car and the exhaust (Just bull****ting around and talking cars). But beach city cops are a whole other level
Old 12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Did you mean secondary cats and res replaced with straight pipes? If so, how can they even tell it has been altered?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Make it stock for your special inspection then go back to the loud pipes?
The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Did you get pulled over in Huntington by any chance?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Coupe
This is where your cop friend signs off. Rinse and repeat
Old 12-04-2016, 07:44 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Did you mean secondary cats and res replaced with straight pipes? If so, how can they even tell it has been altered?
yea sorry secondary. No idea, he said "is the exhaust modified?" and I told him i bought it this way and dont think so

Originally Posted by Jake215
Did you get pulled over in Huntington by any chance?
Seal Beach

Originally Posted by AhhMyyGawd
This is where your cop friend signs off. Rinse and repeat
Can other jurisdictions right off tickets? All my buddies are LAPD this is OC

Last edited by SuperFastYo; 12-04-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 PM

2015 C63 AMG Coupe
Can other jurisdictions right off tickets? All my buddies are LAPD this is OC
Depends what kind of ticket they hit you with. If it's a fix it tickets can be signed off by any officer and then you just go pay the fine in that county. For exhaust modification they probably require proof of correction from a ref depending on what your ticket says. Find out which one and if it's the latter, I would just pay the fine and call it a day.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
Not sure how it works in California, but I know in my home state, a fix it ticket means fix it within x amount of days and they wipe out the ticket, you can simply not fix it and pay the fine.

Have a friend with a loud car that went and simply said I'm here to pay, the officer at the window said, no, all you have to do is perform the required repair, friend said, no, it's my car, I made it sound that way because I enjoy it that way, I'm here to pay and keep my car enjoyable to me.......sorry had to share that great story!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Depends what kind of ticket they hit you with. If it's a fix it tickets can be signed off by any officer and then you just go pay the fine in that county. For exhaust modification they probably require proof of correction from a ref depending on what your ticket says. Find out which one and if it's the latter, I would just pay the fine and call it a day.
^^ This is basically what I came back with from reading the BAR's webpage on the issue. Yet from reading other forums it seems like if you choose to pay the fine for a ref ticket it's gonna be 500$ +(I hope i'm wrong).
Old 12-04-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Damn, US laws are strict. Here in Brazil you have to be one step louder then unbearable so a cop will pull you over for that matter.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Pay fine. Life goes on.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:50 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2010 C63 AMG Development Package
In Cali just tell cops its an AMG, it sounds like that stock. Still though you're right about beach cops. I live in Huntington and try to avoid driving through the city or getting egged on by anyone. Doesn't matter if you're in the right or not, they'll write a fix it ticket for whatever they perceive and leave it for you to fight later. Now if you have no CEL and your primary cats are there I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get someone to sign it off. Does your friend have what they need to swap parts out if thats the direction you go?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Pay fine. Life goes on.
The fine isn't the issue, I just don't want to have to cut em out, reweld the stocks in, then cut them back out and replace with the straights.

Originally Posted by CaptnCharisma
In Cali just tell cops its an AMG, it sounds like that stock. Still though you're right about beach cops. I live in Huntington and try to avoid driving through the city or getting egged on by anyone. Doesn't matter if you're in the right or not, they'll write a fix it ticket for whatever they perceive and leave it for you to fight later. Now if you have no CEL and your primary cats are there I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get someone to sign it off. Does your friend have what they need to swap parts out if thats the direction you go?
Primaries are still there, and yes I have all the parts. Beach cops are no joke when it comes to little stupid stuff that causes any sort of pollution to their beach area. Probably doesn't help that Seal Beach also houses the US's most desired retirement community (Leisure World). So I think they try to keep it as old people friendly as possible. Anyone with secondaries and res removed for straights know this is not an old people friendly setup.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Go back to the beach and do a massive burnout.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MTV10
FKN earn that ticket...
Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by MTV10
They'll think I'm so cool they wont have any choice but to dismiss the ticket! Genius!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:32 PM

2015 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
The fine isn't the issue, I just don't want to have to cut em out, reweld the stocks in, then cut them back out and replace with the straights.
When he said "Paying the fine" , he meant you should have the option of paying the violation without correcting. You will receive your notice in the mail and usually they give you two options; pay the fine without correcting or correct the violation and pay a small fee.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I'm not sure how much fighting of the ticket can be done. If you really wanted to, I would just stay honest and say the car is loud because that is the nature of AMG's and it still has it's primary cats for emission controls and mufflers for noise controls. Even though the mufflers are designed to be louder whoever you explain that to wont understand.

As you mentioned, he asked if the exhaust is modified and you said you bought it that way and weren't sure. I would stick to that and pair it with the fact the car is CA compliant and express that YOU have not modified the exhaust in any way.

And as AhhMyyGawd said, when I say pay the fine I mean just pay for the ticket and leave the car as it is. I was given a tint ticket and the judge and I went back and forth about how he said he'll just throw the ticket out if I have the tint removed and I explained to him that removing the tint was more expensive than the ticket. He said you run the risk of another tint ticket, I said I'll take my chances paid the fine and that was it.

Never had another tint ticket.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:42 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
I'm not sure how much fighting of the ticket can be done. If you really wanted to, I would just stay honest and say the car is loud because that is the nature of AMG's and it still has it's primary cats for emission controls and mufflers for noise controls. Even though the mufflers are designed to be louder whoever you explain that to wont understand.

As you mentioned, he asked if the exhaust is modified and you said you bought it that way and weren't sure. I would stick to that and pair it with the fact the car is CA compliant and express that YOU have not modified the exhaust in any way.

And as AhhMyyGawd said, when I say pay the fine I mean just pay for the ticket and leave the car as it is. I was given a tint ticket and the judge and I went back and forth about how he said he'll just throw the ticket out if I have the tint removed and I explained to him that removing the tint was more expensive than the ticket. He said you run the risk of another tint ticket, I said I'll take my chances paid the fine and that was it.

Never had another tint ticket.
When he said "Paying the fine" , he meant you should have the option of paying the violation without correcting. You will receive your notice in the mail and usually they give you two options; pay the fine without correcting or correct the violation and pay a small fee.
Got it, thanks guys for clearing that up. I'll just pay the fine if thats an option when I get the ticket in the mail.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
Got it, thanks guys for clearing that up. I'll just pay the fine if thats an option when I get the ticket in the mail.
Should have two plea options when the ticket comes. Guilty or not guilty. If you bubble in not guilty they send you a court date. If you bubble in guilty they send you the fine to pay. At least that's how it is in NY. So potentially you'll never end up in a court room or have to explain anything to anyone.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Should have two plea options when the ticket comes. Guilty or not guilty. If you bubble in not guilty they send you a court date. If you bubble in guilty they send you the fine to pay. At least that's how it is in NY. So potentially you'll never end up in a court room or have to explain anything to anyone.
I like the no court thing. That place is so depressing.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Two issues here, if I understand it that correctly.

One is needing to show your exhaust is stock. That is what it is.

But do you actually have a ticket for excessive noise?
If so, that cant just be a matter of a cops opinion.
There needs to be a sound meter involved, and if you fight it then the cop would actually need to show that he has been properly trained on it and the last time that was calibrated, what the ambient noise levels were at that time etc.
In other words, fight it and show up for court cos I doubt the cop will.

Always fight every ticket, even if you dont have a leg to stand on, cos sometimes they just dont show.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Two issues here, if I understand it that correctly.

One is needing to show your exhaust is stock. That is what it is.

But do you actually have a ticket for excessive noise?
If so, that cant just be a matter of a cops opinion.
There needs to be a sound meter involved, and if you fight it then the cop would actually need to show that he has been properly trained on it and the last time that was calibrated, what the ambient noise levels were at that time etc.
In other words, fight it and show up for court cos I doubt the cop will.

Always fight every ticket, even if you dont have a leg to stand on, cos sometimes they just dont show.
well what he got me for is exactly: VC27151(a) (I) Modification of Exhaust System

No meter involved, car was off and stayed off when I was pulled over. Ill have to give that a shot, but God I hate court rooms. He was also a Lead of some kind. They only give the watch commanders and stuff the SUV's. he was an older guy, looks like hes done his time and now just messes with kids in cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali