SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: leaking top cylinder-sl500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 SL500
leaking top cylinder-sl500

I need help on the instructions for the removal of the cylinders (leaking) next to the windshiled for the convertible top. Anyone have any thoughts? I was told someone here might have a video on line. Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lyvewireband; 07-20-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: no replys yet
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

2003 SL500
leaking top cylinders

easy to replace just take your time - get the parts from parts.com they are the cheapest.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by lyvewireband
I need help on the instructions for the removal of the cylinders (leaking) next to the windshiled for the convertible top. Anyone have any thoughts? I was told someone here might have a video on line. Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks in advance!
Here's the link to the R&R instructions and pix for the front latches.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/R129TopRelease

Many of us have the two cylinders rebuilt by Dennis Ficken in KS. Fast turnaround(couple days), inexpensive at $50@, and warranteed for 3yrs. If you decide to use him too, his contact info is

Mercedes Hydraulic Cylinder Rebuilder

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062
(913) 390-0506
mercedescylinders@sbcglobal.net

Good luck, have fun-

Bob

Last edited by BJonesFL; 07-21-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Pricing error
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM

'95 SL500
Talking THANKS!!!

You guys are the best. I lucked into finding this site, and I'm lucky I did!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM

'95 SL500
Excellent information presented very well. Thanks for the posting!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM

1998 SL500, Pano, Black/Black
There is a fellow in Kansas who rebuilds the cylinders for $50 each. Here is his contact information:

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, KS 66062

(913) 544-4521 Cell

Drop him an email and he will send you detailed instructions about how to R & R all of the cylinders. I have used him - he is great; I sent mine out on Monday from GA, had them back Saturday. He warrants his work for 3 years as long as you haven't used a stop leak product in your system.

Follow his instructions to the letter, especially the part about having all of the latches in the same position - either latched on unlatched; it is a good DIY project. I did the rear latchs, tonneau lifts and front latch cylinders - took about an hour to remove and two hour to reassemble. works great with no puddles behind the rear wheels.

Good luck..
Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM

94 SL600
Cylinder rebuilds

I thought I'd use Dennis Ficken as well. But then I dug some more in benzworld.org and found that Top Hydraulics, Inc. does the same thing. What sold me on them was that they are posting R&R instructions on their website, they are using better seal material than Mercedes, I could pay with a credit card, and they encouraged me to send the cylinders in with the locks attached. It looks like it saved a lot of work not to have to separate cylinders from the locks, and they did not charge extra.
Actually, I PMed several of the people on benzworld who had used Dennis Ficken several years back and asked if the cylinders had lasted. One wrote back that it had to be fixed again after two years. Maybe he is using the same material as Mercedes?

I mailed my package to them on Monday, and had it back on Friday. Couldn't be happier with the service.

Here is the info for Top Hydraulics:
www.tophydraulicsinc.com
541 902 3214

They have announced on benzworld that they are going to replace people's cylinders on the spot with a traveling mechanic - hooray!

Originally Posted by boydm
There is a fellow in Kansas who rebuilds the cylinders for $50 each. Here is his contact information:

Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, KS 66062

(913) 544-4521 Cell

Drop him an email and he will send you detailed instructions about how to R & R all of the cylinders. I have used him - he is great; I sent mine out on Monday from GA, had them back Saturday. He warrants his work for 3 years as long as you haven't used a stop leak product in your system.

Follow his instructions to the letter, especially the part about having all of the latches in the same position - either latched on unlatched; it is a good DIY project. I did the rear latchs, tonneau lifts and front latch cylinders - took about an hour to remove and two hour to reassemble. works great with no puddles behind the rear wheels.

Good luck..
Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM

1998 SL500, Pano, Black/Black
Glad Top Hydraulics worked out for you; sounds like both are good - I had similar service from Dennis; cylinders out on Monday (Atlanta to Kansas), I had them back and installed on Saturday. Dennis will send PDF instructions to you via email, and does accept locks with cylinders still in them (although I can't imagine anyone who is capable of pulling the latch to be incapable of using a 5mm or 6mm to remove the cylinder from the latch). Dennis does say he uses different seals from the MB seals, and he does warranty his rebuilt cylinders for 3 years as long as you don't use stop leak, so your "PM failure" should have gotten his fixed for free since it was at the 2 year mark. Credit card capability is a nice feature with Top Hydraulics, but I just put a check in the box I sent to Dennis.

It is good to have two sources.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM

SL 500
Dennis is the best, he even has done them over-night for me!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
Happycamper

Great posting. I found instructions for changing cylinders and place to get replacements. Great thread and good information.