SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Sun Visor Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun Visor Mirror Replacement

Has anyone replaced only the mirror portion in the sun visor? (1993 SL500 Roadster). If so, how do you remove it from the visor without damaging the visor<
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
I replaced the Vanity Mirror Assembly (MB p/n: 129.810.23.17) in my '96 SL600 two weeks ago. Assuming the '93 visor is similar (should be), the mirror assembly is removed by pressing the bottom of the assembly upward, toward the top. Using a plastic wedge can help and the process is considerably easier if the hard top is off and soft top down.

There are tangs or fingers on the top and bottom of the mirror assembly that hold it in place, in the cavity within the sun visor. If you are replacing the assembly (as I did) with a new assembly, breaking a tang or two from the old assembly is not that big of a deal. But if you want to replace the one that comes out, then extreme care must be exercised! Caution: the plastic can become brittle over time and assuming yours has never been removed, it's ~14 years old.

The good news is installation of the (old or new) Vanity Mirror Assembly is a simple snap-in-place procedure. On my Vanity Mirror Assembly, there is no mounting hardware; I assume yours is the same. Once snapped back into place, ensure the vanity light activates properly when the mirror lid is opened and closed.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MB-Dude
I replaced the Vanity Mirror Assembly (MB p/n: 129.810.23.17) in my '96 SL600 two weeks ago. Assuming the '93 visor is similar (should be), the mirror assembly is removed by pressing the bottom of the assembly upward, toward the top. Using a plastic wedge can help and the process is considerably easier if the hard top is off and soft top down.

There are tangs or fingers on the top and bottom of the mirror assembly that hold it in place, in the cavity within the sun visor. If you are replacing the assembly (as I did) with a new assembly, breaking a tang or two from the old assembly is not that big of a deal. But if you want to replace the one that comes out, then extreme care must be exercised! Caution: the plastic can become brittle over time and assuming yours has never been removed, it's ~14 years old.

The good news is installation of the (old or new) Vanity Mirror Assembly is a simple snap-in-place procedure. On my Vanity Mirror Assembly, there is no mounting hardware; I assume yours is the same. Once snapped back into place, ensure the vanity light activates properly when the mirror lid is opened and closed.
Hello All...I need to replace the passenger side vanity mirror assembly and will be ordering on tomorrow...MB Dude had a nice write up of the process (above) but just curious if anyone has any additional tips - this seems pertty straighforward...? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by BRUCE BRADLEY
Has anyone replaced only the mirror portion in the sun visor? (1993 SL500 Roadster). If so, how do you remove it from the visor without damaging the visor<
Please read Sun Visor Mirror Replacement
I believe you will need p/n 1298101117 xxxx for your car. The xxxx represent the color code number for you color interior. Please call buy 'buymbparts.com' for the correct p/n and pricing.

Last edited by lynns; 10-15-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by lynns
Please read Sun Visor Mirror Replacement
I believe you will need p/n 1298101117 xxxx for your car. The xxxx represent the color code number for you color interior. Please call buy 'buymbparts.com' for the correct p/n and pricing.
Thanks - I'm picking up the part today...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by MB-Dude

Thanks for the write up. In addition I've posted some pictures that I hope will be helpful. Please see Sun Visor Mirror Replacement
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM

2005 CL600, 2000 SL500, 2007 VW Phaeton, 1931 Ford Model A Phaeton
wr