SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Front soft top locks

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 SL320
Front soft top locks

Has anyone had trouble getting the top released manually from the front locks..?
I am having that problem right now....someone along the way stripped out the lock bolt and now I can't even move it with a easy out..no matter how much pressure I put on it, trying to turn it a half-turn counter clockwise to release it.
Also, I don't know how to get to the lock, how do you take the trim and rearview mirror housing apart, don't see any screws or clips or nothing..?

Anyone on here have any Ideas..? I would greatly appreciate any Help...Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 PM

82 380SL 96 SL500
I can tell you that you have to have the top down to access the latches.

Top really wasn't intended to be used manually other than in an emergency, explaining the screwed up latch. Looks like it might be a good time to fix the power top.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM

1995 SL320
It was an emergency..I've only had the car a week..had trouble with the power top...wouldn't release the locks..then tried to manually release them and that did'nt work either..and not knowing much about the car in only a week without a owners manual or repair manual..kinda leaves me in a jam for right now.
Just trying to figure out how to get the locks released, in this situation.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
The MB hex/box wrench tool is a 6mm?? hex size. It goes staight on the plug hole, about 1cm. the turn of the handle that is hanging down from the top of the windschield is about 10% of a circle. Drive side first, then passenger side the same 1/6 of a turn, back to the driver to complete the last small partial turn. I usually push upward from the inside. Locking is the same multiple step, side to side with a pull down force. The back latch is the other end of the wrench in the car's tool kit. It too is a partial turn of the lever. ( you will not be loosening a bolt! ) The same thin box wrench is used to release the soft top leather covered tonneau. The tool was shipped in its own instruction plastic sleeve. Lighthouse ( top hydraulics ) has been my mentor on these issues. this process is not a strength issue.
Good luck.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Dealing with a stripped front latch

Please remember that the wrench has to be turned in different directions for left and right side, and that the ignition must be off.

The right side needs to be turned counter-clockwise for manual release, and the left side clockwise.

If the Allen bolt is stripped, then you should replace the lock after you manage to unlock the top one more time.

The soft top tool is indeed a 6-mm Allen wrench, and a T-40 star wrench does the trick, as well. If you are lucky, you can pound a larger star wrench into the stripped bolt and manage to turn the latch.

-Klaus

klaus@tophydraulicsinc.com