Sponsored by:

The C63S really IS built like rubbish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche
The C63S really IS built like rubbish

Now that I have 3k miles on my 2016 C63S, I thought I would post in the hopes that perhaps some other errant buyer can move on to something built a bit better than what Mercedes is building these days.

After 3k miles, it is very obvious this car is the absolute worst built car I have ever owned from any brand. Many of my problems have been reported extensively on this forum and elsewhere. Just adding to the chorus...
  • Nasty rattle from the center dash now that it is cold
  • The headliner in the car squeaks like mad now that it is cold
  • The glass sunroof rattles like mad
  • The speakers vibrate like mad when using the phone or listening to music within certain frequencies
  • The speakers have an electronic buzzing noise all the time
  • There is a rattle/squeak coming on the passenger side
  • The exhaust system vibrates/rattles with any movement to the car from the outside
  • The active safety systems go off ALL the time randomly for now reasons
  • The headlights are aimed far too low
  • The rear bumper does not fit perfectly on the right side

It's like driving around in a car from the 70s with rusty springs! The worst part is, I still REALLY like the car. The engine! My wife said it was embarrassing how badly the speakers squeak and how all she hears when in the car are rattles. Sadly, this has been my worst ownership experience so far outside of the driving dynamics. Really disappointed. I hope most if not all of these things can be fixed with one visit; who has time to keep going back and forth to a dealership?
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
+1 Love the car but my 98' Ford Explorer I had as a kid rattled less and was in the shop less
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
I think most of those can be fixed with one trip to the dealer. I had the same issues and took mine in and they started working right away and gave me a loaner. It took 2 full days and they said I will get it back tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out and if most or all of the noises are fixed. My dealership was pretty confident that they could fix the problems.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Wow… i got rid of my C450 for all those reasons and just ordered a C43 Coupe hoping MB fixed it for 2017… Maybe I made a mistake again…
Old 12-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Originally Posted by Souriall91
I think most of those can be fixed with one trip to the dealer. I had the same issues and took mine in and they started working right away and gave me a loaner. It took 2 full days and they said I will get it back tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out and if most or all of the noises are fixed. My dealership was pretty confident that they could fix the problems.
Let us know how that works out please with the dealer, hopefully good for you.
I have avoided jumping on the bandwagon of "whiners" or so I thought. I am realizing I was wrong and what everyone is saying is very true. At 5,500 miles and almost daily driven mine has turned into a POS squeaky rattle can inside. It's bad I can record it and I mean really bad.
I'm like you I love this car and I'm good with the harsh sport suspension. Mine is stiffer, much louder than most with upgrades and faster lol. If they fix the interior I'll be satisfied with it. Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Wow… i got rid of my C450 for all those reasons and just ordered a C43 Coupe hoping MB fixed it for 2017… Maybe I made a mistake again…
Fingers crossed. I wouldn't count on it given it is the first year for the coupe.
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
The HUD seems to be where my major rattle issue comes From. You can actually move it around pretty easily. I have to bring to dealer to see if they can fix.
The headlights you can adjust with an Alan key. You just need to pop the hood and give each side a few turns
Old 12-07-2016, 09:40 PM

2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
I'll definitely keep everyone posted. I absolutely love the car even with the noise. I just brought my car in and told them and had 0 pushback from them. They were happy to have it in.
I just told them I expect to have no noise in a car I paid that much for. I also drive on terrible roads because I'm in Seattle and they refuse to fix the roads. So I'll be giving it a true test tomorrow
Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL63; 2012 S63
My experience, and I've owned quite a few AMG vehicles, is that all of them rattle in the cold. I ended up killing a new S65 because I parked in my driveway, instead of my garage, during a few months in northeast winter. I've learned from that and any AMGs I have all sit in the garage when it drops below 40 degrees. Mercedes did take car of me very well and ended up paying me back for 6 months of payments and then swapped out the car.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
W205 C63S
Likewise, I think that the headlights are angled too low. Saw the receptacles for the Allan keys as well. Will be adjusting!

The jury is still out on this car. At least all the uncertainty will keep me from investing in any mods. Not going to gold plate this falling knife.

But seriously, if we want to make something positive out of this, people should post their outcomes for these common problems and how the dealer fixed.

Originally Posted by bgm130
The HUD seems to be where my major rattle issue comes From. You can actually move it around pretty easily. I have to bring to dealer to see if they can fix.
The headlights you can adjust with an Alan key. You just need to pop the hood and give each side a few turns

Last edited by AmexWest; 12-07-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Eh. I had rattles. I took it in for service, and told them where the rattles/squeaks were. Car's been quiet since. I've got 16k miles on the odometer.

The only car that I've had previously that was quieter was a Lexus.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by tripitz
Now that I have 3k miles on my 2016 C63S, I thought I would post in the hopes that perhaps some other errant buyer can move on to something built a bit better than what Mercedes is building these days.

After 3k miles, it is very obvious this car is the absolute worst built car I have ever owned from any brand. Many of my problems have been reported extensively on this forum and elsewhere. Just adding to the chorus...
  • Nasty rattle from the center dash now that it is cold
  • The headliner in the car squeaks like mad now that it is cold
  • The glass sunroof rattles like mad
  • The speakers vibrate like mad when using the phone or listening to music within certain frequencies
  • The speakers have an electronic buzzing noise all the time
  • There is a rattle/squeak coming on the passenger side
  • The exhaust system vibrates/rattles with any movement to the car from the outside
  • The active safety systems go off ALL the time randomly for now reasons
  • The headlights are aimed far too low
  • The rear bumper does not fit perfectly on the right side

It's like driving around in a car from the 70s with rusty springs! The worst part is, I still REALLY like the car. The engine! My wife said it was embarrassing how badly the speakers squeak and how all she hears when in the car are rattles. Sadly, this has been my worst ownership experience so far outside of the driving dynamics. Really disappointed. I hope most if not all of these things can be fixed with one visit; who has time to keep going back and forth to a dealership?
Coupe or Sedan? im wondering if any of these known issue have been addressed between the sedan roll out and coupe roll out?.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
It's a bummer to hear, but I feel like it's becoming all to common with "higher end" vehicles, where they cheap out on certain aspects. It doesn't quite compare, but I have every single issue you listed on my 2016 Land Rover... again, not as nice as the AMG, but it's still a $50k car and I shouldn't be having those issues with less than 1k miles on the clock.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:13 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
what you say is completely right, hands down. I feel the same, but god I like the car, I try to avoid paying attention to the small rattles here and there.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Yup, most new high end cars seem to be having problems like these... lot more additional parts/compatments for that lux feel.

But you seem to have quite a few more than usual, definitely go see the dealer and make a fuss.

Just remember there is no car that will be perfect in every-way. But when you are dishing out so much money you expect it to be at a certain level.

My 2015 sedan had a lot of issues including some you've mentioned above.

luckily, no major annoying issues on the coupe.... I get some noise from the roof and sun glass compartment. But I've gotten over it over time... my exhaust and music is always on.

I was in my mates new Hurcan... and its got random noises too but his exhaust over powers it all lol
Old 12-08-2016, 01:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
2016 C63S sucks like mad.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Sanch
Yup, most new high end cars seem to be having problems like these... lot more additional parts/compatments for that lux feel.

But you seem to have quite a few more than usual, definitely go see the dealer and make a fuss.

Just remember there is no car that will be perfect in every-way. But when you are dishing out so much money you expect it to be at a certain level.

My 2015 sedan had a lot of issues including some you've mentioned above.

luckily, no major annoying issues on the coupe.... I get some noise from the roof and sun glass compartment. But I've gotten over it over time... my exhaust and music is always on.

I was in my mates new Hurcan... and its got random noises too but his exhaust over powers it all lol
lately, the noise from the sun glass compartment has been irritating me the most!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:43 AM

2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
What car do you suggest instead since the c63 "sucks like mad". Very technical language btw. Impressive.

Thats for OC6.3
Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
I'm as OCD about my car as anyone out there can possibly be. I'll see/hear even the slightest issue with my car.

That being said, the only rattle/noise my '15 C63S sedan has is the rubbing sound coming from the weatherstripping around the front doors. It's easily fixed by rubbing silicone spray on the rubber/felt. I have to re-apply it every so often, but that's it.

No other noises or rattles. Maybe I've just lucky, I don't know.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Porsche
Thanks all to the support and comments. I agree, it would be helpful if we keep each other updated on progress fixing these things. I have had bad experiences in the past chasing down rattles. The biggest problem with this car is that it rattles pretty much everywhere.

As to the comments regarding how all modern cars have corners cut; that is not my experience. My 2013 Cayenne Diesel with 70k miles on it is *silent*. It has had 1 minor warranty repair. That's it. It never goes to the shop other than an oil change and routine maintenance. My 997.2 911 was the same way, and I tracked the car. Same for my 08 Cayman S. The Mercedes is 10x more rattle-y than the 2016 STI I traded in for it (Subarus are rattle boxes and noisey).

To keep this on a positive spin, let's keep each other updated with progress on resolution of these issues. I will be setting up time with the dealer to address. I have a carseat in the back and need the car every day so taking it to a dealer is a bit of a pain.

My only concern is that in my limited interactions with Mercedes dealership, they seem to be very clueless about pretty much everything. The parts departments could be described as vapid vacuums for most of the dealers in my area. Given how this car is put together, Mercedes seems to be on an out-GM GM strategy lately. I hope I am wrong.
The following users liked this post:
binga (04-03-2017)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
My car rattles like hell.

rear parcel shelf. seat adjustment switches on the door cards and the center waterfall are the main culprits.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Mine is at the dealer for a second time in a few weeks right now trying to address the same driver's side window rattle (same rattle my '08 C63 had) and a nasty loud creak coming from the center-right portion of the dash that acts up anytime the front suspension compresses.

They said they "fixed" both these the first time and put 50 miles on my car and burned an entire tank of gas in doing so. Neither were fixed and obviously now I have brought the car in a second time. Their best explanation for the 50 miles on my car was "these problems can be difficult to diagnose." Bullsh*t, I replicated it for a tech driving it literally 100 feet over the nearest speed bump on the service drive. Just tell me the truth and someone drove it home for the night and probably ragged the crap out of it. How do you burn through an entire tank of gas (of course they did not fill it up, that's how I knew) while only driving 50 miles? Either driving it like a dumbass or leaving it running non-stop for hours on end. Both of which probably happened.

I can't even get a free detail out of them for all that. I was told, "it's very difficult to get a free detail because there's paperwork that must be filled out." Then fill the effing paperwork out! Thanks Park Place Mercedes!

Last edited by OrientBlue3; 12-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
21GT634DR, 17C63s, 08GL450
Second MB

So the lesson I learned when I purchased 2008 GL 450 was MB are rock solid when it comes to Engine. Beautiful MOTOR

Rest all is a different story. But I am a petrol head and I love MOTOR. My GL had bad times when i thought similar to Rubbish. However I still own it and I love it.

2017 C63s that I just bought has only 400 miles so cant complain. But I bet it won't be worst than GL. But MB makes very good MOTOR.

I Love MB even though my 2002 Lexus has touch screen navigation and my 2008 GL has worst interface navigation.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
Mine is at the dealer for a second time in a few weeks right now trying to address the same driver's side window rattle (same rattle my '08 C63 had) and a nasty loud creak coming from the center-right portion of the dash that acts up anytime the front suspension compresses.

They said they "fixed" both these the first time and put 50 miles on my car and burned an entire tank of gas in doing so. Neither were fixed and obviously now I have brought the car in a second time. Their best explanation for the 50 miles on my car was "these problems can be difficult to diagnose." Bullsh*t, I replicated it for a tech driving it literally 100 feet over the nearest speed bump on the service drive. Just tell me the truth and someone drove it home for the night and probably ragged the crap out of it. How do you burn through an entire tank of gas (of course they did not fill it up, that's how I knew) while only driving 50 miles? Either driving it like a dumbass or leaving it running non-stop for hours on end. Both of which probably happened.

I can't even get a free detail out of them for all that. I was told, "it's very difficult to get a free detail because there's paperwork that must be filled out." Then fill the effing paperwork out! Thanks Park Place Mercedes!
Activate mbrace (call using the button in your car), download the App, and you can get vehicle locating and tracking available next time you bring it in for service.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
21GT634DR, 17C63s, 08GL450
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Activate mbrace (call using the button in your car), download the App, and you can get vehicle locating and tracking available next time you bring it in for service.
Doesn't work for me. Locate for Mbrace for me only works within 1 mile of the car. If they drove it 10 miles away you can't track if they are on race track or underground parking racing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The C63S really IS built like rubbish