SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 SL 320 Battery Change Issues

Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL 320
R129 SL 320 Battery Change Issues

Hello all,

Not been here for a long time and apologies if this topic is already covered. Since I bought my 1999 SL 320 8 years ago I hadn't changed the battery; after leaving it in the garage for a month or two, not surprisingly it was flat and I had it changed. The tech did the usual twisting of the wheel to reset the usual dash lights and then sorted the windows.

Then I took it for a drive and it wouldn't change up under hard acceleration; in fact it didn't want to rev at all to the redline even thought it was changing gears OK under more gentle (normal) driving conditions and changing manually OK.

Point is - here is the solution. With the engine off, turn key to ignition 1 and leave for 5 minutes. You might need to do this more than once. Apparently it is something to do with the adaptive throttle needing to be reset. Anyway, after doing this twice, all is 100%.

Hope this saves someone an expensive trip to a STAR computer!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Interesting; never heard of that one. For resetting the transmission adaptations on my '05 S55, I follow these steps:
1) Turn the ignition key to the "on" position, but do not start the engine.
2) Press the gas pedal to the WOT (Wide Open Throttle) position and hold it for 5 seconds (sometimes 10 seconds is needed).
3) While holding the WOT, turn the key to the off position but don't remove the key.
4) Release the throttle.
5) Wait 2 minutes.
6) Start Car / Drive.

This procedure worked first time on my S55 and the transmission shifting was far more exhilarating afterward. Since the transmissions are virtually the same type (though there will be differences), it *may* work in your '99. Truth be told, simply haven't tried it on my '96 SL600. Might be worth a try. Technical food for consumption.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by bullockandrew
Then I took it for a drive and it wouldn't change up under hard acceleration; in fact it didn't want to rev at all to the redline even thought it was changing gears OK under more gentle (normal) driving conditions and changing manually OK.

Point is - here is the solution. With the engine off, turn key to ignition 1 and leave for 5 minutes. You might need to do this more than once. Apparently it is something to do with the adaptive throttle needing to be reset. Anyway, after doing this twice, all is 100%.
Your car was exhibiting what is known as Limp Home Mode. Do a Forum Search or Google for an explanation.

If the battery was changed out properly you shouldn't have any problems. It's very important that the Neg. terminal be removed first and put back on last otherwise a short to the system can occur. I just changed out my 2000 SL battery with NO problems.
Then:
1) synch. the ESP
2) synch the Windows
3) insert the Radio Code
4) adjust the Clock

Note: you should not have any concern with regard to the Drive by Wire Throttle or the Driver adaptive electronic 5-speed transmission.